Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

another bluetooth question

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2005, 04:35 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

went to verizon to complain about their lameness in the bluetooth world saying i will switch to cingular when i get my car (when, oh god when :'( )

the salesman was trying to tell me that they can attatch some small adapter to make any cell phone bluetooth - it can work with headset and should work with car

could that be true?? i'm very skeptical
Old 04-19-2005, 04:37 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

Originally Posted by sweeet' date='Apr 19 2005, 04:35 PM
went to verizon to complain about their lameness in the bluetooth world saying i will switch to cingular when i get my car (when, oh god when? :'( )

the salesman was trying to tell me that they can attatch some small adapter to make any cell phone bluetooth - it can work with headset and should work with car

could that be true??? i'm very skeptical
[snapback]117347[/snapback]
That adapter will do you no good with your car. The only Verizon phone that will function in the E60 is the V710 (only when the software on the handset is upgraded)
Old 04-19-2005, 04:39 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 530i JETBLACK/BLACK DAKOTA, COLD WEATHER PKG, PREMIUM PKG, ADAPTIVE XENON HEADLIGHTS, AUTO TRANSMISSION WITH 6 SPEED STEPTRONIC, BLUETOOTH SETUP,SAT SETUP AND WIFE AS CO-PILOT

lol....i just came from verizon also...and they said the same thing,,,, small adapter makes any phone bt,,,, hmmm
Old 04-19-2005, 04:41 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i - 6 speed manual (July 04 build), silver-grey/black, sports package std equipment (18", active roll, active steering, adaptive headlights), premium sound, bluetooth enabled, folding rear seat, lumbar, 3m hood/bumper protective film, rear tint, euro reflectors.

Originally Posted by sweeet' date='Apr 19 2005, 04:35 PM
went to verizon to complain about their lameness in the bluetooth world saying i will switch to cingular when i get my car (when, oh god when? :'( )

They probably can, but why not just get a bluetooth phone? Verizon has bluetooth phones such as a motorola V710. Usually they give you credit toward a new phone as long as you renew your contract.
Old 04-19-2005, 04:41 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Nope those adapters wont work... they just want to make $50 off you. Either that or they have no clue... just thiking BT is BT and it should work... (*which it should*) but doesnt... so ya... new phone it is.
Old 04-19-2005, 04:43 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 530i JETBLACK/BLACK DAKOTA, COLD WEATHER PKG, PREMIUM PKG, ADAPTIVE XENON HEADLIGHTS, AUTO TRANSMISSION WITH 6 SPEED STEPTRONIC, BLUETOOTH SETUP,SAT SETUP AND WIFE AS CO-PILOT

how well does the v710 work??...i was hoping they would have a newer phone
Old 04-19-2005, 04:54 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i - 6 speed manual (July 04 build), silver-grey/black, sports package std equipment (18", active roll, active steering, adaptive headlights), premium sound, bluetooth enabled, folding rear seat, lumbar, 3m hood/bumper protective film, rear tint, euro reflectors.

Originally Posted by ericdbs' date='Apr 19 2005, 04:43 PM
how well does the v710 work??...i was hoping they would have a newer phone
[snapback]117359[/snapback]
I have a Motorola V5xx with At&t/Cingular. It seems to work well. Battery is not as good as my Nokia was and the blue tooth does not help that - but that is a characterstic of blue tooth I believe.
Old 04-19-2005, 08:21 PM
Members

I tried an adapter and it did not work. Took it back for a refund.

I just got a V5XX from ATT/Cingular and it works fabulously. I love it.
Old 04-20-2005, 07:19 AM
Senior Members

The only thing those adaptors do is replicate the cord for talk/listen on a standard earpiece (and even that is somewhat suspect - I know a couple of people who had nothing but echo problems with their "quasi-bluetooth-fixes"). No phonebook transfer, no steering wheel control. Just not an option. Verizon does have a patch for V710. if you don't like that phone, vote with your wallet (I did).
Old 04-20-2005, 02:16 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by sweeet' date='Apr 19 2005, 07:35 PM

No, it is not true. There is a small adapter that you can plug into any computer USB port to make it Bluetooth compatible, but not the phone.

Telephones have software on them, called firmware, that enables the Bluetooth. That only works if the phone was "Qualified" to begin with, by the Bluetooth SIG. The Motorola V710 was Qualified, but not Enabled until recently.

Quick Reply: another bluetooth question