7 Series Discussion A place for 7 series owners and those curious.

H&R Spring Install Questions..

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 03:10 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello Everyone,

I have had an e65 '04 745i for some time and have decided rather than buy another car I would give one of the best vehicles I have owned a second life. I was in need of new tires and a good friend of mine was kind enough to give me the 22" forged 2 piece wheels off of his 750i. They have been in my garage for almost a year.

Every shop I talk to in the area tries to talk me out of installing them, while people who have 22" wheels on their e65/e66 tells me that the bend rims and the ride quality are all worth it and in some cases give a much better feel.

So I have grown frustrated with the contradiction and have decided to do the install of the wheels and springs myself. I know I need a 3/8 torque wrench, a proper jack, and stands. The rest of the tools I have. It has been years since I have worked on a car, but I would like to get back to it. I was looking at Sam's instructions and they seem very detailed. Does anyone know why the pictures do not work?

Also, one of the rear tires on the 22" wheels I have appears to have a bubble on the sidewall. They are 295/25/22, so obviously I am concerned. Should I replace before instaling the wheels? The back side of one of the wheels appears to have some outer edge damage. You would never see it if it were installed, but there is some slight rusting and the chrome has been worn off. They are two piece. Should I buy another barrell? They are two piece, but it appears mostly surface rather than anything structural. There is also a slight amount of surface rust colored build up on the back of the rim where they attach to the hub. Should I be concerned?

Lastly, has anyone heard anything about Nexen tires? They apparently make Lexani branded tires too. I have found multiple deals on them for around $550 for a set in 265/30/22 F and 295/25/22 R.

Sorry for all the questions, but I just want to do this already. I was so excited to have it all done and then people really started to destroy the dream. Is it me or is it still possible to modify a well kept 745i will class?

Thank you so much for reading and any help.

m3ryder
H&R Spring Install Questions..-img_0244.jpg
Old 01-06-2010, 04:45 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by m3ryder' post='1085553
So I have grown frustrated with the contradiction and have decided to do the install of the wheels and springs myself. I know I need a 3/8 torque wrench, a proper jack, and stands. The rest of the tools I have. It has been years since I have worked on a car, but I would like to get back to it. I was looking at Sam's instructions and they seem very detailed. Does anyone know why the pictures do not work?
Glad you found my thread useful. Sorry, the pics were either re-arranged or deleted from my Photobucket. Your going to also need a spring compressor. Air tools will also make the job that much faster and easier.

Originally Posted by m3ryder' post='1085553
Lastly, has anyone heard anything about Nexen tires? They apparently make Lexani branded tires too. I have found multiple deals on them for around $550 for a set in 265/30/22 F and 295/25/22 R.

Sorry for all the questions, but I just want to do this already. I was so excited to have it all done and then people really started to destroy the dream. Is it me or is it still possible to modify a well kept 745i will class?

Thank you so much for reading and any help.

m3ryder
Attachment 96852

Damn, youve got hella questions. I just spent 10 minute of my life reading and thinking of the answers.

Ive sold numerous sets of the Nexen's, in all sizes, and have never gotten any complaints. I currently am running Pirelli's, but will go with the Nexen's the next time I need tires.

Last but not least, you can still modify the 7 and still keep it classy or sporty. Its just a matter of how its done.

If your in Northern California, you could just bring the car here so we could do everything for you.
Old 01-06-2010, 07:12 PM
Members

Thank you Sam!! Your posts here on this forum have really been valuable to me and I really appreciate your comments. I don't know why my questions to people locally have been met with such discouragement. I guess guys like us are a different breed.

I don't have any power tools, but I do have access to a lift that I completely forgot a friend had in his garage. (Tough life huh? The guy buys this huge home in San Diego and in the garage is a lift that he not only does not know how to use, but he also drives a Prius.) So I am going to have to order the H&R springs for my car. Your DIY I hope will get me through it all. What does cutting the non-sport bump stop do by the way? Could I just by sport ones from BMW?

If I were in NorCal I would bring it to you without hesitation. Trust me, as much as I like working on my car I just don't have as much time as I use to. Getting older, got to love it right? I am located too far south in Orange County.

Thank you so much again man. It was really cool of you to take the time to answer all of those questions.

m3yrder

Oh and this forum just seemed so much more open and less "harsh" than many of the others I have read through in the past. Man, some 7 owners are just brutal.
Old 01-06-2010, 07:19 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

+1 For Sam, he does a fantastic job on the 7 ers. Try to either make time to go to see Sam or go see Eurorev on Inglewood. Both VERY reputable shops run by good people. Good Luck and welcome to the forum
Old 01-06-2010, 08:13 PM
Members

Thanks for all of the love fellas. I took an iPhone picture of the wheels a while back. I like them because they are different and not something I have seen on too many e65/e66's. I love the asantis, but they are just everywhere these days and there have been a lot of great rides with them already. Like yours Sam!! So I figured something more unique would be a great start. Thoughts?

H&R Spring Install Questions..-image1.jpg

m3ryder
Old 01-07-2010, 06:18 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Those are very nice wheels, classy and (thankfully) no chrome Anyway, they will look good on your car, but a drop would really make them fill the wheel wells much better. BTW, my car is lowered on H&R's and I like the ride quality. Eventually I will get bilsteins to replace the stock shocks, but in the meantime I am really enjoying my car.
Old 01-07-2010, 09:08 AM
Senior Members

Here is another option for springs besides for H&R and Eibach. They are by BG

http://www.autoanything.com/suspension-sys...2.aspx?kc=ffsku

As for the rims, there going to look clean and unique. Cant wait to see your car done.

Originally Posted by m3ryder' post='1085702' date='Jan 6 2010, 09:13 PM
Thanks for all of the love fellas. I took an iPhone picture of the wheels a while back. I like them because they are different and not something I have seen on too many e65/e66's. I love the asantis, but they are just everywhere these days and there have been a lot of great rides with them already. Like yours Sam!! So I figured something more unique would be a great start. Thoughts?

Attachment 96879

m3ryder
Old 01-07-2010, 09:09 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by m3ryder' post='1085659' date='Jan 6 2010, 08:12 PM
Your DIY I hope will get me through it all. What does cutting the non-sport bump stop do by the way? Could I just by sport ones from BMW?

Thank you so much again man. It was really cool of you to take the time to answer all of those questions.

m3yrder

Oh and this forum just seemed so much more open and less "harsh" than many of the others I have read through in the past. Man, some 7 owners are just brutal.
You can just get the sport bumpstop, or just trim the OEM ones a little. Whatever way, they both do the same thing.

This is by far one of the coolest forums I have found.
Old 01-07-2010, 10:32 AM
Members

B&G? I am surprised that I have never heard of them. They have a 1.4" drop all the way around. It is like a deeper Eibach drop. That is a legitimate consideration! Thank you Sam. I have seen H&R and Eibach on the e65/e66 and always felt that the Eibach was a bit too conservative, so this might be an interesting option.

Everyone is so positive here. It is a trip man, every other forum has this mass amount of haters making harsh comments for no reason.

Anyone have any experience with the Mobridge unit for iPod integration? My car is a MY04 so I can't get the on screen text feature to work, but I figure with a spec.doc like this:

http://stores.homestead.com/2point5/-strse...MPKG/Detail.bok

Do I realy care? Probably not so much.
Old 01-07-2010, 11:18 AM
Senior Members

Sorry, I dont know of anyone that personally has this on the 7. However, arent you going to lose the CD changer by doing this?

Originally Posted by m3ryder' post='1086022' date='Jan 7 2010, 11:32 AM
B&G? I am surprised that I have never heard of them. They have a 1.4" drop all the way around. It is like a deeper Eibach drop. That is a legitimate consideration! Thank you Sam. I have seen H&R and Eibach on the e65/e66 and always felt that the Eibach was a bit too conservative, so this might be an interesting option.

Everyone is so positive here. It is a trip man, every other forum has this mass amount of haters making harsh comments for no reason.

Anyone have any experience with the Mobridge unit for iPod integration? My car is a MY04 so I can't get the on screen text feature to work, but I figure with a spec.doc like this:

http://stores.homestead.com/2point5/-strse...MPKG/Detail.bok

Do I realy care? Probably not so much.

Quick Reply: H&R Spring Install Questions..