Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

Bluetooth availability for pre 3/04 production

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2005, 10:25 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Per a very helpful rep as BMWUSA, the cut off for Bluetooth availability (software only) is March 2004 production cars foward. He did indicate that BMW is still working on a retrofit and that remains a possibility. As my car is 2/27/04, we discussed whether the real issue is the manufacture date of the TCU vs. when the TCU ws put into the car. He had no answer but appropriately suggested having the dealer try to pair a phone to the car. He also confirmed that software version 13.2 is needed. I know this merely summarizes many messages posted earlier, but thought having it in one place may help. If anyone has different/more info, please advise.
Old 01-04-2005, 10:33 AM
Members

My Ride: MY 2004 545i; April build; 6 speed; silver grey metalic; black leather; poplar; sport package; cold weather; active steering; xenons .

Thanks for the clear and helpful update.
Old 01-04-2005, 10:57 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by dstompkins' date='Jan 4 2005, 12:25 PM
Per a very helpful rep as BMWUSA, the cut off for Bluetooth availability (software only) is March 2004 production cars foward.? He did indicate that BMW is still working on a retrofit and that remains a possibility.? As my car is 2/27/04, we discussed whether the real issue is the manufacture date of the TCU vs. when the TCU ws put into the car.? He had no answer but appropriately suggested having the dealer try to pair a phone to the car.? He also confirmed that software version 13.2 is needed.? I know this merely summarizes many messages posted earlier, but thought having it in one place may help. If anyone has different/more info, please advise.
[snapback]75519[/snapback]
I see you already have the CPT9000 phone. If Bluetooth comes available to pre March 2004 E-60's, would you update?
Old 01-05-2005, 11:07 AM
Members

Originally Posted by jtp1947' date='Jan 4 2005, 01:57 PM
[quote name='dstompkins' date='Jan 4 2005, 12:25 PM']Per a very helpful rep as BMWUSA, the cut off for Bluetooth availability (software only) is March 2004 production cars foward.? He did indicate that BMW is still working on a retrofit and that remains a possibility.? As my car is 2/27/04, we discussed whether the real issue is the manufacture date of the TCU vs. when the TCU ws put into the car.? He had no answer but appropriately suggested having the dealer try to pair a phone to the car.? He also confirmed that software version 13.2 is needed.? I know this merely summarizes many messages posted earlier, but thought having it in one place may help. If anyone has different/more info, please advise.
[snapback]75519[/snapback]
I see you already have the CPT9000 phone. If Bluetooth comes available to pre March 2004 E-60's, would you update?
[snapback]75543[/snapback]
[/quote]
Yes...I find the CPT9000 to be very bad...bad battery life,bad reception..and after using a bluetooth headset on my wife's phone, I find it very difficult to go back to actually holding the phone to my ear when using it out of the car.
Old 01-05-2005, 11:18 AM
Members

My car was built on the same date - Feb 27, 2004. BMWNA told me the same story. They're still working on a retrofit kit. It might be available by the end of month. I know a few people (pre March 04) got bluetooth working by upgrading the TCU for about $2000.

My dealer is willing to sell me the TCU for about $1300, so the total cost is about $1500 with labor. I'm going to wait for the official retrofit kit.
Old 01-05-2005, 11:30 AM
Senior Members

is bluetooth standard now in the us
Old 01-05-2005, 12:00 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Numero Uno in Richmond Va 04 530 6 speed, jet black, black dakota leather, xenons, red rear reflectors, 545 front grill, cold weather package, premium package, staggered 19 inch BBS rxII/michelins, H&R coilovers and intergrated, R1 concept drilled an
Model Year: 2004
Engine: 530i

2000 dollars, wow come on guys why dont they just take our old worthless tcu back and under warrenty and for the cost of say a reprogram and the cableing required if any do the thing as a good faith thing we were the guine pigs so to speak of a early launch vehicle that was obviously not compleatly ready for the mass market and should be given some slack. Hell for us with the first production modles we still have to pay to get the nav retro fit and the sirrus retro fit along with all the other pre- and post launch problems, Bmw NA give us first loyalist a break.
Old 01-05-2005, 05:01 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i 6speed

Originally Posted by buddy' date='Jan 5 2005, 03:00 PM
2000 dollars, wow come on guys why dont they just take our old worthless tcu back and under warrenty and for the cost of say a reprogram and the cableing required if any do the thing as a good faith thing we were the guine pigs so to speak of a early launch vehicle that was obviously not compleatly ready for the mass market and should be given some slack.? Hell for us with the first production modles we still have to pay to get the nav retro fit and the sirrus retro fit along with all the other pre- and post launch problems,? Bmw NA give us first loyalist a break.
[snapback]75980[/snapback]
BINGO !!! Give this man a cigar ...

You are absolutely, positively, right on target...

Just look at the profusion of Bluetooth posts over the course of the past year. This is a VERY important feature for many reasons - personal and business.

This will remain an indellible stain upon BMW should they not provide Bluetooth functionality for its customers who purchased the 2004 E60 during its first half year of production. I am not so sure BMW is giving this issue the attention it deserves, as I am convinced they could have found a solution by now. This is not only SHAMEFUL, it is in many ways irresponsible. I hope BMW will do the right thing ...
Old 01-05-2005, 05:32 PM
Members

Anyone know why the TCU is so pricey? Can it be sourced directly from the OEM or distributor?
Old 01-05-2005, 05:41 PM
Senior Members

I think the problem is called mark-up

Quick Reply: Bluetooth availability for pre 3/04 production