Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

2004 525 Bottom line on Phones

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2004, 05:55 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Geting back to the topic of the phone . . .

There certainly is an option for a hands free phone in the US. It is the Motorola V60 phone. It integrates with the I drive.

It isn't cheap, but the phones integrated in these cars never are.

It is a shame the Bluetooth option isn't an option.
Old 02-08-2004, 08:08 PM
HonestAbe

Originally Posted by stl545' date='Feb 8 2004, 08:55 PM
Geting back to the topic of the phone . . .

There certainly is an option for a hands free phone in the US. It is the Motorola V60 phone. It integrates with the I drive.

It isn't cheap, but the phones integrated in these cars never are.

It is a shame the Bluetooth option isn't an option.
Sorry, but the CPT9000 option is currently non-functional as well. There remain interface problems with BMW Assist and iDrive, which have not been figured out.

The "cutting edge" E60 employs the Motorola v60i telephone which is 2001-2002 technology. They will charge you $535 dollars for a phone that otherwise could be had for $0 to $99 depending on the service plan and carrier.

Banglenot is the typical poster-boy for BMW apologism. Like a programed robot he spouts the company line, attempting to minimize obvious problems and attack the credibility of E60 critics. Maybe he should go by the handle: BangleBOT (banglenot + robot)! His entire post offers no information of the status of cellphone integration in the E60. As an American, let me apologize for his ignorance.
Old 02-09-2004, 12:12 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by HonestAbe' date='Feb 8 2004, 11:08 PM
Sorry, but the CPT9000 option is currently non-functional as well. There remain interface problems with BMW Assist and iDrive, which have not been figured out.

The "cutting edge" E60 employs the Motorola v60i telephone which is 2001-2002 technology. They will charge you $535 dollars for a phone that otherwise could be had for $0 to $99 depending on the service plan and carrier.

Banglenot is the typical poster-boy for BMW apologism. Like a programed robot he spouts the company line, attempting to minimize obvious problems and attack the credibility of E60 critics. Maybe he should go by the handle: BangleBOT (banglenot + robot)!? His entire post offers no information of the status of cellphone integration in the E60.? As an American, let me apologize for his ignorance.
But this applies to any manufacturer that wants to tightly integrate a GSM phone into their product. The simple fact it has a hardwire link means than the car's developers must work with what they have available at the time, hence you are seeing 2001-2002 technology. They largely unable to future proof this feature simply because of the pace at which phone technology is moving. Certainly Mercedes are no different - their integrated phone looks like a house brick.

Bluetooth is of course different, and presents an excellent opportunity for the car maker because it is (largely) open standards and a wireless solution. However, as already stated the problems you are having in the States may well be down to unresolved local regulatory issues, as the solution works perfectly in the rest of the world.

Why do you keep calling people apologists? Seemingly you cannot accept there are other countries that exist other than yours where the phone experience has been good, or accept that many of your fellow citizens can accept the (local) phone problems and not dismiss the entire car because of them.

You seem a very bitter person. As E60-530d-London asked, have you actually bought one, and had poor dealer service?
Old 02-09-2004, 02:24 AM
Members

E60-530d-London, it was your suggestion a month or so back which lead me to buy the T610, I've asked the dealer to get the snap in so hopefully it will arrive before the end of the month, thanks for the advice .

HonestAbe I don't think the orginal poster made their location clear so your dire warnings may well have put them off buying a product which works well in their country. As for phone implementation my father purchased a S type jag just over 2 years ago and spent nearly ?1,000 for factory fitted phone and was very disappointed with an archaic brick.

As the previous poster has said Mercedes are no better so while you wish to critise BMW for their problems implementing a new technology I for one am a delighted BMW customer who has one of the latest phones on the market fully integrated into my new 5 series.

I would say the best way to help people is give them the detailed helpful facts and let them make up their own minds on whether they should "STAY AWAY FROM THIS VEHICLE"
Old 02-09-2004, 04:55 AM
HonestAbe

Originally Posted by GarryF' date='Feb 9 2004, 05:24 AM
E60-530d-London, it was your suggestion a month or so back which lead me to buy the T610, I've asked the dealer to get the snap in so hopefully it will arrive before the end of the month, thanks for the advice .

HonestAbe I don't think the orginal poster made their location clear so your dire warnings may well have put them off buying a product which works well in their country. As for phone implementation my father purchased a S type jag just over 2 years ago and spent nearly ?1,000 for factory fitted phone and was very disappointed with an archaic brick.

As the previous poster has said Mercedes are no better so while you wish to critise BMW for their problems implementing a new technology I for one am a delighted BMW customer who has one of the latest phones on the market fully integrated into my new 5 series.

I would say the best way to help people is give them the detailed helpful facts and let them make up their own minds on whether they should "STAY AWAY FROM THIS VEHICLE"
Lets be crystal clear here. If STER lives outside the USA, and has purchased the E60, he should by all means pursue the Bluetooth option available for his vehicle.

If STER lives in the USA, he is without options, and CANNOT integrate a cellphone of any make or model with the E60. PERIOD.

Browellm would like us to falsely believe that US regulations have resulting in this problem for US customers, but it just aint so. Rather, it is simple BMW profiteering which has resulted in this fiasco. They decided to force US buyers into their OnStar-like product (BMW Assist) which is poorly conceived and supported. BMW has bundled BMW Assist in the vehicle and will charge owners a monthly subscription fee for this substandard product after the first year. In their haste to shakedown more money from consumers, hey never bothered to see what problems this system might cause. Among the many such problems is the inability to integrate a cellphone. Tring to blame such event on US regulatory agencies rather then BMW, is classic apologism. BTW: the lack of integration includes all GSM, TDMA, CDMA phones.

There are MANY other problems with this vehicle (at least the USA versions). So once again let me state with addendum: STAY FAR AWAY FROM THIS VEHICLE if you live in the USA, as BMW has not worked out MANY problems and issues to this date. Hopefully this will appease those european customers who seem ever able to wave the BMW flag and ignore its product deficiencies.
Old 02-09-2004, 06:08 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2001 BMW 316ti, 2004 BMW 530d, 2006 BMW 530xd, 2013 BMW 320d touring, 2014 BMW 520d touring, 2016 BMW X5, 2020 BMW 320da touring, 2020 BMW 540i
Model Year: 1974
Engine: Flat six
Talking

I haven?t drive the perfect car yet.
There is always something that isn't working good or some details that had been forgoten.
This includes BMW, Mercedes, Audi, Jaguar, Volvo, Lexus, .......
A friend of mine once told me something: " I will never buy a new car model until it has 3 years in the market". You know why? After 3 years a lot of bugs and problems have been fixed and the product have more quality.
I'm sure that BMW will try to solve that problem of the phone in the US.
Don't you forget that the US market is a priority to BMW.
You can see the models X5 and the new X3. They were made thinking in the US market.
BMW will solve this problem. I agree that it's not easy to buy a car like this and have that kind of problem.
I think that will be good that this forum will be used to inform about the problems and defects of the E60 and its good things too.
They are aware of the problem!
And after all, you can be shure that in BMW they read this forum too....
Old 02-09-2004, 07:18 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by HonestAbe' date='Feb 9 2004, 07:55 AM
Browellm would like us to falsely believe that US regulations have resulting in this problem for US customers, but it just aint so.
HonestAbe: Stop digging and step away from the shovel.

Not only are you ranting like an old woman, you are destroying any shred of credibility you may have had by making up your own story as you go along.

My quote was "may well be down to unresolved local regulatory issues". I offered this up as a merely as a *possible* constructive explanation. How in hell do you translate this to "Browellm would like us to falsely believe that US regulations have resulting in this problem for US customers"?

My suggestion would be to don a sandwich board and shout your E60 advice to anyone who will listen. Preferably wearing just your socks. And maybe a funny hat.
Old 02-09-2004, 08:24 AM
Senior Members

I believe that the adaptive brake lights are now legal in the UK/Europe and your dealer can activate this feature. This system was passed for European use in January. I haven't had time to go to mine yet.

As for those people in the US who are frustrated at the lack of options available at launch you have my full sympathy but I also agree with others on this board from Europe that a hostile attitude doesn't do anyone on here any favours. There is a whole big wide world outside the US and the E60's in it seem to work just fine according to the majority of posts on here.

Have you written to the top man at BMWNA and asked for a response on why these items don't work in the US? I sure would if the situation had been reversed and it had happened here. The only thing I have to complain about is that I still can't get a snap in adapter for my Nokia 6310i phone.
Old 02-09-2004, 11:22 AM
Another 530D in London

My tuppence worth (and yes, I am in the UK - not the USA) is that the bluetooth option in my 530D works like a dream. Complete integration with my T-610 phone, including phonebook, last dialled numbers etc..... Oh yes - and it works just fine with the Nav system too - for example, you can select a hotel or restaurant etc from the nav system, and then have the car dial that establishment to make a reservation.

What's more, with the new UK laws on driving whilst talking on a cellphone, this is an essential option. It works well, the sound quality is fantastic too.

My only gripe is that there is not an ancilliary keypad in the vehicle (so when I am listening to my messages, I could press "3" to delete, or "7" to save, etc..."

So - it appears that BMW haven't got it right for the US market, but then again, they sell more cars in the rest of the world, and 70+% of bluetooth compatible devices are sold outside of the USA. (Asia and Europe making up the majority)

It's kind of funny to see yanks blowing off steam here. Remember - BMW is a german car company. How many EU specific options do you see on Chevys for example ?? What's that ? They don't even make most of their models in RHD for the UK market ?

As for the adaptive brake light info - cheers, I'll call my dealer tomorrow (probably via my bluetooth phone in the car) and see about getting that switched on.

In summary:

I'm personally recommending all of my European friends to buy E60 BMWs - what's more, pretty much everyone who has been in the vehicle with me has been extremely impressed indeed.

It's a good (if not great) car. There are some niggles right now (like the SW upgradeable MP3 CD feature for example). There are differences between US and EU product and markets. We can't buy handguns over the counter in the UK and americans can't buy bluetooth equipped BMWs in the US. No big deal.

If bluetooth capability matters than much to you, go buy a 3rd party product and shut up whining.
Old 02-09-2004, 02:24 PM
Members

Bottomline

You can integrate a cellphone with hands free operation in the E60 in the US. It is a Motorola phone and it works quite well.

Bluetooth is another matter.

This guy doesn't know what he is talking about!!!!

Quick Reply: 2004 525 Bottom line on Phones