Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

Bluetooth Streaming Audio Options

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2020, 08:56 AM
New Members

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
My Ride: 2007 530i, N52, 6MT, M-ASK, Mystikblau
Default Bluetooth Streaming Audio Options

I have been playing with many different options for using Bluetooth audio streaming with my E60 and wanted to share my experience. I hope this info is helpful. I'm no expert so if anyone has more info, please post it.

My car is a North American (US) 2007 530i (built 4/06) with M-ASK Business Radio (not Logic 7, no Nav) with factory Bluetooth phone/telematics (TCU module), CD Changer prep option, and factory AUX input.

I use an Android phone with Spotify and Pandora for streaming music.

Here are the options I have tried along with my comments:

=============Analog Audio Adapters (AUX Input)==============
All these options send audio through the analog Aux input on the M-ASK/CCC/CIC. Some cars have an Aux port in the center console, some have it in the rear console, others may have it in the glove box, and many don't have any visible aux jack anywhere! All the cars have the physical connections on the back of the radio for aux input. If you don't have an "AUX" tab on your main radio screen, you will need to code the feature using NCS Expert. There are plenty of YouTube videos and tutorials on how to code in the Aux option so I won't go over that here. Once the option is enabled, you can choose to buy a cable to plug into the rear of the radio which will provide a standard female 1/8" jack for line input or you can connect one of the many other devices listed here directly to the jack on the back of the radio. Some options let you do both.

<u>Hardwire aux cable from phone to AUX in port</u> Hardwire aux cable from phone to AUX in port

Pro: Very cheap (~$8 USD). Idiot proof.
Con: No control over tracks or track info display other than via phone. Audio quality is lacking bass (already removed capacitors from jack according to forum posts). Engine whine if charging phone from cigarette lighter socket.

<u>Hardwired Bluetooth adapter into AUX wires behind radio</u> Hardwired Bluetooth adapter into AUX wires behind radio

Pro: Pretty cheap (~$30 USD). No engine whine in audio while charging phone.
Con: Sound still lacks bass. Still no control or track info display. In theory, worse sound quality than AUX headphone jack due to A2DP Bluetooth audio compression.

Android Headunit or CarPlay/Android Auto Headunit (CID replacement)
Pro: Looks very modern, makes car feel newer than it is. Adds many features like Netflix, GPS Navigation, Bluetooth phone, Backup camera, etc. No coding other than for AUX in enablement. Uses iDrive controller and steering wheel buttons for control.
Con: Very expensive ($300-$500 USD), still uses AUX input so sound still lacks bass, glossy screen has too many reflections, screen is too bright at night and not bright enough in daylight, UI is buggy and slow. Installation can be challenging due to poor documentation.

MMI Adapter (Andriod or CarPlay)
Pro: Adds most of the same features as the unit above, but uses the factory screen. I feel like this is a good thing because the factory screen is transflective and works well in all light conditions whereas the CID replacement units use cheap glossy touchscreens which are high resolution, but unusable in many lighting conditions. It is a stealth install so the car retains the factory look.
Con: Almost as expensive as the CID replacements. Not high resolution (factory screen is pretty low def). Not compatible with every version of M-ASK/CCC/CIC so you have to do some research before you buy. Still sends audio via Aux input.

=============MOST Bus Fiber Optic Audio Bluetooth Adapters==============
MOST bus based adapters can emulate the OEM CD Changer or emulate the OEM IPOD adapter which allows for track info display on the screen. Depending on the hardware revision of your car and the software level it is running, you may have to use one mode or the other, some experimentation required. These adapters work with many brands that use the MOST bus (Audi, VW, Jaguar, Land Rover, etc.) and must be configured with DIP switches to match your car and configuration.

To use the CD Changer emulation mode, remove the CDC Prep option($697) from the vehicle order (VO) then add the CDC option ($672).
To use the iPod emulation mode, remove the CDC Prep option ($697) or CDC codes ($672) and add "+IPOD" to the VO.
Write the VO to the CAS and LM modules using NCS Expert.
Perform a default coding on the M-ASK/CCC/CIC unit using NCS Expert (blank man file) which will tell the M-ASK/CCC/CIC to set itself up based on the parameters stored in the VO. This should enable and disable the options necessary to make these features work correctly. Some threads talk about adding the "+MP3" code to the VO but I think that's to enable MP3 playback from a data CD. This functions might provide you with title text display in CD Changer emulation mode, but I couldn't get that to work on my car.

In CD Changer emulation mode you can use the Bluetooth streaming by selecting the CD tab on the main radio screen. You will see tabs for CD1, CD2, CD3, etc. I forget which one is the Bluetooth streaming, but you'll know because it won't be grayed out. All the other CD tabs will not be selectable. The track forward and back buttons on the steering wheel will change tracks on your phone, but there will be no track info displayed on the screen.

In iPod emulation mode you use the Bluetooth streaming by selecting the CD tab on the main radio screen. You will see an MP3 1 tab, then CD2, CD3, CD4, etc. Select the MP3 1 tab and you will be presented with a menu interface for setting up the Bluetooth and displaying track info. Track title and artist information is displayed and the buttons on the steering wheel will change tracks.

Some adapters offer the ability to use Bluetooth for handsfree phone calls as well as for audio streaming. If you purchase/enable this option the adapter will function like the OEM Telematics Control Unit (TCU) and will have the exact same screens, layout, and functionality of the factory Bluetooth option. The only difference is that the microphone isn't the factory one and won't blend in. If you already have a usable TCU with Bluetooth there's no reason to purchase/enable this feature on these MOST based adapters.

Some adapters offer Aux line input, USB ports for playing MP3 from external hard drives, and/or SD card slots for playing MP3's from a flash card. I haven't evaluated these features since I only use the streaming function.

Some adapters have dual MOST interfaces so that you can retain the existing CD Changer. In this case there is a physical switch which must be changed to "Bypass" the adapter and the car will only see the CD Changer.

Mr12Volt/LA Power MOST Bluetooth Adapter
Pro: Uses fiber optic network for audio so quality is excellent, stealth install, can replace factory TCU, has aux input jack and SD card slot.
Con: Expensive-ish (~$200 USD), didn't work reliably in iPod emulation mode on my car, not a lot of documentation available, support is so-so, appears to be a Chinese clone of the Dension unit. Does not show up in ISTA+ bus scan properly in either CDC or iPod mode which causes a MOST bus communication fault but doesn't seem to cause any problems or light up any lights on dash board.

Dension Gateway 500S BT
Pro: Uses fiber optic network for audio so quality is excellent, stealth install, can replace factory TCU, has aux input jack and USB ports for USB hard drive playback. Shows up as factory IPOD adapter in ISTA+ (shown as Alpine iPod Adapter), track info is reliably displayed even on my older Pre-LCI car. Customer support is good. Documentation is pretty good (website has lots of FAQ info, lots of forum posts about this product).
Con: Very Expensive (~$500 USD). Latest firmware is critical for proper functionality. Make sure to power it from switched power (purple/white wire on radio) and load the BMW specific firmware version 65z which switches input to Bluetooth as soon as it connects (vs having to manually switch inputs every time you get in the car).

Mobridge M2.Connect (no first hand experience with this unit)
Pro: Company has some high end audio processing products. Does not look like a Dension clone.
Con: Even more expensive (~$600 USD)

FISCON Pro for BMW E Series (no first hand experience with this)
Pro: Has optional microphone that integrates into factory mic location for a clean install if using the TCU replacement option for Bluetooth calling.
Con: Expensive (~$475 USD), looks like it might only be available in Europe.

Trioma SKIF USB Adapter with Bluetooth adapter
This Russian product might be good, haven't been able to read much of anything about it and I'm not even sure how much it costs or if it's even available in North America. Bluetooth phone calling appears to be optional.

GROM-MST4 MOST Adapter with Bluetooth adapter
$340 for this kit with adapter. Have heard a few good things on forum posts, but don't know much about it.

==================Other===================
These options are for total system replacement. There are many companies offering CIC upgrades, some with MULF1, MULF2, or COMBOX options. If you have a good junkyard nearby or a donor car and plenty of time to waste, you could probably do these retrofits cheaply.

CIC or NBT Retrofit with MULF2 High (no first hand experience with this)
Pro: Factory parts and software so it is as authentic as you can get
Con: Super expensive (>$2000 USD), not an easy install (must add harnesses, custom wiring, advanced coding).

Bluetooth to FM Tuner
There are some devices that will rebroadcast your Bluetooth streaming audio to one of the local FM channels that you can then tune your radio to. The sound quality will not be great, however the bass will probably be very good since FM seems to have an equalizer applied to it. Absolutely no modification needed to the car, and it's a portable and cheap option!

These are all the options I have found. If anyone has experience with other options, please share them!

Last edited by gte024h; 02-01-2024 at 05:49 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by gte024h:
bmw7882 (07-19-2022), jae350gt (05-05-2022)
Old 11-05-2020, 12:28 PM
Administrator

Received 96 Likes on 92 Posts
My Ride: 530xi
Model Year: 2007
Engine: N52

Thanks for your review! So which option did you decide to stick with?
Old 11-05-2020, 01:12 PM
New Members

Right now I am using the Dension 500S BT.

The Dension 500S BT works on switched power so long as it is switched with the radio. I used the white/purple wire (pin 13) on the radio harness which is the accessory 12v output. It turns off after 5-10 minutes and turns on as soon as you unlock the car or open a door. With the Dension wired that way, the "High Battery Drain" message is gone and everything works. The only downside is that the Dension defaults to Aux-in input on power up. There is a special firmware (065z) that is in the Dension knowledge base which defaults the input to Bluetooth audio and I will try it to see if that helps.

The only other draw back to this setup is that it will lose your playback position if playing MP3's from the USB port. I haven't touched an MP3 in years so, not really a problem for me.

I have disabled the phone feature since my factory TCU works fine and I don't feel like removing that feature (bypassing the TCU, removing the SOS button, changing the VO, etc).

I am curious about the Mobridge, but it's just so much money to spend on something that might not work correctly. It seems all these devices are buggy in one way or another.

Last edited by gte024h; 11-06-2020 at 11:14 AM.
Old 11-05-2020, 02:48 PM
New Members

I should mention that all these options should work the same with Logic 7 or Individual Audio speaker setups. I don't have CCC or CIC iDrive so I can't speak to compatibility, but the documentation indicates that they work with the MOST based adapters.

I have also retrofitted HD Radio (digital tuner option) on the MOST bus. It should not interfere with these adapters, but maybe it's the cause of some of the bugs I've seen?
Old 04-14-2021, 08:25 PM
New Members

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: e61 535xi

I just ordered this, I will report back if it works / works well.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bluetooth-5...53.m2749.l2649
Seems like a super simple solution
Old 04-15-2021, 05:58 AM
Administrator

Received 96 Likes on 92 Posts
My Ride: 530xi
Model Year: 2007
Engine: N52

Originally Posted by OjaiM5
Seems like a super simple solution
As long as you have a USB port. Pre-LCI cars do not.
Old 05-11-2021, 06:04 PM
New Members

FYI this little Bugger does work. $5

EDIT>>>>>It works OK, The sound is not as good as just the Jack. Probably wold not suggest it : (

Last edited by OjaiM5; 05-12-2021 at 12:14 PM.
Old 12-06-2021, 02:12 PM
New Members

Ok, I just got this in the mail today. The shipping was fairly fast and unlike the one I tested above, this one works great. No missing music data. Very happy with it for $16.https://www.ebay.com/itm/31317674724...53.m2749.l2649
Old 02-01-2024, 05:34 PM
New Members

Just tried the Mr12Volt P2000 MMI interface. It is a MOST based audio interface that also intercepts the video signal going to the CID screen so that it can display Apple CarPlay or Android Auto. It is a pretty simple install, though be careful to code the CDC option into your VO and then default code your M-ASK/CCC/CIC *before* you install this device. Once the P2000 device is installed, NCSExpert won't be able to properly code any device connected to the MOST bus.

Unfortunately, this device didn't work out for me, at least not yet. The audio quality was great, and the video interface looked pretty good considering my 6.5" low resolution CID, BUT the iDrive controller didn't work properly. It didn't recognize scrolling or left/right input, just up and down. So the interface was pretty useless, though good looking! I suspect that I got a defective unit and have put in a support request. I'll update my post if I get a resolution.

After changing dip switch 1, my iDrive controller works normally. This is, BY FAR, the best upgrade for the basic 6.5" M-ASK system. The only thing better would be a CIC retrofit... with this P2000 attached. Wireless Android Auto and Apple Car Play both work perfectly, the sound quality is excellent, and the UI is responsive. The low resolution of the factory screen is not great, but most everything is legible. I will post screenshots later once I have replaced my LCD panel since my factory panel has bubbled up in the corner and doesn't look great (though it is usable).

Last edited by gte024h; 02-23-2024 at 02:55 PM.
Old 03-03-2024, 11:55 AM
New Members

Here are some screenshots showing the Android Auto interface as well as the parametric EQ settings. This is the Mr12Volt P2000 interface with the factory CID screen showing Waze while streaming audio via Spotify on Android Auto. The screen resolution is low and you can see on the photos how blocky the text looks, but that's a close up picture. From the drivers seat, the resolution looks ok and it's very usable. The screen refresh rate is pretty good and the colors are ok. I would not want to watch a movie on the factory LCD screen, but for navigation and album artwork, it is fine. I think if your car has the CCC with NAV or CIC then your screen will be higher resolution and look a good bit better than my base model 6.5" screen.

The big reason this kit is better than the Android screens is that the audio is using the fiber optic MOST bus and sounds really good. It should also be mentioned that Bluetooth streaming uses A2DP resampling and compression whereas Android Auto does not stream audio via Bluetooth. It uses WiFi to transmit the audio and video and from what little info I can find on line, the audio is not resampled or compressed. Plus the factory screen seems to perform better than most of the Android screens in direct sunlight. The steering wheel controls for volume and track skipping work great. The iDrive knob works well for controlling the Android Auto interface and it's the only options since the factory screen is not touch (and too far away to touch anyways).

I have not had any high battery drain messages or other unusual behavior. ISTA+ has some trouble scanning the MOST bus with this unit installed. I would recommend switching to the BMW home screen and disconnect any phones from the P2000 (turn off bluetooth and wifi) before trying to scan with ISTA+. The P2000 shows up as two unknown devices on the MOST bus: an MMI interface and a CD Changer. Neither device is accessible within ISTA+ but that shouldn't be a problem. I got many errors when trying to use WinKFP and NCSExpert while the P2000 was installed so you may need to uninstall it temporarily when coding or flashing firmware.

Here are the photos:

Last edited by gte024h; 03-07-2024 at 01:25 PM.

Quick Reply: Bluetooth Streaming Audio Options