Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

BLUETOOTH MYSTERY

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 05:49 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550i sport

In your idrive from the main menu you press down once, then under your communications settings menu, you should have a very obvious option to turn bluetooth on and off. If this is not there, you will need an idrive update.
Old 04-01-2009, 06:01 PM
Members

My Ride: '04 545I SPORTS SUPENSION DINAN CAI DINAN STAGE 2 WISH LIST: RPI SCOOPS BODY KIT NEW FEET (RIMS)
Exclamation

Originally Posted by BMW Rookie' post='833559' date='Apr 1 2009, 09:46 PM
545felix - stupid question but how can I tell if my 2005 545i (built in Dec 2004) came with U.S. specs (i.e. it could have been manufactured in Germany)? Is there an identifier for the location of the country of origin in the VIN?

Thanks
Bottom line....does not matter where it was manufactured, if its on the road in the USA on a permanent basis. It has US Specs based on DOT standards. I hope this helps.
Old 04-02-2009, 02:51 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 05 545/6

Originally Posted by hoodwink33' post='833574' date='Apr 1 2009, 10:01 PM
Bottom line....does not matter where it was manufactured, if its on the road in the USA on a permanent basis. It has US Specs based on DOT standards. I hope this helps.
yes, by "us-spec" i mean built by BMW to be sold in the US. if you live in the US you got a us-spec car, unless you bought it in canada/mexico and drove it over the border.
Old 04-02-2009, 06:22 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 05 545/6

Originally Posted by BMW Rookie' post='833524' date='Apr 1 2009, 09:22 PM
545felix - I feel for you as I am in the same position. I purchased a 2005 545i (build date Dec. 2004) and I have not been able to activate the Bluetooth on the car. The dealer advised me that the car is equiped with all the hardware but needs a software update, which could take up to 2 hours to perform (@$110 per hour). The bad news is that the dealer informed me that there is no guarantee that they can get my Bluetooth activated as there have been complications with 2005 models.

If someone has corrected this problem on a 2005 I would also like to know about it.
Umm, I'm not in the same position- my car was built 10/04 and the bluetooth works like a champ. I'm not the first owner, but I saw no sign of a software update in the service history when I bought it. I know another 12/04 545 that had it from day 1 as well. sounds like your dealer is feeding you some BS.
Old 04-02-2009, 05:56 PM
Members

Well, I found the menu selection for Bluetooth and saw that there had been a Motorola phone apparently installed. My blackberry found the device, but when I went into the phone menu, I was prompted for an unlock code....which I assume is the code for the Motorola. Obviously, I don't know what that code is, so to start all over, I deleted the Motorola from the phone list.

So, I can now get to a screen that shows the bluetooth activated, but dont know how to add my phone to the list.

Incidentally, my car was manufactured 3/05, so I should have the correct software, I assume?

So, the question is how to add my Blackberry to the phone list and then activate it in the hands free mode.
Old 04-02-2009, 07:14 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i sport

Originally Posted by earossi' post='834699' date='Apr 2 2009, 08:56 PM
Well, I found the menu selection for Bluetooth and saw that there had been a Motorola phone apparently installed. My blackberry found the device, but when I went into the phone menu, I was prompted for an unlock code....which I assume is the code for the Motorola. Obviously, I don't know what that code is, so to start all over, I deleted the Motorola from the phone list.

So, I can now get to a screen that shows the bluetooth activated, but dont know how to add my phone to the list.

Incidentally, my car was manufactured 3/05, so I should have the correct software, I assume?

So, the question is how to add my Blackberry to the phone list and then activate it in the hands free mode.
You have to go into pairing mode from idrive. Once that's done, you need to add the car as an audio device on the bb. Your phone should ask for a PIN, pick an ez one, then the car should prompt for the same. Add it again, and you should be all set.
Old 04-03-2009, 12:10 PM
Members

Well, I still need help. I can find the Bluetooth menu but there does not appear to be any way to add a new phone. Can someone walk me through the process? I am beginning to develop a negative attitude towards the iDrive! What it needs is a "Search" or "help" button.
Old 04-05-2009, 02:05 PM
Members

Originally Posted by 545felix' post='833500' date='Apr 1 2009, 08:02 PM
are you sure this is a 2005 car? what's the build date on the sticker with the VIN on the driver's door jamb?

under "PHONE" there should be an option to pair a phone. if there isn't, you've got a car built before 10/04 and you need a software update to enable it. if it's older than 3/04 you need a new phone module to get bluetooth.

Build date was March 2005; so, the car is a late 2005 model car. There are also other glitches in the I-drive menu. For instance, there is a screen to vary the screen "Illumination". I can get to that function and even pull up the screen that shows it adjusted in the centered position. But, there are no menu options to allow me to change that setting for screen Illumination.

There is no opiton on the Idrive to pair the phone. When I finally get down to the screen that gives me a choice between "PHONE" ir "BMW ASSIST", there are no other menu selections when you toggle to the PHONE selection.

Perplexing.
Old 05-13-2009, 06:31 AM
nik
Members

Originally Posted by rkinra' post='832865' date='Apr 1 2009, 11:21 PM
Not sure if anyone knows the answer to this or not, but I just picked up a new 2009 535i and I'm having a problem w/ Bluetooth.

Basically, I have successfully paired my two phones (Apple Iphone running version 2.2.1 and a Samsung phone). What I use to do w/ my old BMW (2007 525i) was turn the bluetooth ON and OFF on each phone and the phone would seamlessly connect to the car. So, I could switch which phone I was using w/ the bluetooth in the car.

Now, if I disconnect the bluetooth on my Iphone (but turning off bluetooth on the Iphone) and then try to re-connect the Iphone (by turn on bluetooth on the Iphone) the car does not recognize the Iphone (unless I complete turn off the car and then start the car).

I'm not sure if this is a bug w/ the current iDrive or if my particular car has a bug? Any one else having this issue? The thing that I find odd is that this use to work perfectly in my old car (2007 525i). UGH!!!

BTW, I have talked to my dealer about this and they are clueless... They can't explain it to me. I also called BMW NA and their explanation was that the Iphone v2.2.1 is not a verified version. They want me to downgrade the software to 2.2. I highly doubt that is going to fix the problem.

Thanks to all for any suggestions.
Old 05-13-2009, 06:51 AM
nik
Members

Hi, the BMW Bluetooth system is sort of very basic. Probably slightly better than those bluetooth you have in your ears. Always have ONLY ONE phone couple to the system. The system CAN NEVER handle two phones unless both are very, very basic phone with virtually no CONTACT in its memory. A heavily loaded PDAs will also be a problem to the system. For those who can't synch your phone to the system despite of having its bluetooth ON, means the car cannot recognise the phone, BUY another phone.(borrow the phone from a few friends and give a try on the system. My HTC Diamond works beautifully, but my heavily loaded P990i couldn't and on the other hand a friend's less load P990i works fine. The mechanics seem to be making alot of money from the seemingly confusing technology on the E60. No reprgramming or software upgrading is needed, they are all BULL guys. My E60 520i bought in June 04 has no problem. Upgraded to 530i in Mid 05 also have no problem. I initially thought I have problem, but it was my phone that was not recognisable by the system.
Have a Nice day..

Quick Reply: BLUETOOTH MYSTERY