Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

Bluetooth with latest software?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2004, 01:07 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545 - Black/Black, Sport Package, Premium Sound, Cold Weather, Navigation.

Hi All,

First time posting, long time browsing.

I took delivery of my 545 about 3 weeks ago, it is an 8/04 production. I love the car.

When I bought it, the dealer told me that Bluetooth is installed in the car and will be activated when the problems are resolved via the next software update.

I called the Manhattan dealer, and they tell me that BMW warranty does not cover the BT upgrade. I called BMW NA, and they tell me that the cars were ?sold BT capable? which means that the upgrade is not free.

I have some minor issues with the car, which can be resolved with a software upgrade, I think. These issues include an ?Engine Fault? message, which tells me that it may be possible to start the car without pressing the break, as well as some other minor problems.

My question is this, if I take my car in for service, complaining about these issues, will they upgrade my software to the latest version? Will this upgrade also activate BT?

Thanks for all your help.
Old 11-15-2004, 01:18 PM
Members

I was able to get bluetooth up and running in my 04 545 and from what I can tell it was simply a software upgrade. I paid a labor charge because there was no other reason to upgrade the software.

JMK BMW was great to me but that's because I bought the car there. Their service department is packed so I'm not sure they will do this for anyone.

It seems to me that the dealer who sold you the car should try to help you out. It doesn't appear that these guys are treating you very well.
Old 11-15-2004, 01:24 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545 - Black/Black, Sport Package, Premium Sound, Cold Weather, Navigation.

Originally Posted by ZC ED545' date='Nov 15 2004, 05:18 PM
I was able to get bluetooth up and running in my 04 545 and from what I can tell it was simply a software upgrade.? I paid a labor charge because there was no other reason to upgrade the software.

JMK BMW was great to me but that's because I bought the car there.? Their service department is packed so I'm not sure they will do this for anyone.

It seems to me that the dealer who sold you the car should try to help you out.? It doesn't appear that these guys are treating you very well.
[snapback]56534[/snapback]
Thanks for a quick response.

I bought the car way out in NJ, so I have not called them yet. They will probably do this for me, but I would prefer to do this in Manhattan.
Old 11-15-2004, 01:40 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by gregi30' date='Nov 15 2004, 05:24 PM
[quote name='ZC ED545' date='Nov 15 2004, 05:18 PM']I was able to get bluetooth up and running in my 04 545 and from what I can tell it was simply a software upgrade.? I paid a labor charge because there was no other reason to upgrade the software.

JMK BMW was great to me but that's because I bought the car there.? Their service department is packed so I'm not sure they will do this for anyone.

It seems to me that the dealer who sold you the car should try to help you out.? It doesn't appear that these guys are treating you very well.

I bought the car way out in NJ, so I have not called them yet. They will probably do this for me, but I would prefer to do this in Manhattan.
[snapback]56536[/snapback]
[/quote]

Suggestion - Search this site and see if you have any of the common problems which are software defects. Here are some problems with my car that will be resolved with a WARRANTY software upgrade; hopefully when Verizon has a good Bluetooth phone and S/W V 14 is ready:

a. Steering wheel doesn't retract when you remove the key.

b. Navigation seems to leave words out, like "make the next on the left." On other BMWs with navigation systems, they've always said things like "make the next TURN on the left, take the nxxt ROAD on the right, etc.

c. The volume knob on the radio mutes it, only. Many times I turn the car on, the radio/cd comes on.. even if it was muted before.. how do I turn the radio OFF?

d. All sound goes off intermittently. Nav, chimes, entertainment, everything mutes.

Hope that helps.
Old 11-15-2004, 01:55 PM
Members

Originally Posted by wnrussell' date='Nov 15 2004, 05:40 PM
[quote name='gregi30' date='Nov 15 2004, 05:24 PM'][quote name='ZC ED545' date='Nov 15 2004, 05:18 PM']I was able to get bluetooth up and running in my 04 545 and from what I can tell it was simply a software upgrade.? I paid a labor charge because there was no other reason to upgrade the software.

[snapback]56536[/snapback]
[/quote]

Suggestion - Search this site and see if you have any of the common problems which are software defects. Here are some problems with my car that will be resolved with a WARRANTY software upgrade; hopefully when Verizon has a good Bluetooth phone and S/W V 14 is ready:

a. Steering wheel doesn't retract when you remove the key.

b. Navigation seems to leave words out, like "make the next on the left." On other BMWs with navigation systems, and they've always said things like "make the next TURN on the left.

c. The volume knob on the radio mutes it, only. Many times I turn the car on, the radio/cd comes on.. even if it was muted before.. how do I turn the radio OFF?

d. All sound goes off intermittently. Nav, chimes, entertainment, everything mutes.

Hope that helps.
[snapback]56539[/snapback]
[/quote]

Wow, thanks wnrussell.

off the top of my head, I have the first 3 problems.

BTW, I was going to trade in my 530 for a MB E500. After visiting this forum quite frequently, I changed my mind and got a 545.

Thanks again for the help.
Old 11-15-2004, 02:26 PM
Senior Members

There is one thing I noticed with the steering wheel 'retraction'. Since I am on the tall side, I had the position adjusted for the steering wheel to the top-most position. But I then realized that the wheel does not move upwards when I turn off the car. It only retracts once I lower the wheel below the full height location for driving, then it goes back to the top-most height when I turn off the car.

I don't know if you have yours adjusted that high, but you might check it and see if it is below the full upmost position for driving.
Old 11-15-2004, 05:34 PM
Members

Even after my upgrade last week I still have the problem with the radio (and climate control) coming on every time I start the car even if I shut it off when leaving the car.

A small price to pay for such an amazing car.
Old 11-16-2004, 05:25 AM
Members

Originally Posted by gdavis' date='Nov 15 2004, 05:26 PM
There is one thing I noticed with the steering wheel 'retraction'. Since I am on the tall side, I had the position adjusted for the steering wheel to the top-most position. But I then realized that the wheel does not move upwards when I turn off the car. It only retracts once I lower the wheel below the full height location for driving, then it goes back to the top-most height when I turn off the car.

I don't know if you have yours adjusted that high, but you might check it and see if it is below the full upmost position for driving.
[snapback]56562[/snapback]
Same here. So I lowered the wheel just a tad so I could enjoy the cool feature.

And, yes, I know that's sad.

Peace.
Old 11-16-2004, 01:06 PM
Senior Members

welcome aboard, gregi30 ! if you want a free s/w upgrade, one thing is quite simple. just tell them your idrive crash once in a while . this is something you can't duplicate in front of them but it's a very common problem <_<. hope this helps .
Old 11-16-2004, 01:24 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by alohalc' date='Nov 16 2004, 05:06 PM
welcome aboard, gregi30 !? if you want a free s/w upgrade, one thing is quite simple.? just tell them your idrive crash once in a while .? this is something you can't duplicate in front of them but it's a very common problem <_<.? hope this helps .
[snapback]56934[/snapback]
How does it "crash", the symptoms I mean. Does the knob lock up, screen black out or freeze, etc?

Quick Reply: Bluetooth with latest software?