Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

Blackberry Pearl 8100 pairing problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2006, 09:27 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Folks, I don't know what some of you guys are doing right, but I'm having trouble pairing my new Pearl 8100 with my 2007 BMW 550i. I love both, so I really want to figure this one out.

I've got over 1000+ numbers stored on the Blackberry 8100 Pearl, T-Mobile edition. When I pair the device, it connects. Then after about ten seconds, it disconnects. I can get it to automatically reconnect, but it still disconnects after about 10 seconds. Very annoying!

I had a similar problem with my old phone, a Treo 650 from Verizon Wireless. At first, I had trouble pairing with the beamer. I had to remove extra digits after pauses in the speed dial numbers. Once I removed those extra digits, the problem went away.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
Old 10-03-2006, 09:48 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Not sure what to tell you at this point. If the Pearl transfers all those numbers, maybe there's an issue with how many numbers can be transferred?

One more thing, did you see the following thread?:
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=31493
Old 10-03-2006, 09:56 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='341498' date='Oct 3 2006, 10:48 PM
Not sure what to tell you at this point. If the Pearl transfers all those numbers, maybe there's an issue with how many numbers can be transferred?

One more thing, did you see the following thread?:
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=31493
Actually, I did read that thread, and that was what I was referring to when I said that I don't know what some of you guys are doing right! I cannot even get the first contact to be transferred from my address book! After about 10 seconds of connectivitity, it drops me like beauty queen come spring time.
Old 10-04-2006, 05:31 AM
Super Moderator

Are you able to back-up the Pearl's contacts to a PC then delete them from the phone to see if it stays connected with an empty address book?
Old 10-04-2006, 11:50 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='341560' date='Oct 4 2006, 06:31 AM
Are you able to back-up the Pearl's contacts to a PC then delete them from the phone to see if it stays connected with an empty address book?
Excellent idea Rudy. The phone did not disconnect, and I was able to use my bluetooth Pearl. I tried manually adding another number to my address book, and it worked fine. Then I added non-numerical entries. Although it did not dial those numbers, the phone worked fine for the real numbers.

So, it looks like the components are working fine. My question would be, now, how do I get my regular numbers back into the phone without the bluetooth failing? Perhaps the bmw simply cannot handle 1000+ numbers.
Old 10-04-2006, 06:36 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by beamerlover' post='341667' date='Oct 4 2006, 03:50 PM
Excellent idea Rudy. The phone did not disconnect, and I was able to use my bluetooth Pearl. I tried manually adding another number to my address book, and it worked fine. Then I added non-numerical entries. Although it did not dial those numbers, the phone worked fine for the real numbers.

So, it looks like the components are working fine. My question would be, now, how do I get my regular numbers back into the phone without the bluetooth failing? Perhaps the bmw simply cannot handle 1000+ numbers.
I don't use a Blackberry so I'm not familiar with the PC interface to be able to give you advice on loading some of the numbers, etc. It's very possible that the car has a memory limit beyond whatever it is that the Pearl is trying to send it. I think you may be the first to hit the limit but something tells me you won't be the last...
Old 10-04-2006, 06:58 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='341789' date='Oct 4 2006, 07:36 PM
I don't use a Blackberry so I'm not familiar with the PC interface to be able to give you advice on loading some of the numbers, etc. It's very possible that the car has a memory limit beyond whatever it is that the Pearl is trying to send it. I think you may be the first to hit the limit but something tells me you won't be the last...
Rudy, thanks for your guidance. I made a separate outlook contact list and included only the essential 100 contacts or so. Now, it works fine. I don't know if it was just too many phone numbers or a bad field. But, thank you for all of your help folks.
Old 10-05-2006, 10:24 AM
Senior Members

I've just linked my Pearl . . . about 200 contacts . . . connects and downloads addresses without a problem (and I do have nav). It's pretty impressive, too. Picks up work, home and mobile numbers, but knows not to download fax numbers. Very cool.

btw, this is a great device. Probably the best executed PDA/mobile on the market.
Old 10-20-2006, 06:39 AM
Members

I'm not sure if this applies to the rest of your phone/idrive combinations.
In my case, after installing the Hong Kong OS on my 7100, i was able to upload my contacts, but limited to 500 actual numbers. I had to archive all the fax numbers and unessential contacts to reduce my list of 2000 plus.
i'm also considering upgrading to the pearl, but not sure if it works with their enterprise server solution.
hope this helps.
Old 10-20-2006, 07:31 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Hardware' post='347029' date='Oct 20 2006, 10:39 AM
I'm not sure if this applies to the rest of your phone/idrive combinations.
In my case, after installing the Hong Kong OS on my 7100, i was able to upload my contacts, but limited to 500 actual numbers. I had to archive all the fax numbers and unessential contacts to reduce my list of 2000 plus.
i'm also considering upgrading to the pearl, but not sure if it works with their enterprise server solution.
hope this helps.
I'm pretty sure that the Pearl works with a BES, etc. just like the other models. No question that it supports IT policies:
http://www.blackberry.com/products/blackbe...nterprise.shtml

Quick Reply: Blackberry Pearl 8100 pairing problems