Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

550i Phone Adapter?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 05:02 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 Space Gray 550i, Light Poplar Wood, Anthracite Head Liner, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Cold Weather Package, Front Ventilated Comfort Seats in Black Nasca Leather, NAV, HUD, Active Steering, Comfort Access, Night Vision, Lane Deviation Warning, Active Cruise Control, Heated Rear Seats, Folding Rear Seats, Power Shade w/ Rear Side-Shades, Rear Air Bags, Logic 7, HD Radio, Sirius Satellite Radio, iPod/USB Adapter. Car in BMW Body Shop, estimated completion 01/24/07.

I was under the impression that cell phones could be snapped into a cradle in the center console in the '08 550i. Is that not correct? I didn't see it as an option and somehow came to believe it was standard.

Thanks,

Cal

BTW, for the first 12 hours, the car exceeds all my expectations -- awesome!
Old 03-07-2008, 11:37 PM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW 550i 2007 M-Kit installed- 367 BHP Sapphire black, comfort seats, comfort access, HUD, Professional Nav, Logic 7.

Originally Posted by calpalmer' post='541049' date='Mar 7 2008, 05:02 PM
I was under the impression that cell phones could be snapped into a cradle in the center console in the '08 550i. Is that not correct? I didn't see it as an option and somehow came to believe it was standard.

Thanks,

Cal

BTW, for the first 12 hours, the car exceeds all my expectations -- awesome!
Congrats on the 550. It is a monster Engine Enjoy!!

There is no cradle for bluetooth phones. All you need to do is link the phone to the I-Drive and... Voila ... you have all the controls you need on the steering wheel.

BTW... you will need to check your phone compatibility as not all the phones are fully compatible with BMW.
Old 03-08-2008, 04:11 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 Space Gray 550i, Light Poplar Wood, Anthracite Head Liner, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Cold Weather Package, Front Ventilated Comfort Seats in Black Nasca Leather, NAV, HUD, Active Steering, Comfort Access, Night Vision, Lane Deviation Warning, Active Cruise Control, Heated Rear Seats, Folding Rear Seats, Power Shade w/ Rear Side-Shades, Rear Air Bags, Logic 7, HD Radio, Sirius Satellite Radio, iPod/USB Adapter. Car in BMW Body Shop, estimated completion 01/24/07.

Thanks, it sure is. On the phone, I have it paired, all's good there, works like a charm. I had seen a BMW brochure and posts on this forum or at bimmerfest.com to mount the phone under the lid to the center console which is what I mistakenly thought was a standard fixture on this car. Stream provided me a link to a DIY for it with BMW part numbers etc. Thanks,
Cal
Old 03-08-2008, 06:25 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 Sapphire Black on Black M5 - loaded sans soft close doors

Originally Posted by calpalmer' post='541465' date='Mar 8 2008, 07:11 AM
Thanks, it sure is. On the phone, I have it paired, all's good there, works like a charm. I had seen a BMW brochure and posts on this forum or at bimmerfest.com to mount the phone under the lid to the center console which is what I mistakenly thought was a standard fixture on this car. Stream provided me a link to a DIY for it with BMW part numbers etc. Thanks,
Cal
There are cradles made for certain phones (RAZR and iPhone) - they allow the phone to use your car's antenna and charge the phone at the same time. I liked my RAZR like that a lot - except that I kept forgetting it in the car! I intend to get a new one for the iPhone now too. They are not cheap - I think originally I paid something like $450 for the full thing installed.

Go here for more details.
www.wireless4bmw.com
Old 03-08-2008, 08:35 AM
Contributors

There are snap-ins for various cell phone models. They are not cheap and the real problem is they are "phone specific" and the darn cell phone configurations change every other month.

If you decide to upgrade your phone more often than you upgrade your car - no problem! BT works fine w/o it.
Old 03-08-2008, 05:03 PM
Senior Members

Yep, phone specific snap-in adapters... in fact while waiting for the car to be delivered, I ordered one from an English company specific to the Blackberry 8130. It came, it's cool, and I figured I'd just "snap it in" to the console location, thinking somehow the 550i was already set up with the base wired up and ready to go. No way. I have now ordered the two additional components it misses, and will wire it up in accordance with Stream's great DIY post on bimmerfest.com.

Thanks,

Cal
Old 03-08-2008, 06:45 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by calpalmer' post='541687' date='Mar 8 2008, 09:03 PM
No way. I have now ordered the two additional components it misses, and will wire it up in accordance with Stream's great DIY post on bimmerfest.com.

Thanks,

Cal
Don't forget mrbelk's DIY post on the same subject -- it's probably the post that inspired the one on bimmerfest...

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=1438
Old 03-11-2008, 02:58 PM
Senior Members

Thanks Rudy, I'll review this.... looks less simple than I thought it would be. Didn't occur to me there is TCU reprogramming involved.

Cal