Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

Anyone here know about a Phatbox?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 05:36 AM
Administrator

Received 101 Likes on 97 Posts
My Ride: 530xi
Model Year: 2007
Engine: N52

I'm taking delivery of an '07 530xi later this week and have a question about the radio. I know it has an iPod port, but I had a 20 Gb Phatbox installed in my old '97 528i that gave the radio a "CD player" emulation so I could have 500 MP3s at my command. I removed the unit when I totaled the E39 last week.

Phatnoise went out of business a couple of years ago, but I believe there are 3rd parties that still carry adapters for the unit. My question is, does anybody have experience hooking up a Phatbox to a newer Bimmer? Short of that, I'd also like to hear any experiences you've had using your iPod connected to the stereo in your car. Is it seemless? Can you make song selections relatively easy using the iDrive control? How about the steering wheel controls? Thanks.
Old 08-31-2010, 06:21 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 530i, Jet Black, Tan, Premium, Steptronic

Your E60 uses fiber optics to transmit data to and from components (CD-changer/SAT radio/iPod) to the stereo. Also, every time you add a component to the stereo system it requires programming at the dealership. In short, there's no way to use the Phatbox with the 530xi.

There are several posts on the forum concerning the iPod adapter. It apparently works pretty well. Alternatively you can use a the Dension kit.
Old 08-31-2010, 10:01 AM
Administrator

I figured something like that. Time to move on...

Maybe I can sell it to someone on the E39 Forum.
Old 09-01-2010, 09:33 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by txag_530i
Your E60 uses fiber optics to transmit data to and from components (CD-changer/SAT radio/iPod) to the stereo. Also, every time you add a component to the stereo system it requires programming at the dealership. In short, there's no way to use the Phatbox with the 530xi.

There are several posts on the forum concerning the iPod adapter. It apparently works pretty well. Alternatively you can use a the Dension kit.
Thinking out loud, I have a USB cradle for my Phatbox cartridge. That's how I get music onto it from my computer. Since the Dension adapters permit you to read from a HDD device via USB, I wonder if there is a way that I might be able to use one of the Dension adapters to read from the Phatbox cartridge. Dension says that they can read from any hard ISA hard drive as long as it has a FAT file system, which I believe the Phatbox cartridge is.
Old 09-01-2010, 12:04 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 530i, Jet Black, Tan, Premium, Steptronic

Originally Posted by jayarras
Thinking out loud, I have a USB cradle for my Phatbox cartridge. That's how I get music onto it from my computer. Since the Dension adapters permit you to read from a HDD device via USB, I wonder if there is a way that I might be able to use one of the Dension adapters to read from the Phatbox cartridge. Dension says that they can read from any hard ISA hard drive as long as it has a FAT file system, which I believe the Phatbox cartridge is.
If you get the Dension you can use any hard drive, or an iPod, so why would you keep the Phatbox? I think that I'd sell it to someone and use the funds to get the Dension.
Old 09-01-2010, 06:51 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by txag_530i
If you get the Dension you can use any hard drive, or an iPod, so why would you keep the Phatbox? I think that I'd sell it to someone and use the funds to get the Dension.
Would I be able to select genre, artist, album, etc. like I used to through the Dension? Another nice feature the Phatbox has is spoken announcements when you make a selection or when the selection changed.