Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

Blue Tooth Retrofit on my 12/03 built 545

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 06:54 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got my car back from the dealership and my wallet is $1200 lighter. The good news is that I love using the phone in the car. It sounds great and the caller can hear me clearly. I started programming the voice commands and asked the computer read me the phone book and it read me about 15 entries that were not mine. Is it possible I did not get a new telemetrics unit. I was charged almost $500 for it ?
Old 03-08-2007, 05:28 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 F10 535i, Graphite on Oyster, ///Msport, Executive Package, XDrive

Originally Posted by montereytony' post='399997' date='Mar 7 2007, 08:54 PM
I got my car back from the dealership and my wallet is $1200 lighter. The good news is that I love using the phone in the car. It sounds great and the caller can hear me clearly. I started programming the voice commands and asked the computer read me the phone book and it read me about 15 entries that were not mine. Is it possible I did not get a new telemetrics unit. I was charged almost $500 for it ?

TCU's used to be in the $1500 to $2000 range. The fact that you got yours for $500 is surprising.

Normally the phone books syncs to your car at start up so reading entries from another phone book is very unusual.

Look in the BT menu and see if any other phones are currently paired to your vehicle. If there are, delete them if you do not own them.
Old 03-08-2007, 05:53 AM
Members

Thanks ademitt, no other phone show up. I have been strictly using voice commands in the car and it works well. The parts manager said he sold me the part at cost, but could not help with programming labor. I am not so much worried about the price I payed, I think it is well worth it. I am worried that I do not have the latest and greatest. So maybe my question should be is there a way to find out if I have the letet tcu installed or an old used one?
Old 03-08-2007, 08:40 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 F10 535i, Graphite on Oyster, ///Msport, Executive Package, XDrive

There may be a newer part number but it may not be of benefit to you. As long as BT works in the car, you should be good to go and you saved a bunch of $$$. IIRC, the TCU just handles telephone and BMW Assist.

I am still puzzled as to how you are getting info from another phone book though. I always thought that the phone book was uploaded to the vehicle at the time of pairing. When you scroll through the phone book in idrive, do you only see your phone entries?
Old 03-08-2007, 11:26 AM
Members

Let me clear up the confusion I caused. The phone book I was referring to is the "voice" phone book not the alphabetical one that is in my phone. For example, I press the voice button on my steering wheel and say read phonebook. Most of the entries that are read back are not mine. This is independent of the phone that is connected via bluetooth.
Old 03-08-2007, 02:45 PM
Contributors

That stumps me as I though the phone book that the voice activation uses is the phone book uploaded to the car by the phone.
Old 03-08-2007, 05:03 PM
Members

My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2006

The cell phone phonebook is uploaded to the car at the time of pairing. This phone book is not voice controlled. However, there is the ability to create a phonebook stored in the car's memory by voice dictating entries. I.e you can press the voice button, then say "save name". Then the car asks you to spell the name and then the number. The phonebook created this way is stored in car's memory and is voice "controlled" regardless if you pair your cellphone with the car or not.
Old 03-11-2007, 08:22 AM
Members

Originally Posted by whentmets' post='400473' date='Mar 8 2007, 07:03 PM
The cell phone phonebook is uploaded to the car at the time of pairing. This phone book is not voice controlled. However, there is the ability to create a phonebook stored in the car's memory by voice dictating entries. I.e you can press the voice button, then say "save name". Then the car asks you to spell the name and then the number. The phonebook created this way is stored in car's memory and is voice "controlled" regardless if you pair your cellphone with the car or not.
Yes! That is the issue, someone else's voice and numbers are in there! That is why I am wondering if it was a used TSU.