Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

Bluetooth Conflict w/ new iDrive software

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2008 | 07:52 AM
Members

My Ride: 07 550 Blk/Blk Sport, HUD, Night Vis, Actv Str, Logic 7 w/ HD & Sat, iPOD, Cold Wthr, Comfrt access, shades, 20x vented seats, rear heat splt fold, K40 Radar 03 525 Kalahari Beige / Tan, Sport, little Dinan stuff

In the 16 weeks I have had my CPO 2007 550, I have been plagued with and psoted many iDrive / computer issues. Dealer finally replaced CCC which , as I understand it, is the hardware. It was replace with a newer (maybe NOT newest i.e. 2008) version of hardware plus loaded on the latest software.

Up until now, I had no problem using my Bluetooth phone and Bluetooth enabled Radar detector (plus I know the previous owner and no problem there). I cannot tell you what part of this detector is Bluetooth, I was just told it is, most probably the remote. Now, if the dectecor is on, pairing the phone is not an option, even forced and if I pair the phone first, the radar detector will not operate.

Anyone else have conflict issues? I wonder why now with the new CCC ?

Thanks
Old 10-05-2008 | 10:01 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by deviandia' post='685699' date='Oct 5 2008, 11:52 AM
In the 16 weeks I have had my CPO 2007 550, I have been plagued with and psoted many iDrive / computer issues. Dealer finally replaced CCC which , as I understand it, is the hardware. It was replace with a newer (maybe NOT newest i.e. 2008) version of hardware plus loaded on the latest software.

Up until now, I had no problem using my Bluetooth phone and Bluetooth enabled Radar detector (plus I know the previous owner and no problem there). I cannot tell you what part of this detector is Bluetooth, I was just told it is, most probably the remote. Now, if the dectecor is on, pairing the phone is not an option, even forced and if I pair the phone first, the radar detector will not operate.

Anyone else have conflict issues? I wonder why now with the new CCC ?

Thanks
Check to be certain that your cell phone isn't pairing - or trying to pair - with your radar detector. BT will not permit two devices to pair simultaneously. To troubleshoot turn the radar detector off and then go through the pairing process with your phone and car. Look for paired devices available on your phone and remove any device EXCEPT your car.
Old 10-05-2008 | 01:06 PM
Members

My Ride: 07 550 Blk/Blk Sport, HUD, Night Vis, Actv Str, Logic 7 w/ HD & Sat, iPOD, Cold Wthr, Comfrt access, shades, 20x vented seats, rear heat splt fold, K40 Radar 03 525 Kalahari Beige / Tan, Sport, little Dinan stuff

Originally Posted by luigi524td' post='685745' date='Oct 5 2008, 01:01 PM
Check to be certain that your cell phone isn't pairing - or trying to pair - with your radar detector. BT will not permit two devices to pair simultaneously. To troubleshoot turn the radar detector off and then go through the pairing process with your phone and car. Look for paired devices available on your phone and remove any device EXCEPT your car.
Yup, I know exactly what you're speaking of and it is not. The message I get is something on the order of "this operation is unable to function" or some version of that. Now that I have the new hardware and software, it just will not allow my phone and radar in the same car but before, it was a non-issue. Wierd
Old 10-05-2008 | 02:16 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by deviandia' post='685830' date='Oct 5 2008, 05:06 PM
Yup, I know exactly what you're speaking of and it is not. The message I get is something on the order of "this operation is unable to function" or some version of that. Now that I have the new hardware and software, it just will not allow my phone and radar in the same car but before, it was a non-issue. Wierd

Yup ... that is weird. BT can be tricky but it's frustrating when s/w or firmware updates REDUCE functionality. Sort of like expecting government intervention to fix things in the financial sector!
Old 10-05-2008 | 05:43 PM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Long known issue:

For instance: you cannot have TWO paired phones connected at same time. See SIB from 2006.

SI B 84 18 06
Communication Systems June 2006
Technical Service

SUBJECT
"Low Bluetooth Signal" is Displayed in the Handset or the Bluetooth? Connection is Lost

MODEL
E46 (3 Series) from 9/04 production (325i/iA from 10/04 production) with Premium Package (ZPP) or BMW Assist? (SA 639)

E53 (X5) from 10/04 production with Premium Package (ZPP) or BMW Assist? (SA 639)

E60, E61 (5 Series) from 9/04 production

E63, E64 (6 Series) from 9/04 production

E65, E66 (7 Series) from 3/05 production

E83 (X3) from 9/04 production with Premium Package (ZPP) or BMW Assist? (SA 639)

E85 (Z4) from 10/04 production with Premium Package (ZPP) or BMW Assist? (SA 639)

E90, E91 (3 Series) with Premium Package (ZPP) or BMW Assist? (SA639)

SITUATION
The customer may complain about the following issues when their compatible Bluetooth enabled handset is paired to the vehicle.

* Bluetooth connection is lost.

* "Low Bluetooth Signal" is displayed on the handset.

* "Low Bluetooth Signal, Use Handset?" is displayed on the handset.

CAUSE
Another Bluetooth enabled device is installed in the vehicle or is within close proximity to the vehicle. E.g. Calibre K40 (Bluetooth enabled) radar detector.

PROCEDURE
Inform the customer that the secondary Bluetooth device needs to be removed from the vehicle for the Telematics Control Unit (TCU) and their handset to communicate correctly.

WARRANTY
Information only
Old 10-07-2008 | 09:34 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

I routinely have multiple bluetooth radios pairing in my car at once.

My Mot Q pairs thusly...

Mot-S705 (A2DP/AVRCP)
|
|
|
Q--------------Tether/serial-modem----------TomTomGPS
|
|
|
E60 (handsfree+PBA)

That's no fewer than 4 radios in the car, and the phone is pairing with 3 different devices at once. All -different- profiles mind you. What -isn't- permitted is to have something pair to more than one device over the same service.

I would suggest contacting the radar detector company to see if there is a way to have the detector only pair for the service profile that it alone can provide. If it's trying to do one that the car is doing (like handsfree), then there will be a conflict.

A perfect example to help illustrate is that my Motorola S705 device can be setup to pair only as a Stereo Bluetooth device, -or- it can be set to pair as handsfree/headset along with the stereo audio. If I were to configure it to pair as both, there would be a conflict between the E60's handsfree/headset and the S705's handsfree/headset. The first one paired to the phone would prevent the other one from pairing. Depending on the way the BT stack on the devices worked, a full capabilities negotiation check might be required for -any- services to pair. In other words, let's say 3 services are set to pair between BT devices. If for example one service were to fail, it might prevent the other 2 profiles from negotiating and communicating.
Old 11-11-2008 | 05:39 PM
Members

My Ride: black 2004 e60----comfort package, light package, tinted windows, custom coded features

There should be a way to configure the radar detector so that BT is not active. You can do this in your phone and in the car as well. My guess is that the radar detector is trying to use the same "Handsfree" profile that your phone is using with the car. You might want to try and see if you can pair the radar detector with the phone first, then procede to pair the car with the phone. Sort of use the phone as the central device.