Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

Bluetooth retrofit quote

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2004, 07:22 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I got quoted GBP 1700 for a bluetooth retrofit today. The car is not prewired appearantly.. What do you guys think? Over the top or not?
Mind you, I could not specify it at time of ordering..
Old 08-04-2004, 07:48 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by Flowerfred' date='Aug 4 2004, 05:22 PM
I got quoted GBP 1700 for a bluetooth retrofit today.
Ouch, that hurts...
Old 08-04-2004, 07:56 AM
Senior Members

Flowerfred,

That is a rip off. The system is fairly good but I've found the reception in the UK via the car's aerial to be very poor at times.

On the subject of Bluetooth, I had reason to be driving my Z4 yesterday whilst a colleague was following me in my 530d. Every time he got within 30 feet or so of me my phone (which was in my Z4) kept acquiring the Bluetooth in the 5!
Old 08-04-2004, 08:45 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by ISUK' date='Aug 4 2004, 09:56 AM
Flowerfred,

That is a rip off. The system is fairly good but I've found the reception in the UK via the car's aerial to be very poor at times.

On the subject of Bluetooth, I had reason to be driving my Z4 yesterday whilst a colleague was following me in my 530d. Every time he got within 30 feet or so of me my phone (which was in my Z4) kept acquiring the Bluetooth in the 5!
two comments:
signal/antennae capability is based on 1.location and 2.network provider -- the antennae in the car itself is more than capable
and
i like to sometimes try to acquire the BT of others whilst at standstill on the motorways - great sport!
Old 08-04-2004, 01:23 PM
Contributors

Dear Flowerfred,

To me it's surpricing that you can get a Bluetooth retrofit at all to a European E60 with Navi. Prof. Is there any chance that you can get the part no. for that retrofit ???

Gretings from Sweden !

Peter
Old 08-04-2004, 10:22 PM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

Originally Posted by Flowerfred' date='Aug 4 2004, 09:22 AM
I got quoted GBP 1700 for a bluetooth retrofit today. The car is not prewired appearantly.. What do you guys think? Over the top or not?
Mind you, I could not specify it at time of ordering..
Definately a rip off. That really is too much money for a carphone.
Old 08-05-2004, 12:16 AM
Senior Members

Skidster,

My comment about the aerial capability is in relation to previous experience of cars fitted with normal car phone kits and the foil strip windscreen aerial. Reception with that set up was vastly superior to the BMW aerial. I find that there are large sections of the route that I travel daily where the BMW system gets nil reception yet in my previous X5 with standard car kit I had no trouble at all. I am still with the same service provider - Vodafone - and still using the same phone.

A friend who has a bluetooth equipped 530d has also reported the same problem and he is on the Orange network. He had a Nokia Bluetooth set up in his last 523i and had much better reception. On this basis I would say the BMW aerial IS the culprit.
Old 08-05-2004, 12:40 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW 545iA Black Sapphire
Model Year: 2005
Engine: 545i

Yeah, too much...just go for a bluetooth kit from Nokia or Sony Eriksson, which
you can find at your normal mobile phone outlet.
Old 08-05-2004, 07:52 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by andy545' date='Aug 5 2004, 09:40 AM
Yeah, too much...just go for a bluetooth kit from Nokia or Sony Eriksson, which
you can find at your normal mobile phone outlet.
I know, but one of the reasons for getting the 5 was the minimalistic (is that a word?) looks of the dash. To clutter it up with bluetooth kits and radar detectors would defeat that purpose a bit IMHO..
It is dear though..
Old 08-05-2004, 07:54 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by plindegaard' date='Aug 4 2004, 10:23 PM
Is there any chance that you can get the part no. for that retrofit ???
I sent an email to the tech guy, I'll let you know if and when it comes in.

Quick Reply: Bluetooth retrofit quote