Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

2004 525 Bottom line on Phones

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2004, 08:55 AM
ster

I have a 2004 525. Can I get a Blue Tooth Phone that will integrate with the car?

What are my options? What is the status?

Thanks
Old 02-06-2004, 12:18 PM
HonestAbe

The short answer is NO.

The E60 is a REALLY screwed-up vehicle.

For US customers, BMW has FORCED its product "BMW ASSIST" down your throat. This "option" requires a subscription fee after the first year and is an attempt to scam you for more of your money.

Even worse is the fact that BMW Assist is incompatable with Bluetooth. To make matters worse, it is even incompatible with the stardard (and way overpriced) CPT9000 BMW cellphone system as well. So back to unsightly cigarette-lighter adaptors and your phone bouncing around the car.

Here, a purportedly sports luxury vehicle with NO WAY to allow handsfree phone use ! Car costing far less than half of this offer better options. If this wasn't so pathetic, it might be funny. I'm sure MBenz, Lexus, Audi et al are laughing.

Lesson is: STAY AWAY FROM THE E60. Far far away.
Old 02-06-2004, 01:25 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2001 BMW 316ti, 2004 BMW 530d, 2006 BMW 530xd, 2013 BMW 320d touring, 2014 BMW 520d touring, 2016 BMW X5, 2020 BMW 320da touring, 2020 BMW 540i
Model Year: 1974
Engine: Flat six
Talking

In Europe works, maybe because the "ASSIST" it's optional and customers don't pay for it.
Tuga.
Old 02-06-2004, 01:36 PM
Members

The starting point for this discussion is the location of our friend, ster. If ster lives in Europe, then Bluetooth in the E60 works very, very well. I can empathise with Abe insofar as BMW have clearly dropped the ball with the implementation of Bluetooth in the USA. However, having read his post a couple of times, I suspect that this chap has another agenda entirely.

So, ster, if you are EU-resident, take the option and buy a supported phone. It really is one of the best - in this I mean most useful - options on the car.
Old 02-06-2004, 07:41 PM
HonestAbe

Originally Posted by E60-530d-London' date='Feb 6 2004, 04:36 PM
I can empathise with Abe insofar as BMW have clearly dropped the ball with the implementation of Bluetooth in the USA. However, having read his post a couple of times, I suspect that this chap has another agenda entirely.
BMW has not dropped the ball on this one --- they haven't even caught it !

Not only does Bluetooth not work in the USA, but even the has-been Motorola v60i phone that BMW sells you for $550 cant interface with iDrive in the E60.

Nobody with any sense would read YOUR post "a couple of times" at it is more of the tow-the-BMW-party-line drivel. I sugeest you make an honest appraisal of the E60's many deficiencies before criticizing those who have already done so.

BTW: so Ster, if you live in the USA, you have NO options. I would suggest registering a complaint at BMW North America Customer Service.
Old 02-06-2004, 10:33 PM
Members

Mate - whether the E60 is a poor product or not is a totally subjective discussion suited best to the punters on Roadfly. I do not wish to continue what is a totally pointless conversation. However, that the Bluetooth system works well here in Europe is a matter of fact, and I would not wish your comments to deter a potential owner from ordering it!
Old 02-07-2004, 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by E60-530d-London' date='Feb 7 2004, 01:33 AM
Mate - whether the E60 is a poor product or not is a totally subjective discussion suited best to the punters on Roadfly. I do not wish to continue what is a totally pointless conversation. However, that the Bluetooth system works well here in Europe is a matter of fact, and I would not wish your comments to deter a potential owner from ordering it!
Another jolly-good bit of apologism I see.

It is an OBJECTIVE FACT that BMW is unable to support ANY TYPE of handfree cellphone use in the E60 for the US market.

Let us not have your banter regarding a european version of the E60 mislead US customers into thinking that they have any options in this regard. The US version of the E60 is unsupported in MANY important areas, and should be avoided.

Cheerio ... and all that.
Old 02-07-2004, 07:47 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Guest' date='Feb 7 2004, 07:44 AM
[quote name='E60-530d-London' date='Feb 7 2004, 01:33 AM'] Mate - whether the E60 is a poor product or not is a totally subjective discussion suited best to the punters on Roadfly.? I do not wish to continue what is a totally pointless conversation.? However, that the Bluetooth system works well here in Europe is a matter of fact, and I would not wish your comments to deter a potential owner from ordering it!
Another jolly-good bit of apologism I see.

It is an OBJECTIVE FACT that BMW is unable to support ANY TYPE of handfree cellphone use in the E60 for the US market.

Let us not have your banter regarding a european version of the E60 mislead US customers into thinking that they have any options in this regard. The US version of the E60 is unsupported in MANY important areas, and should be avoided.

Cheerio ... and all that. [/quote]
So are you trying to say that as we're not from the US we shouldn't contribute what is constructive information (for non-US citizens) to the thread? Cock off you sad pony.

And your faux Britishisms are crap, btw. Dude. etc. etc.
Old 02-07-2004, 09:45 AM
Members

In Sweden any Bluetooth phone can be integrated with I-Drive functions as long as you can find and fit a adapter between the front seats under the armrest.
Old 02-07-2004, 07:24 PM
Esteemed Guest

Originally Posted by browellm' date='Feb 7 2004, 10:47 AM
So are you trying to say that as we're not from the US we shouldn't contribute what is constructive information (for non-US citizens) to the thread? Cock off you sad pony.

And your faux Britishisms are crap, btw. Dude. etc. etc.
What I believe he is saying is that BMW has NO solutions for handfree cellphone use in the 2004 E60 destined for the LARGE US market, and that this is rather unacceptable.

I would guess that he did not appreciate the assertion made by the gent from London, that his post had some "other agenda entirely". I dont know what that agenda might be, other than to warn a potential US buyer that he may well be out of luck should he purchase a 2004 5-series vehicle.

I was not aware that Brits were so thin skinned. I guess you more resemble Mr. Bean than Mr. Churchill.

Quick Reply: 2004 525 Bottom line on Phones