7 Series Discussion A place for 7 series owners and those curious.

H&R Spring Install Questions..

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 11:51 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes sir. The CD changer is basically replaced by the mobridge unit. Obviously, you still have the in dash single cd player. I figure with the ipod/iphone hooked up it is basically like having a changer anyway. Having no text on the idrive I am still bitter about, but it is what it is from what research I have done. I have moved on to accepting the loss of the cd changer and the limited functionality to finding the cleanest way to integrate the install.

I have also been researching the Navi03 units in the 05+ e65/e66. I have actually seen someone with the Navi02 dvd unit in the 04MY successfully retrofit a Navi03 unit and update the software to get some of the functionality of the later model years. Bird's Eye view, day/night view, and better looking graphics were all pretty obvious from my inspection.

I spent a lot of time researching before I decided to do any modification to my car at all. I really got in to the programming and some of the coding that makes our cars work just because I didn't understand why the MOST system in 05+ years was so much more adaptive to things like the iPod, or MP3 reading, etc. Ultimately what I would like to do is to install a Mobridge unit and split the video feed. I want the iPhone to work with the dock in the ashtray and when I reverse I want it to automatically trigger the video feed input from a reverse camera I want to flush mount in the rear of the car. The video I want to feed into a hidden small lcd tv behind a two way mirror on the right side of the rear view mirror. Very stealth and very OEM feeling. (I hope.) I know the Mobridge unit has an auxillary input. The only variables are tapping the video for use off of the idrive screen and an automatic trigger when in reverse (possibly fed by the same programming that turns on the parking sensors).

High expectations I know. "-)
Old 01-08-2010, 12:33 PM
Senior Members

Personally, I dont know if I am willing to lost the CD Changer, however, I am willing to lost the single CD player for the Ipod. If you run into anything like this, let me know.
Old 01-08-2010, 01:10 PM
Members

No problem brotha. Technically it is feasible. I need to understand more about how the unit interacts with the cd changer's hardwiring. It may very well be just how you hardwire it. My only other comment would be do you really want a non-functional cd player in your dash, in plain view that doesn't work? At least when you remove the changer you can buy an OEM dash piece which covers up the original changer location. just my 2 cents.
Old 01-08-2010, 01:15 PM
Senior Members

You could just have a little compartment or whole to hold your Ipod where the single CD player goes.