Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

Bluetooth - the "big" picture???

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2005, 07:23 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2002 M3 Convertible SMG Silver/Black 2005 545i ED Jet Black/Beige

Can some knowledgeable person please explain the Bluetooth situation to a non-techie like me?

I am picking up a 545 ED in April, it is a March build. The car has NAV and Sirius. I have the Blackberry 7100 with service through t-mobile.

- 545s are equipped with Bluetooth as standard equipment, correct?
- It appears from reading this board that Blackberries do not work with BMW Bluetooth; is this true?
- If true, is it just a matter of time before a software update can fix this? If so, does anybody know if this is in process, and if there is an ETA on a solution?
- Is the problem with BMW or RIM (Blackberry), or both? Are they aware of the problem?
- Is there partial functionality? What I mean by this, is that if I could dial on my phone, and talk through the car, that would be of some value to me, even without full name and phone number syncing.

Thank you for the help.
Old 01-13-2005, 07:41 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

545s are equipped with Bluetooth as standard equipment, correct?
MY05 yes. Yours will be

It appears from reading this board that Blackberries do not work with BMW Bluetooth; is this true?
- If true, is it just a matter of time before a software update can fix this? If so, does anybody know if this is in process, and if there is an ETA on a solution?
- Is the problem with BMW or RIM (Blackberry), or both? Are they aware of the problem?
- Is there partial functionality? What I mean by this, is that if I could dial on my phone, and talk through the car, that would be of some value to me, even without full name and phone number syncing.

I have no actual experience with the blackberry. However, my guess is that future software updates from BMW will fix bugs like the 4 ring limit, call waiting and improve sound quality.

BMWs Bluetooth ULF is designed to work with the BT protocol and all its sub components like OBEX. Many phones, PDAs and other devices sold through or manufactured for the Telco have certain features locked or restricted. This causes some phones to work, some to pair but not dial out, some to work but without the address book transferring etc.

That said, I believe the issue is with the Blackberry device and its firmware. I have read many posts here that speak of phones that work after a firmware flash. Check this out to get a bigger picture.
Old 01-14-2005, 06:45 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

Blackberry 7100 will NOT work with BMW Bluetooth.

I know because I had a 7100 with T-Mobile for a week.... but returned the phone because it would not operate with my 545.

You have to get a cell phone with Bluetooth.... not a Handheld / PDA device.

ie (Blackberry will not work.... iPaq will not work.... Pocket PC will not work)

Nokia, Motorola, Sony phones work.
Old 01-14-2005, 09:57 AM
Members

My Ride: F11 520d Imperialblue - HK Sound - Panorama Roof - High Executive

Originally Posted by subterFUSE' date='Jan 14 2005, 09:45 AM
Blackberry 7100 will NOT work with BMW Bluetooth.

I know because I had a 7100 with T-Mobile for a week....? but returned the phone because it would not operate with my 545.

You have to get a cell phone with Bluetooth....? ? not a Handheld / PDA device.

ie? (Blackberry will not work....? iPaq will not work....? Pocket PC will not work)

Nokia, Motorola, Sony phones work.
[snapback]79087[/snapback]
I had the 7100v for two weeks and it worked with my BMW Bluetooth module. Very restricted functionality. The car functions as a very basic headset. So after dialling from the phone, the car picks up the call. Even so after accepting the call on the phone, the car will take over the call over your speakers. Pairing with entering the car worked well.

It's a problem in the phone, it must have several bluetooth profiles to function correctly with the BMW system.