Archived Sales A read only forum of all past vendor sales.

Ultimate Racing E60 535i Downpipes

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 08:14 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Hey guys,

My name is Darryl from Ultimate Racing. As some of you may know, we are a performance manufacturing company based in Toronto, Canada. We specialize in Forced Induction. We recently made the leap to the BMW world with our 2007 E90, and E92 335i's. Considering the E60 535i uses the same powerplant as the 335i, I thought this product may be of interest to some on this forum so I've copied some of the text, and data from my thread on a neighboring 335i forum. Keep in mind, all of the performance data is from our E92 335i (manual transmission).

Introducing, the Ultimate Racing E60 535i Downpipes.

Metal Substrate High-Flow Catted Downpipes

Catless Downpipes

Both versions feature 304 stainless steel piping, machined flanges, o2 sensor bungs, and of course...our guarantee of fitment. Each piece, is hand made in-house, and TIG welded to perfection. Using cast (not mandrel) 304 stainless steel elbows allows us to maintain a 100% uniform diameter throughout the entire product (as opposed to crush bends, or some mandrel bends that have wrinkles left behind).

The original prototypes were initially fabricated, and installed several months ago. Our in-house fabricators, and mechanics joked about quitting if they ever had to fabricate these again. These downpipes are quite possibly the most difficult products we've ever had to make here at Ultimate Racing. Really, this only has to do with the limited space provided. We first installed the Metal Substrate High-Flow Catted Downpipes. We've since been driving, and putting several thousand miles on them to ensure durability, and trouble-free performance.

A few weeks ago, we took our 335i coupe to have emissions tested with the high-flow catted downpipes installed. At the time, the car was also equipped with our Ultimate Racing Cat-Back exhaust (secondary cats removed). The car passed! Emissions testing in Ontario, Canada is quite strict. We've heard, almost as strict as California testing. I will post the results of the emissions test later on with detailed information on Ontario's emissions limits, and the emissions emitted by our 335i. That way you can all compare to your state's testing limits. We have not bothered emissions testing the catless downpipes for obvious reasons.

Now onto the results.

Three dyno charts. For comparison purposes, these were all performed with the stock catback exhaust installed.

Ultimate Racing 335i 100% Stock - 273.30 whp / 272.95 ft.lbs
Ultimate Racing 335i Metal Substrate High-Flow Catted Downpipes - 295.47 whp / 294.49 ft.lbs
Ultimate Racing 335i Catless Downpipes - 301.18 whp / 297.98 ft.lbs

Now for some reason this forum won't let me link this Dyno Chart, so I've had to hyperlink it:
http://www.ultimate-racing.com/BMW/335i/Do...lessVSHFCat.bmp

The chart is pretty clear, and the math is pretty easy to do. So I won't bother with any explanations. We are extremely pleased with the results though.

Questions? Comments?

Darryl
www.ultimate-racing.com
Old 08-27-2007, 09:12 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ultimate Racing' post='463002' date='Aug 27 2007, 08:14 AM
Hey guys,

My name is Darryl from Ultimate Racing. As some of you may know, we are a performance manufacturing company based in Toronto, Canada. We specialize in Forced Induction. We recently made the leap to the BMW world with our 2007 E90, and E92 335i's. Considering the E60 535i uses the same powerplant as the 335i, I thought this product may be of interest to some on this forum so I've copied some of the text, and data from my thread on a neighboring 335i forum. Keep in mind, all of the performance data is from our E92 335i (manual transmission).

Introducing, the Ultimate Racing E60 535i Downpipes.

Metal Substrate High-Flow Catted Downpipes

Catless Downpipes

Both versions feature 304 stainless steel piping, machined flanges, o2 sensor bungs, and of course...our guarantee of fitment. Each piece, is hand made in-house, and TIG welded to perfection. Using cast (not mandrel) 304 stainless steel elbows allows us to maintain a 100% uniform diameter throughout the entire product (as opposed to crush bends, or some mandrel bends that have wrinkles left behind).

The original prototypes were initially fabricated, and installed several months ago. Our in-house fabricators, and mechanics joked about quitting if they ever had to fabricate these again. These downpipes are quite possibly the most difficult products we've ever had to make here at Ultimate Racing. Really, this only has to do with the limited space provided. We first installed the Metal Substrate High-Flow Catted Downpipes. We've since been driving, and putting several thousand miles on them to ensure durability, and trouble-free performance.

A few weeks ago, we took our 335i coupe to have emissions tested with the high-flow catted downpipes installed. At the time, the car was also equipped with our Ultimate Racing Cat-Back exhaust (secondary cats removed). The car passed! Emissions testing in Ontario, Canada is quite strict. We've heard, almost as strict as California testing. I will post the results of the emissions test later on with detailed information on Ontario's emissions limits, and the emissions emitted by our 335i. That way you can all compare to your state's testing limits. We have not bothered emissions testing the catless downpipes for obvious reasons.

Now onto the results.

Three dyno charts. For comparison purposes, these were all performed with the stock catback exhaust installed.

Ultimate Racing 335i 100% Stock - 273.30 whp / 272.95 ft.lbs
Ultimate Racing 335i Metal Substrate High-Flow Catted Downpipes - 295.47 whp / 294.49 ft.lbs
Ultimate Racing 335i Catless Downpipes - 301.18 whp / 297.98 ft.lbs

Now for some reason this forum won't let me link this Dyno Chart, so I've had to hyperlink it:
http://www.ultimate-racing.com/BMW/335i/Do...lessVSHFCat.bmp

The chart is pretty clear, and the math is pretty easy to do. So I won't bother with any explanations. We are extremely pleased with the results though.

Questions? Comments?

Darryl
www.ultimate-racing.com
Very informative post and interesting product. Please post the asking price.
Old 08-27-2007, 10:03 AM
Members

Originally Posted by E60M5E60' post='463014' date='Aug 27 2007, 01:12 PM
Very informative post and interesting product. Please post the asking price.
I'm not sure what the rules here are about posting prices. So please visit our website for pricing. Both parts are very reasonably priced, something BMW guys usually aren't used to! You'll need to visit the 335i forum section for now, the 535i section will be added shortly.

Darryl
www.ultimate-racing.com
Old 08-27-2007, 12:14 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i, BMW Stainless Steel Pedals, #166 Rims

Why not purge weld the pipes?

They look like a pia to make with all the cutting and pasting.

Good info on the post, thanks keep up the good work.
Old 08-30-2007, 03:40 PM
Members

Very interesting. Can you rate the difficulty and time needed for instillation?
Old 08-31-2007, 06:15 AM
Members

Originally Posted by arcticT' post='464353' date='Aug 30 2007, 07:40 PM
Very interesting. Can you rate the difficulty and time needed for instillation?
Calls for about 3-4 hours depending on experience. We've had several customers do it on their driveway with ramps. The most difficult part is the space provided. We usually suggest taking this to an experienced mechanic to install.

Darryl
Old 09-01-2007, 11:08 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i SMG with Limited Slip Differential
Model Year: 2005

Ultimate, do these parts need a remap or something else ?
In other words, after installed .. Does the iDrive show something, something flash .. ? Control units or so .. ?
On both 535i and 335i, I mean .
Thank you, bye!
Old 09-01-2007, 05:44 PM
Members

Originally Posted by AlexFW' post='464844' date='Sep 1 2007, 02:08 PM
In other words, after installed .. Does the iDrive show something, something flash .. ? Control units or so .. ?
Thank you, bye!

I was wondering the same thing as far as codes go. I assume you would need some sort of O2 simulators for the cat-less pipes.
Old 09-02-2007, 07:41 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i SMG with Limited Slip Differential
Model Year: 2005

Originally Posted by arcticT' post='464928' date='Sep 2 2007, 03:44 AM
I was wondering the same thing as far as codes go. I assume you would need some sort of O2 simulators for the cat-less pipes.
I hope Ultimate will answer!
Old 09-04-2007, 05:57 AM
Members

Originally Posted by AlexFW' post='464844' date='Sep 1 2007, 03:08 PM
Thank you, bye!
There should be no need for any remap if you only plan to upgrade minor exhaust parts. The dyno charts shown were made with a completely stock 335i (no tuning, stock exhaust section, etc). The only mod was our downpipes. Of course, if your DME has already been remapped for existing mods, you will more than likely require a tweak to reap the benefits of these downpipes.

Darryl
www.ultimate-racing.com

Quick Reply: Ultimate Racing E60 535i Downpipes