Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

Bluetooth cradle and wiring incompatability

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 08:32 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello,

I have a 2004 545i built in 12/03. The TCU has been replaced with a MY05 TCU. I have a Moto E815 bluetooth phone that pairs and works fine.
Per a BMW SIB, since I had the TCU replaced, bluetooth cradles can not be used in my car due to wiring incompatibilities. It would seem, that since the only necessary(desireable) features required from the cradle for bluetooth operation are charging and the external antenna, that the incompatibilities could be eliminated by removing the unnecessary(incompatible) wires and swapping the necessary wires to correct pins in the TCU to eject box connector. Since the E815 phone has a separate connector for the external antenna and the 84210393570 snap in adapter and eject box have separate connectors and cable, the external antenna might be a non-issue? As far as charging, the E815 requires 3 inputs, a 6V input (probably stepped down from 12V in the adapter?), a GND input and a resistor to GND input (also probably connected in the adapter?). Since the Moto V60 (same as BMW CPT9000) requires the same charging inputs as the E815, those same inputs should be available in the TCU to eject box cable already. I can buy the components and get out out my DVM and poke around, but I would like to have documentation to verify my findings. Has anyone already tried this? Does anyone have schematics and or wiretabs of an eject box, a snap in adapter and the MY05 TCU. Anyone have specifics on the wiring incompatabilities?

Thanks, Bill
Old 01-31-2007, 09:40 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '04 530i, Sport, 6 spd., Alpine white, beige leather, cold weather, xenon

Sounds like we are considering similar things. I have a 2/04 build 530 and still have the original TCU. I recently had the CTP9000 "retro-fit" done and am using that, but am probably going to get a BTUM and give Bluetooth a try. Since that needs to be in the CPT9000 cradle, I couldn't use a newer version cradle anyway, as you can. But what I'd like to be able to do is tie into the outside antenna (the charging part isn't an issue/benefit for me, but marginal reception in the "sticks" is). So, what I've looked at doing is simply fishing the antenna wire out of the console (it's a separate wire from the other bundle, with a separate connector). And, I've talked to my local cell phone/antenna experts about making an adapter to go from the BMW connection (or the line itself) to a standard plug-it-into-the-back-of-the-phone antenna adapter. I'd probably just run that/leave it in the bottom of the two compartments in the console and then when I wanted to use it I'd just put the phone in there.
I'll watch this thread, however, and would be interested to see what else you find on wiring!!
Tim
Old 02-25-2007, 12:56 PM
Members

I have the same issue. I have an QTEK 9100 and the Bluetooth option installed on my 525D-Touring. Since there is no (as far as I know)
cradle for the Qtek I thought about making a solution myself. I would like to know the wiring / pinout on the contact in the car. In worst case I quess I would use a volt meter so see which ones are the right power leads. It would also be beneficial to be able to buy the antenna contact (male) to fit into the female antenna contakt on the BMW. Anyone know the spec / type used on the BMW ?

Originally Posted by CarlK920' post='386176' date='Feb 1 2007, 07:40 AM
Sounds like we are considering similar things. I have a 2/04 build 530 and still have the original TCU. I recently had the CTP9000 "retro-fit" done and am using that, but am probably going to get a BTUM and give Bluetooth a try. Since that needs to be in the CPT9000 cradle, I couldn't use a newer version cradle anyway, as you can. But what I'd like to be able to do is tie into the outside antenna (the charging part isn't an issue/benefit for me, but marginal reception in the "sticks" is). So, what I've looked at doing is simply fishing the antenna wire out of the console (it's a separate wire from the other bundle, with a separate connector). And, I've talked to my local cell phone/antenna experts about making an adapter to go from the BMW connection (or the line itself) to a standard plug-it-into-the-back-of-the-phone antenna adapter. I'd probably just run that/leave it in the bottom of the two compartments in the console and then when I wanted to use it I'd just put the phone in there.
I'll watch this thread, however, and would be interested to see what else you find on wiring!!
Tim
Old 02-25-2007, 02:19 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Not sure if this will help but here's a link to a thread with a ton of documentation on the cradle, TCU, etc.

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=2709
Old 02-25-2007, 05:24 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='395541' date='Feb 25 2007, 07:19 PM
Not sure if this will help but here's a link to a thread with a ton of documentation on the cradle, TCU, etc.

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=2709
You just need a different eject box than your dealer is telling you. I would suggest talking with people who know what they are talking about as opposed to the dealer.