Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

A2DP - Is it possible to be enabled in the future?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 12:04 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Originally Posted by Brit_in_NJ' post='608703' date='Jun 23 2008, 09:30 PM
Has anyone with an iPod interface tried one of these?

http://www.anycom.com/products/bluetooth_a...p;partno=CC3317

It looks like it should allow any bluetooth device with A2DP to stream audio to your car. It might even allow some iDrive integration with the ability to skip tracks.

I'd try one out if I got the ipod interface, I have 8GB of available space on my phone.

Yeah, that's pretty awesome. First I'm seeing it. Basically gives you all the integration of the factory iPod attachment, but instead of plugging the iPod to the connector, this thing hangs there, and the source device connects to that via BT. That's pretty good since it retains all the iDrive integration from the factory iPod connector.
Old 06-24-2008, 12:18 PM
Contributors

My Ride: '05 545 Titanium Silver, Black Leather - Nav, Logic 7, Cold weather. Mods: Carbon filter removed. M5 iDrive knob. Umnitza license plate LEDs. MP3 40% 3M tint ACS Anti-Roll(sway) bars RPI Scoop G-tech Pro RR CF Roundels CF Wheel caps

Originally Posted by UUronL' post='609264' date='Jun 24 2008, 04:04 PM
Yeah, that's pretty awesome. First I'm seeing it. Basically gives you all the integration of the factory iPod attachment, but instead of plugging the iPod to the connector, this thing hangs there, and the source device connects to that via BT. That's pretty good since it retains all the iDrive integration from the factory iPod connector.
I saw it a while ago...of all places sharper image or was it brookstone...

White
http://www.provantage.com/anycom-cc3317-43~7ANYC023.htm
or black

http://www.provantage.com/anycom-cc3318-43~7ANYC022.htm

Only about $40 online...someone with an iPod adapter please try it out!

I'm also curious what happens when you hook up to the bluetooth in the car at the same time to make and receive calls.
Old 06-25-2008, 04:51 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Originally Posted by Brit_in_NJ' post='609273' date='Jun 24 2008, 04:18 PM
I saw it a while ago...of all places sharper image or was it brookstone...

White
http://www.provantage.com/anycom-cc3317-43~7ANYC023.htm
or black

http://www.provantage.com/anycom-cc3318-43~7ANYC022.htm

Only about $40 online...someone with an iPod adapter please try it out!

I'm also curious what happens when you hook up to the bluetooth in the car at the same time to make and receive calls.

I'd imagine that the Anycom only pairs via A2DP... My phone can and does maintain multiple pairings, as most do. It should pair A2DP/AVRCP to the Anycom and PBA and Headset to the E60. When I drive around with my TomTom, my phone is paired to the E60 for PBA and Headset profiles. It's also simultaneously paired to the TomTom to provide Internet access to the TomTom.
Old 06-26-2008, 06:22 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 528i

Originally Posted by UUronL' post='608693' date='Jun 23 2008, 09:01 PM
I have one of these...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnQYyOuJe7A

Device review starts at 1:38.

It's the Motorola S705. You could conceivably plug the output into the E60 aux-in jack. Anything paired to it via A2DP could be controlled and streamed from the device itself, almost like a wireless remote. Most compelling would be when the iPod goes bluetooth. That interface is great, and the storage is good. You could conceivably use it like a remote with color interface - but in reality it would be sourcing your music as well as controlling it. I wrote a thread about it a while back.
The reason why I don't use the adapter as a remote in the car at least is because of the 3.5MM wiring that hangs out of your armrest. I prefer to just use my phone that's mounted on the windshield to change a song if needed. Of course, it's easier for me because my phone is touchscreen so I don't have to press through the keypads. I like to keep the Aux cable and the adapter hidden in the center armrest. I only use the remote when I'm not in the car. The thing I don't like about almost all of the bluetooth adapters like this is that you can't use it when it's being charged. Most of these devices won't last long enough from a single charge especially if you buy generic ones like the one I linked on the previous post, the battery won't last past a single charge because it' drains away. With regular bluetooth A2DP headsets like the Motorola HT820 that I have used in the past had excellent battery life and little battery drain. However, that headset did not work if you plug it in using the 3.5mm cable to 2.5mm that's supplied via bluetooth. So I only had the option of using it as a bluetooth headset or a wired headset but not both. How is the battery life on the Motorola S705? I think it's pretty cool with a lcd which I don't have on my adapter.
Old 06-27-2008, 06:50 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Boxador' post='610970' date='Jun 26 2008, 10:22 PM
The reason why I don't use the adapter as a remote in the car at least is because of the 3.5MM wiring that hangs out of your armrest. I prefer to just use my phone that's mounted on the windshield to change a song if needed. Of course, it's easier for me because my phone is touchscreen so I don't have to press through the keypads. I like to keep the Aux cable and the adapter hidden in the center armrest. I only use the remote when I'm not in the car. The thing I don't like about almost all of the bluetooth adapters like this is that you can't use it when it's being charged. Most of these devices won't last long enough from a single charge especially if you buy generic ones like the one I linked on the previous post, the battery won't last past a single charge because it' drains away. With regular bluetooth A2DP headsets like the Motorola HT820 that I have used in the past had excellent battery life and little battery drain. However, that headset did not work if you plug it in using the 3.5mm cable to 2.5mm that's supplied via bluetooth. So I only had the option of using it as a bluetooth headset or a wired headset but not both. How is the battery life on the Motorola S705? I think it's pretty cool with a lcd which I don't have on my adapter.

The battery is great. I really like it. I haven't tried to test for max battery life, but I have never had it die on me. I haven't seen any degradation of the battery. It also claims to be the only Class 1 BT device on the market. FYI - the LCD doesn't display song title.

The cool thing here is that you can have the S705 in the armrest and forget about it. You could use your touchscreen phone wherever it might be in the car.
Old 07-09-2008, 03:46 AM
Members

if you turn your brains on and make some research using google you will find that a2dp is not hardware depended and even can be realised in java applet. nokia just don't want to include this functions because who will but more newest phones if old phone can do the same functionality?
Old 07-09-2008, 04:51 AM
Contributors

My Ride: '05 545 Titanium Silver, Black Leather - Nav, Logic 7, Cold weather. Mods: Carbon filter removed. M5 iDrive knob. Umnitza license plate LEDs. MP3 40% 3M tint ACS Anti-Roll(sway) bars RPI Scoop G-tech Pro RR CF Roundels CF Wheel caps

Originally Posted by shashilx' post='619374' date='Jul 9 2008, 07:46 AM
if you turn your brains on and make some research using google you will find that a2dp is not hardware depended and even can be realised in java applet. nokia just don't want to include this functions because who will but more newest phones if old phone can do the same functionality?
This is a BMW forum not Nokia...think you might have the wrong forum we were talking about cars
Old 07-09-2008, 02:51 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by shashilx' post='619374' date='Jul 9 2008, 07:46 AM

What we meant was that it is generally accepted that BMW cannot code A2DP into the car as a supported profile due to a hardware limitation.

While you're correct - it A2DP isn't necessarily linked to hardware and you could potentially code it into the car's software, there's no telling if the bus that carries the data from the bluetooth even connects to the audio subsystem. If it does, it may not be sized to carry that volume of traffic in addition to the other budgeted traffic. Also, there is decoding that needs to be performed depending on the data format sent via A2DP - this may not be trivial for the E60 hardware to do given that it's late 20th century technology.
Old 07-09-2008, 03:11 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by UUronL' post='619840' date='Jul 9 2008, 06:51 PM
What we meant was that it is generally accepted that BMW cannot code A2DP into the car as a supported profile due to a hardware limitation.

While you're correct - it A2DP isn't necessarily linked to hardware and you could potentially code it into the car's software, there's no telling if the bus that carries the data from the bluetooth even connects to the audio subsystem. If it does, it may not be sized to carry that volume of traffic in addition to the other budgeted traffic. Also, there is decoding that needs to be performed depending on the data format sent via A2DP - this may not be trivial for the E60 hardware to do given that it's late 20th century technology.
+1

I believe the e60 has a seperate bluetooth module that probably handles the core a/d and d/a conversion for bluetooth I would hazzard a guess that this module only has a hardwired mono line to the audio system. I idrive is not particularly fast so I would expect if the conversion was happening there you would experience performance problems.

I would like to be proved wrong but somehow I doubt that we will see a software update to our older cars to enable this, but there are alternatives.