Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

Bluetooth Statement from BMWNA

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2004, 06:48 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pharding' date='Nov 3 2004, 09:50 AM
Wassy:

I was being cynical.? I guess my humor blew over your head.? My dealer was awesome.? BMW was awesome.? They did what I asked them to do.? I am thrilled with Bluetooth in my e60.?
[snapback]52358[/snapback]

Oops.. guess I'm the one off kilter!
Old 11-03-2004, 07:16 AM
Members

I was being cynical. I guess my humor blew over your head. My dealer
I was being cynical. I guess my humor blew over your head. My dealer was awesome. BMW was awesome. They did what I asked them to do. I am thrilled with Bluetooth in my e60.
[snapback]52358[/snapback]
[/quote]

I second wassy's comments. I understand you were only being cynical

pharding: many thanks for pioneering this long awaited and promised function

you brought together a team of experts to tackle this problem and found a successful solution for all

you are certainly a subject matter expert BMW can refer to now

enjoy your bluetooth.......
Old 11-14-2004, 06:28 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i. Titanium Grey. SMG. Sports Pkg. HUD. Logic7. Navigation. PDC. Rear/Side Sunshades. Power seats.

I just bought a 2005 545i two days ago. I'm trying to get it to work with my Motorola V710. However, I'm having problems syncing up. The screen says 'Please active phone', then it finds my cell phone. After that it says 'Please wait'. A moment later the system disconnects. And it goes on and on with the connect/disconnect cycle.

Just curious as to whether the general bluetooth problem is still prevalent, or is this my error somehow.
Old 11-14-2004, 07:22 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 11 550i Sophisto Gray/Oyster Black/Anthracite, Sprt Trns, DHP, IAS, SP, PP1, PP2, CWP, HUD, DAP, AVSP, SF RS, CA, ACC - Euro Del

The phone is not compatible. See the attached BMW documents for compatible phones. Motorola RAZR V3 is believed to be compatible also.

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?act=...e=post&id=3687
Old 11-14-2004, 07:35 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

Originally Posted by NewBiemer' date='Nov 14 2004, 08:28 PM
I just bought a 2005 545i two days ago. I'm trying to get it to work with my Motorola V710. However, I'm having problems syncing up. The screen says 'Please active phone', then it finds my cell phone. After that it says 'Please wait'. A moment later the system disconnects. And it goes on and on with the connect/disconnect cycle.

Just curious as to whether the general bluetooth problem is still prevalent, or is this my error somehow.
[snapback]56245[/snapback]

I have the same phone. The BT in my car works fine with other phones like the V600. Verizon has crippled the V710. Supposedly there is a firmware update (available at your Verizon store) that is due within a few weeks that will update the phone and enable full BT compatibility. No guarantees that it will work even then with the BMW ULF but there is a very good chance that it will, because every other Motorola with BT is compatible. If it doesn't work I will probably switch to Cingular/ATT where I can enjoy a better phone selection.
Old 11-15-2004, 12:23 AM
Senior Members

welcome aboard, newbiemer !
Old 11-15-2004, 08:13 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Hormazd' date='Nov 14 2004, 11:35 PM
[quote name='NewBiemer' date='Nov 14 2004, 08:28 PM']I just bought a 2005 545i two days ago. I'm trying to get it to work with my Motorola V710. However, I'm having problems syncing up. The screen says 'Please active phone', then it finds my cell phone. After that it says 'Please wait'. A moment later the system disconnects. And it goes on and on with the connect/disconnect cycle.

[snapback]56245[/snapback]

I have the same phone. The BT in my car works fine with other phones like the V600. Verizon has crippled the V710. Supposedly there is a firmware update (available at your Verizon store) that is due within a few weeks that will update the phone and enable full BT compatibility. No guarantees that it will work even then with the BMW ULF but there is a very good chance that it will, because every other Motorola with BT is compatible. If it doesn't work I will probably switch to Cingular/ATT where I can enjoy a better phone selection.
[snapback]56259[/snapback]
[/quote]

So do I have the V710. Almost every source I speak/ read about this says the firmware upgrade is coming the end of this month, end of year at the latest. The fallout Verizon is experiencing is horrible and they must do this as planned.

CDMA is the most capable network, especially for data. The other networks use some form of GSM / TDMA, but the V710 works on both. Read this http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=...+phone++network

I think it is worth the wait till the end of the year, and worth the gamble.

Someday, we will look back on this and laugh. The cell phone carriers really have no business dictating what hardware we must purchase. If the carriers don't satisfy the customers, the Feds will likely break up Verizon, like they did AT&T.
Old 11-15-2004, 09:02 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

Originally Posted by wnrussell' date='Nov 15 2004, 10:13 AM
Someday, we will look back on this and laugh.? The cell phone carriers really have no business dictating what hardware we must purchase.? If the carriers don't satisfy the customers, the Feds will likely break up Verizon, like they did AT&T.
[snapback]56425[/snapback]
Bill, don't hold your breath on that. I think the industry is changing. The Carriers have the manufacturers by the balls. Fridays WSJ had an article about how Vodafone dictates exact specs and branding to the manufacturers. The carrot they dangle is an order for 10s of millions of cellphones. Nokia tried not to play ball, but then caved in to market forces. Vodafon is the largest carrier in Europe and owns just less than half of Verizon Wireless in the USA. Now the only hope is that the market will make the carriers play ball. The Cingular/ATT merger is making their network more and more attractive. I will miss 1RX but will move to them if my V710 isn't fixed soon.
Old 11-15-2004, 11:09 AM
Members

Thanks again to pharding for pioneering this little upgrade. I've been using mine now for 1 week and have no problem whatsoever with either sound quality or connections. That's not to say the computer doesn't have the occaissional hiccup, but that's been going on since day one.
July 04 build
545 Sport
Old 11-15-2004, 02:04 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Hormazd' date='Nov 15 2004, 01:02 PM
[quote name='wnrussell' date='Nov 15 2004, 10:13 AM']Someday, we will look back on this and laugh.? The cell phone carriers really have no business dictating what hardware we must purchase.? If the carriers don't satisfy the customers, the Feds will likely break up Verizon, like they did AT&T.
[snapback]56425[/snapback]
Bill, don't hold your breath on that. I think the industry is changing. The Carriers have the manufacturers by the balls. Fridays WSJ had an article about how Vodafone dictates exact specs and branding to the manufacturers. The carrot they dangle is an order for 10s of millions of cellphones. Nokia tried not to play ball, but then caved in to market forces. Vodafon is the largest carrier in Europe and owns just less than half of Verizon Wireless in the USA. Now the only hope is that the market will make the carriers play ball. The Cingular/ATT merger is making their network more and more attractive. I will miss 1RX but will move to them if my V710 isn't fixed soon.
[snapback]56447[/snapback]
[/quote]

Yeah, Hormazd, I agree with what you are saying, and I'll jump ship on Verizon when I'm convinced they don't come through soon, too.

But I wonder, with BT becoming the standard in so many cars, and with laws cropping up in so many states which restrict cellphone usage while driving, and the safety issues that will come up - accidents happening because the safest solution was not available to the users.

Think about it. The potential liabilities to Verizon could not be worth it. Maybe the engineers really are working on testing Christmas phones for now though.

We really ought to move this thread to the other one about the V710...

Quick Reply: Bluetooth Statement from BMWNA