Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

Bluetooth Calls cannot hear me (UK)

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2006, 10:04 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: -Current- 535d Sport LCI Bi-Xenon Adaptive Lights, S.A.T, Professional SatNav, Logic7, Elec Memory seats, iPod interface, 19" Alloys WITHOUT RUNFLATS! CIC and Combox Retrofit, White Angel Eyes, Speed in Centre console. -Previous- Mini Cooper S 525d Tourer Auto

Hi all,

I have been looking over the internet for a while and cannot find an answer or helpful solution.

I have a (UK) 55 plate E61 with the bluetooth kit installed and a QTEK 9100 (by HTC, also known as an i-Mate i believe). The BT, phonebook, calls etc work perfectly BUT the person i am calling (or called me) can bearly hear me - it apparently sounds like i am in the boot! I have the latest update on the phone and have checked all settings.

I am going to get a Nokia phone and sim just for the car but do not want to go this route if possible.

I have read that others have this phone working on their 5 series without any problems so i assume that an update to the cars computer will fix it.

Now...
does anybody have this phone working and what year is the car?
Will an upgrade cure the problem?
What does the upgrade cost?
Can i get it upgraded for free?

The free upgrade would be good as i have read on other forums of blagging an upgrade based on a problem known to be fixable by an upgrade - elec windows not shutting properly, rough gear changes etc
Does anyone have a comment or suggestion for this?

Many thanks for all help given, i really could do with this fixed!

Cheers
Darron
Old 09-04-2006, 04:15 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: -Current- 535d Sport LCI Bi-Xenon Adaptive Lights, S.A.T, Professional SatNav, Logic7, Elec Memory seats, iPod interface, 19" Alloys WITHOUT RUNFLATS! CIC and Combox Retrofit, White Angel Eyes, Speed in Centre console. -Previous- Mini Cooper S 525d Tourer Auto

Well so far there has been no response so i thought i would give an update.

I have also tried my wife's Samsung BlueTooth phone and the same thing happens with that one.

I have just purched a phone cradle for a nokia phone with the intention of haveing a dedicated car phone and will divert calls when necessary.

The car is going into a dealer soon as the A/C is no longer working and i am going to try to blag an upgrade to the cars software - i'll keep posting even if no-one is listening!!!

D
Old 09-06-2006, 01:58 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i (SE), Auto-Dim Int + Folding Ext. Mirrors, Automatic Gearbox, Bluetooth Telephone Preparation, BMW 6 Disc CD Changer, Heated Front Seats, HiFi Speaker System, Leather interior, Navigation System - Business, Sports Suspension, Star Spoke 123 8Jx18" + Run Flat Tyres. M-Tech Kit.

The amount of times this has come up has probably discouraged any replies!, it's a very common problem.

Some people have reported this fixed or improved after having had their car's CIP software updated, some have had the mic changed (more likely on older cars like mine perhaps). I don't have that phone but I've had both done on my car for various Motorola's and have also always used a cradle, but still people say that it sounds 'a bit quiet'.

I've just resigned myself to it now and make important calls from stationary, which is better.... I think perhaps it's more a 'conversational' rather than 'professional' car kit?
Old 09-06-2006, 02:20 AM
Senior Members

I have no tried my fathers nokia in the car kit and it seems better but not great - it was by no means a full test, just that we were driving and just popped it in to see.

My new Nokia should arrive today and i will test it fully then. If this is fine then i shall stick with it, but if not then i have great leverage for replacement / upgrades as the phone is on the approved list.

I do hope that i do not have the same quiet calls issue you have as i rely on my phone quite a bit and am used to a supurb system in my previous car.

I agree with your comment that it is a common problem, and find it more difficult to find a suitable solution as many people have also said it is fine in other posts - hopefully then it is a CIP upgrade...
Old 09-06-2006, 03:44 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i (SE), Auto-Dim Int + Folding Ext. Mirrors, Automatic Gearbox, Bluetooth Telephone Preparation, BMW 6 Disc CD Changer, Heated Front Seats, HiFi Speaker System, Leather interior, Navigation System - Business, Sports Suspension, Star Spoke 123 8Jx18" + Run Flat Tyres. M-Tech Kit.

Well hopefully you can get it improved at least then, as you know a free upgrade should be possible via the blagging route - against one of the symptoms mentioned or anything similiar. The 'Service Bulletins' sticky thread in the Dealer Servicing Forum can help you identify the latest known issues against recommended upgrades if you struggle...
Old 09-06-2006, 05:08 AM
Senior Members

Thanks for the tip re the other forum - that may prove useful if i have problems!

I will post the outcome once the phone has arrived, if i manage to get an upgrade to the CIP and if anything else becomes relevant.

Thanks for your help.
Old 09-07-2006, 03:17 AM
Senior Members

***UPDATE***

I finally recieved the new Nokia phone and have tested it.

I tried it stationary, at 40mph, 60mpg facing the mic and facing the windows and every time the my voice was extreamly quiet. The only difference between it and my QTEC is that the QTEC sounds more digitised.

Now the weired thing is this - if i cover the microphone with my hand (to make sure it is connected to the correct hole) the sound actually improved! Ok it sounded more muffled but it was louder - how does that work?

Ok its not quite the hands free i was after (more of a hand free car kit) but we are moving forward.

My car is booked into the Garage next wed and i will post the outcome regarding a CIP update.
Old 09-07-2006, 07:54 AM
Members

Darron, I have have a similar problem with my new 535D and SE K750i. Pairing all works fine and I see the phone's addressbook on the iDrive screen, but when I make a call, or receive it, I can't hear the far end and they can't hear me. I have now noticed that when the call connects, the car transfers the call back to the phone. The reason neither end can hear the other is because the phone is in its cradle under the closed armrest, so is being muffled. If I then take the phone out of the cradle I can continue the call via the phone - which is still, though, connected via the car's antenna in some way despite the "transfer to phone". The call length counter still counts up and if I press the telephone button on the steering wheel the call disconnects.

Fairly certainly a BMW software problem, and my BMW service centre agreed. The car is booked in to check the problem out.
Old 09-07-2006, 08:10 AM
Senior Members

Please do post the outcome of the sw update. how old is your car?
Old 09-08-2006, 01:11 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Darron.Lowe' post='331893' date='Sep 7 2006, 05:10 PM
Please do post the outcome of the sw update. how old is your car?
That's the worrying bit - the car was new on 1st Sept this year. Anyway, the BMW guys said it looked like it was down to them, so I'll post again when they have had a look at the problem.

Quick Reply: Bluetooth Calls cannot hear me (UK)