Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

Blackberry 7100T......

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2005, 10:15 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2002 330CIC with Sports and Premium (Sold 4/2005) 2005 545I Black Saphire Metalic, with Black Dakota Leather, Poplar trim. Sport Package, MTech Body kit and Spoiler, HUD, Comfort Seats, Navigation, Premium sound, CWP, Heated Rear Seats, Window shades. Valentine 1 hardwired, Aux input.

I was talking with a friend/customer of mine the other day, and mentioned to him that my blackberry was not fully functional, and he explained why.

Blackberry's biggest customer by far is the US Government. The standards necessarry for the device to be compatible, require certain encription, and security. They cannot have their data zipping around space via bluetooth or any other wireless media. Blackberry will never work with bluetooth in the capacity that we want it to. They would lose their biggest customer.

I thought this was a very good explanation. Anyone hear different?
Old 07-16-2005, 12:04 PM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

At first blush it sounds plausible, but just about every US company's largest customer by far is the US government, so why wouldn't that logic apply to all BT phones from Cingular, Verizon, etc.? Many companies that do business with the US government have gov't specific products where security is an issue--why wouldn't RIM sell the gov't a crippled BT version, with a full function commercial version also available?
Old 07-16-2005, 05:08 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2002 330CIC with Sports and Premium (Sold 4/2005) 2005 545I Black Saphire Metalic, with Black Dakota Leather, Poplar trim. Sport Package, MTech Body kit and Spoiler, HUD, Comfort Seats, Navigation, Premium sound, CWP, Heated Rear Seats, Window shades. Valentine 1 hardwired, Aux input.

Good point, but this reason came directly from RIM. He wrote them a letter, and they responded. He is going to scan a copy for me so I can post it. Maybe they are full of crap, but this was what they said.
Old 07-19-2005, 08:37 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Originally Posted by LuvE60' date='Jul 16 2005, 08:08 PM
Good point, but this reason came directly from RIM.? He wrote them a letter, and they responded.? He is going to scan a copy for me so I can post it.? Maybe they are full of crap, but this was what they said.
[snapback]149863[/snapback]

Well, they can't hold back the standardization of the data transfer interface - that's happening in the Bluetooth SIG. Once that happens, it's just a matter of having the proper bluetooth profile support on the device. I doubt RIM will be able to leave it out of the device for too long.

RIM is already deploying special blackberries that only have WIFI chipsets in them - that's right, no cellular coverage, no BT, etc... These will most likely be deployed for environments where one needs to control portability and the ways in which access and services are delivered.