Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

BlueTooth- Which phone, whose service?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2005, 11:00 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, so I pick up my new '05 545 this saturday (6 sp manual/Silver-Grey/Black Dakota/Satellite/etc), and I have been reading threads all over the place regarding BlueTooth, Verizon crippling phones, etc., etc., etc. I am off contract with Verizon, so I can change phones and/or carriers. At this point in time, who/what would you go with? I am kinda torn between Cingular/RAZR vs Verizon/V710 (but only if the phone is not crippled).

Any suggestions for best phone, best carrier to work with my E60 BlueTooth would greatly appreciated! FWIW I am in Phoenix (picking car up in LA, nice break-in drive!), and I do need good coverage both in/out of the car....thanks!
Old 03-10-2005, 11:11 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Marzzz' date='Mar 10 2005, 03:00 PM
Ok, so I pick up my new '05 545 this saturday (6 sp manual/Silver-Grey/Black Dakota/Satellite/etc), and I have been reading threads all over the place regarding BlueTooth, Verizon crippling phones, etc., etc., etc. I am off contract with Verizon, so I can change phones and/or? carriers.? At this point in time, who/what would you go with? I am kinda torn between Cingular/RAZR vs Verizon/V710 (but only if the phone is not crippled).

Any suggestions for best phone, best carrier to work with my E60 BlueTooth would greatly appreciated! FWIW I am in Phoenix (picking car up in LA, nice break-in drive!), and I do need good coverage both in/out of the car....thanks!
[snapback]99659[/snapback]
Between the two I would go for Cingular/RAZR if the Cingular coverage in your area is adequate. Cingular has been the best US network as far as supporting Bluetooth enabled phones early and fully vs. Verizon or Sprint. I did Cingular/SE T637 but I like candy bar phones better than flip phones and have been very pleased (in the car and out). Plus with number portability you can just take your Verizon number with you.

My $0.02
Old 03-10-2005, 11:12 AM
Contributors

welcome Marzzz

thanks to BMW owners threats and some class actions, Verizon has opened up the V710 to fully function in BMWs via BT...
Old 03-10-2005, 01:21 PM
Senior Members

moto razr is an incredible phone, I bought it from Cingular but use it on T-mobile. Cingular probably has more coverage, and lately T-mobile has ripped me off on fees (used the phone during a week trip in Mexico and got a bill for $400!)
Old 03-10-2005, 01:36 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

I cancelled my Verizon contarct and gave the V710 to a co-worker. I have a RAZR and just love the phone and ofcourse it works great with the BMW.

That said, Verizon's coverage is still superior and the V710 with the fix, which I believe is being sold at Verizon stores also works flawlessly with the E60. The reason I like the RAZR is non other than form factor. I like the fact that it is so light and that I don't notice it in my pocket. Other than that an upgraded V710 will do a great job.

Your call.
Old 03-10-2005, 04:34 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Marzzz' date='Mar 10 2005, 03:00 PM
Ok, so I pick up my new '05 545 this saturday (6 sp manual/Silver-Grey/Black Dakota/Satellite/etc), and I have been reading threads all over the place regarding BlueTooth, Verizon crippling phones, etc., etc., etc. I am off contract with Verizon, so I can change phones and/or? carriers.? At this point in time, who/what would you go with? I am kinda torn between Cingular/RAZR vs Verizon/V710 (but only if the phone is not crippled).

I've tried both and with the 710 fix, it, like the Razr works fine. The profile of each is a personal thing, but the big difference to me is that the 710 has voice recognition and the Razr does not.
Old 03-10-2005, 04:57 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

Originally Posted by hinckley' date='Mar 10 2005, 05:34 PM
[quote name='Marzzz' date='Mar 10 2005, 03:00 PM']Ok, so I pick up my new '05 545 this saturday (6 sp manual/Silver-Grey/Black Dakota/Satellite/etc), and I have been reading threads all over the place regarding BlueTooth, Verizon crippling phones, etc., etc., etc. I am off contract with Verizon, so I can change phones and/or? carriers.? At this point in time, who/what would you go with? I am kinda torn between Cingular/RAZR vs Verizon/V710 (but only if the phone is not crippled).

I've tried both and with the 710 fix, it, like the Razr works fine. The profile of each is a personal thing, but the big difference to me is that the 710 has voice recognition and the Razr does not.
[snapback]99814[/snapback]
[/quote]

You have to program your voice commands in the RAZR. But it does have them. Ofcourse the car reads your phone book on the RAZR like the V710
Old 03-10-2005, 05:22 PM
Members

My Ride: Born Date 9, 1 2004. 2005 530i, silver gray, steptronic, nav, Adaptive xenon, premium pkg, cold weather pkg, premium sound pkg, Euro rear reflector. MP3 Enabled

I also switched from verizon to cingular when 710 didn't work with BMW.
I saw many people complaining with cingular network, but so far for 4months.. I am happy with cingular and my monthly statements has been reduced.

I tried with 710 and with my RAZR, both of them worked fine, but like hormazd said, RAZR fits perfectly in my pocket and not noticeable along with awsome design.

If you use bluetooth lot from BMW, it's good idea to get 710, since they have cradle, but RAZR doesn't. Still I am happy wiht my RAZR, I don't need cradle, since phone never comes out from my pocket.

It's your call..

and by the way, welcome a board.
Old 03-11-2005, 05:59 AM
Members

Thanks everyone! Just what I thought, it's a toss-up....as far as form factor, I like the RAZR (though it is a lot larger in reality than in pics) because I have to have my phone on me all the time, but I am wary of the Cingular network in general. One thing I can say for Verizon is that my current phone works everywhere (except my house???).

Picking up my new car tomorrow....pretty exciting in that after two E39's ('97, '02) this is going to be like a NEW new car!
Old 03-11-2005, 06:25 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Marzzz' date='Mar 11 2005, 06:59 AM
Thanks everyone! Just what I thought, it's a toss-up....as far as form factor, I like the RAZR (though it is a lot larger in reality than in pics) because I have to have my phone on me all the time, but I am wary of the Cingular network in general. One thing I can say for Verizon is that my current phone works everywhere (except my house???).

Picking up my new car tomorrow....pretty exciting in that after two E39's ('97, '02) this is going to be like a NEW new car!
[snapback]100023[/snapback]
Cingular has a 30 day trial period for you to test their network. Forward your Verizon number to your RAZR. Try it out for sound quality and coverage. If you don't like it return it for a full refund within the trial period. All you will pay is air time. If you like it port the Verizon number over to Cingular.

Quick Reply: BlueTooth- Which phone, whose service?