Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

2005 BMW & iPhone

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2007, 12:09 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did a search on this forum and didn't get a definitive answer (if I missed it, please point me to the right direction). Anyway, I have a 2005 BMW (March 2005). I inquire with the dealership for iPod/iPhone connection option for my car. I was told to either get the "iPod Kit" or the "aux in" option. They are sure that both will work with iPod, but they weren't sure about the iPhone because it was too new.

The "aux in", as I understand it, is cheaper option. Any idea if this will work with the iPhone (to get the iPod functionality of the iPhone)? Thank you.

Gina
Old 07-15-2007, 07:11 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I'm sure others with more experience will chime in here but I'll try to explain the stuff that I know of...

First of all, I do not yet own an actual iPod so I've never used the factory interface. My car has the new iPod/USB interface and I've only used the USB part so far.

Anyway, the aux in method simply transfers the sound output of the iPod (or any MP3 player) that has a headphone jack. You just plug a wire between the headphone jack and the aux input and you'll get sound through the speakers. Any controlling of the unit has to take place by touching the unit itself, not iDrive. The only thing iDrive will control using the aux connector is volume, tone, balance, fader, etc.

The following part is where I'm a little foggy since I've never actually seen or used this method:
The early iPod interfaces on the E60 used the CD changer interface. You had to give up the changer in order to use the iPod interface. You were able the change songs on the iPod using iDrive but you had to select the CD changer and each "CD" (discs 1-6) functioned differently on the iPod.

On the newer cars, the iPod/USB interface does not remove the CD changer and it's supposed to control the iPod more natively than the older "CD1, CD2, CD3, etc." method.

I'm sure there is much more information on the forums about this but for now, that's all I can offer...
Old 07-16-2007, 07:11 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='448240' date='Jul 15 2007, 11:11 PM
I'm sure others with more experience will chime in here but I'll try to explain the stuff that I know of...

First of all, I do not yet own an actual iPod so I've never used the factory interface. My car has the new iPod/USB interface and I've only used the USB part so far.

Anyway, the aux in method simply transfers the sound output of the iPod (or any MP3 player) that has a headphone jack. You just plug a wire between the headphone jack and the aux input and you'll get sound through the speakers. Any controlling of the unit has to take place by touching the unit itself, not iDrive. The only thing iDrive will control using the aux connector is volume, tone, balance, fader, etc.

The following part is where I'm a little foggy since I've never actually seen or used this method:
The early iPod interfaces on the E60 used the CD changer interface. You had to give up the changer in order to use the iPod interface. You were able the change songs on the iPod using iDrive but you had to select the CD changer and each "CD" (discs 1-6) functioned differently on the iPod.

On the newer cars, the iPod/USB interface does not remove the CD changer and it's supposed to control the iPod more natively than the older "CD1, CD2, CD3, etc." method.

I'm sure there is much more information on the forums about this but for now, that's all I can offer...
Thank you, Rudy.

Can someone confirm that the aux in method (in older BMW such as mine) works for the iPhone's iPod functionality?
Old 07-16-2007, 07:18 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Blindpilot' post='448380' date='Jul 16 2007, 11:11 AM
Thank you, Rudy.

Can someone confirm that the aux in method (in older BMW such as mine) works for the iPhone's iPod functionality?
I actually meant to comment about that -- I don't know for sure but it's been mentioned that the headphone interface of the iPhone might not be a "normal" stereo output type (that would work with normal headphones). Since the unit is a phone, there might be an additional conductor for a microphone input (I assume that the earbuds or headphones that come with an iPhone has a microphone too.)

I think the easiest way to check this out if you have an iPhone is to simply take a standard set of headphones and plug them in. If you hear stereo sound through both ears, then the aux connector in the car should work. Keep in mind that you may need an adapter to reduce the size of the headphone plug so that it fits in the phone (again, assuming that the iPhone's headset jack is miniature in size.)
Old 07-16-2007, 05:05 PM
Senior Members

I can confirm the aux input does indeed work with the iPhone. I have a 2004 530i 10/03 build). However, you will need to shave down, with a sharp knife, the end of the mini-jack to mini-jack cable to make it fully seat into the recessed iPhone headphone jack.

I like it. With bluetooth on the iPhone, it will fade out the music and then the call shows up on the iDrive, which you can accept or deny. After you take the call or deny it, the music starts right off where it faded out. Nice.

I would however like some definitive confirmation that the optional MOST iPod adaptor that works into the CD changer fiber optic cable works with the iPhone. I believe it does, but you do initially get the 'Device not compatible' warning on the iPhone on initial plug-in. I would also like to know if the iPod adaptor charges the iPhone. If it works and charges, I would buy this. It's 400 bucks retail plus installation/enabling the CD changer in iDrive. I know you can get this for 225 plus shipping from Gary at Newport BMW though.
Old 07-17-2007, 05:21 AM
Members

Originally Posted by acribb' post='448593' date='Jul 16 2007, 09:05 PM
I can confirm the aux input does indeed work with the iPhone. I have a 2004 530i 10/03 build). However, you will need to shave down, with a sharp knife, the end of the mini-jack to mini-jack cable to make it fully seat into the recessed iPhone headphone jack.

I like it. With bluetooth on the iPhone, it will fade out the music and then the call shows up on the iDrive, which you can accept or deny. After you take the call or deny it, the music starts right off where it faded out. Nice.

I would however like some definitive confirmation that the optional MOST iPod adaptor that works into the CD changer fiber optic cable works with the iPhone. I believe it does, but you do initially get the 'Device not compatible' warning on the iPhone on initial plug-in. I would also like to know if the iPod adaptor charges the iPhone. If it works and charges, I would buy this. It's 400 bucks retail plus installation/enabling the CD changer in iDrive. I know you can get this for 225 plus shipping from Gary at Newport BMW though.
Thank you, acribb.

I'm not sure I'm handy enough to shave the mini-jack cable thing (I'm a girl. lol). In lieu, can I use this gadget ?
Old 07-17-2007, 05:31 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Blindpilot' post='448865' date='Jul 17 2007, 09:21 AM
Thank you, acribb.

I'm not sure I'm handy enough to shave the mini-jack cable thing (I'm a girl. lol). In lieu, can I use this gadget ?
The "gadget" you linked to won't solve your problem. If you can't shave a little bit of plastic off of one end of a standard audio cable because you're a girl, then find a guy to do it!

It's really not hard to do -- there were some pictures posted somewhere (can't remember if it was on this site or another one). If I find them, I'll post them here.

Alternatively, although it looks kind of bulky, I think the following adapter might be what you're looking for...
http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebO...nMore=TN546LL/A
Old 07-17-2007, 06:33 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='448872' date='Jul 17 2007, 09:31 AM
The "gadget" you linked to won't solve your problem. If you can't shave a little bit of plastic off of one end of a standard audio cable because you're a girl, then find a guy to do it!

It's really not hard to do -- there were some pictures posted somewhere (can't remember if it was on this site or another one). If I find them, I'll post them here.

Alternatively, although it looks kind of bulky, I think the following adapter might be what you're looking for...
http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebO...nMore=TN546LL/A
I knew I shouldn't have broken up with my boyfriend last month.

Hey, Rudy, thanks for the link. That adapter you posted might be a better alternative to taking back my ex-boyfriend.
Old 07-17-2007, 06:41 AM
Members

Originally Posted by acribb' post='448593' date='Jul 17 2007, 02:05 AM
I've just had the MOST iPod adaptor installed in my 04 model 530d, the car was recoded last week so should be running the latest version of CIP. Works great with my 80GB ipod even though I've not gone through the retrofit process (iPod comes up as CD1, CD2, CD3 etc), also works fine with the iPhone. First time I plugged it in before turning on the ignition I got a 'Device not compatible' warning and it played some tracks but not all. Unplugged the cable and plugged it back in and got a different screen saying 'Device not compatible' with a white background and a picture of an iPod, tried about 8 tracks and they all played with no problems and sound quality was pretty much the same as the iPod I have, it also charged the iPhone as well.
Old 07-17-2007, 03:37 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Skip' post='448890' date='Jul 17 2007, 10:41 AM
I've just had the MOST iPod adaptor installed in my 04 model 530d, the car was recoded last week so should be running the latest version of CIP. Works great with my 80GB ipod even though I've not gone through the retrofit process (iPod comes up as CD1, CD2, CD3 etc), also works fine with the iPhone. First time I plugged it in before turning on the ignition I got a 'Device not compatible' warning and it played some tracks but not all. Unplugged the cable and plugged it back in and got a different screen saying 'Device not compatible' with a white background and a picture of an iPod, tried about 8 tracks and they all played with no problems and sound quality was pretty much the same as the iPod I have, it also charged the iPhone as well.
Good to know that it works with the iPod adaptor. I may have to spring for it soon..... Too bad that error comes up though. Please let us know if you have any other trouble using the iPhone with it.