Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

A2DP - Is it possible to be enabled in the future?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 12:49 PM
ipp
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 07' 530d - M-Sport - Titanium Silver / Black Dakota leather 08' 120i - M-Sport - Alpine White III / Black Sensatec

For those who didn't know... A2DP is a protocol most new music phones does have, it makes it possible to stream music to bluetooth devices such as speakers, headsets, etc... Since the E60 has bluetooth in some configurations, it doesn't seem impossible to me. But it probably is..

I would love to have it in the car!
Old 10-23-2007, 01:17 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

without understand the hardware used in the TCU its not an easy answer to say if software can turn it on.
Old 10-23-2007, 02:22 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I'm going to guess that it's not supported by the current hardware. Clearly, since the protocol exists, we can only hope that BMW will attempt to integrate it into future cars, etc. but I wouldn't wait up for the retrofits...
Old 10-24-2007, 01:07 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

Also does anyone know if the current physical connection between the TCU and the HU is stereo or Mono. It would be quite stupid if A2DP was supported and then you heard everything mono anyway
Old 11-20-2007, 06:57 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

I have been screaming for this since oh - 2005???

BMW and Samsung issued a joint PR a while back about the 5 series supporting A2DP and AVRCP. It mentions a Bang and Olufsen stereo however... perhaps only in the Korean market??? Perhaps vaporware?

As many have stated here previously, A2DP requires a great deal of BW. If you don't have BT 2.X (which the 5 doesn't), A2DP doesn't leave room for anything else. This shouldn't be an issue though since you want to mute the audio anyway when a call is taken, but still...

I'd settle for -only- AVRCP. Imagine this...

Device is wired for power.
Device is wired for audio.
Device control plane (song changes, display information, etc...) done wirelessly via bluetooth AVRCP (Audio/Video Remote Control Profile)

So, in other words - you could have your device plugged in via Aux-in for audio, but still get all the integrated iDrive controls... This -should- work just fine and only require the coding of the AVRCP profile and the input control construct in iDrive.

Best of all, AVRCP is a "standard" so you could have interoperability with any devices using the profile.
Old 11-22-2007, 09:39 AM
Senior Members

Not possible due to hardware limitations.

I?m almost positive we?ll see this in the F01.
Old 06-17-2008, 12:14 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 528i

I always wonder why BMW and most manufacturers don't start adding the A2DP features in their bluetooth technology. I'm about to return my 06 3 series soon and what I did was use a 3.5MM Bluetooth adapter similar to this http://cgi.ebay.com/Bluetooth-2-0-A2DP-3-5mm-Stereo-Headset-Handsfree-KE970_W0QQitemZ360060555741QQihZ023QQcategoryZ80077QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262 and I plugged it in my AUX in located on the center armrest. It's annoying that I can't use my steering wheel to change songs but it's not that inconvenient since I use my phone to change the songs if I need to be or use the adapter. At least you can still change the volume and my phone is touch screen so it's even easier I guess. I plan to do the same with my upcoming 528i. I'm hoping I'll be able to connect my phone to BMW bluetooth as well as the A2DP adapter. I'll confirm to see if it works soon.
Old 06-19-2008, 05:57 PM
Members

My Ride: black 2004 e60----comfort package, light package, tinted windows, custom coded features
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by UUronL' post='496818' date='Nov 20 2007, 11:57 AM
I have been screaming for this since oh - 2005???

BMW and Samsung issued a joint PR a while back about the 5 series supporting A2DP and AVRCP. It mentions a Bang and Olufsen stereo however... perhaps only in the Korean market??? Perhaps vaporware?

As many have stated here previously, A2DP requires a great deal of BW. If you don't have BT 2.X (which the 5 doesn't), A2DP doesn't leave room for anything else. This shouldn't be an issue though since you want to mute the audio anyway when a call is taken, but still...

I'd settle for -only- AVRCP. Imagine this...

Device is wired for power.
Device is wired for audio.
Device control plane (song changes, display information, etc...) done wirelessly via bluetooth AVRCP (Audio/Video Remote Control Profile)

So, in other words - you could have your device plugged in via Aux-in for audio, but still get all the integrated iDrive controls... This -should- work just fine and only require the coding of the AVRCP profile and the input control construct in iDrive.

Best of all, AVRCP is a "standard" so you could have interoperability with any devices using the profile.

If there are already headphones on the market that support and link to BT devices via A2DP protocol, I'm sure it shouldn't be that hard to manipulate the iDrive software to use this same protocol ONLY when music is being streamed, and to recognize when a call comes in, mute the audio (turning off A2DP) and use standard bluetooth protocol for the telephone conversation. Or, the iDrive software could also be manipulated to utilize AVRCP to navigate the menu system on the phone so that it "sees" all the available music files, stores them in RAM and allows the user to navigate their music files via iDrive exclusively, so there's no need to use the AVRCP protocol while playing music, thereby being able to utilize A2DP and all the BW it would need. After all, the iDrive uses the JAVA platform; should be fairly easy to manipulate the software ourselves so long as we have a wiring/pinout diagram for the iDrive computer and some JAVA programming knowledge.
Old 06-23-2008, 05:01 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

I have one of these...

Device review starts at 1:38.

It's the Motorola S705. You could conceivably plug the output into the E60 aux-in jack. Anything paired to it via A2DP could be controlled and streamed from the device itself, almost like a wireless remote. Most compelling would be when the iPod goes bluetooth. That interface is great, and the storage is good. You could conceivably use it like a remote with color interface - but in reality it would be sourcing your music as well as controlling it. I wrote a thread about it a while back.
Old 06-23-2008, 05:30 PM
Contributors

My Ride: '05 545 Titanium Silver, Black Leather - Nav, Logic 7, Cold weather. Mods: Carbon filter removed. M5 iDrive knob. Umnitza license plate LEDs. MP3 40% 3M tint ACS Anti-Roll(sway) bars RPI Scoop G-tech Pro RR CF Roundels CF Wheel caps

Has anyone with an iPod interface tried one of these?

http://www.anycom.com/products/bluetooth_a...p;partno=CC3317

It looks like it should allow any bluetooth device with A2DP to stream audio to your car. It might even allow some iDrive integration with the ability to skip tracks.

I'd try one out if I got the ipod interface, I have 8GB of available space on my phone.

Quick Reply: A2DP - Is it possible to be enabled in the future?