6 Series Discussion A place for 6 series coupe, convertible, M6 owners and those curious.

Winter setup

Old 01-07-2010, 10:37 AM
  #1  
Members
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 90
Default

My 6 is loaded with the staggered setup 245/40 - 275/35 and I'm in need of some winter tires. I was wondering, without getting a new setup of 18' rims, can I purchase 265/35R19 all around and just run that without any problems? Will the tires sit properly in the front since I'm going larger and the back will be smaller? I heard staggered is not the way to go for winter setup but if needed, will going smaller in the front hurt?
suppers is offline  
Old 01-08-2010, 05:55 AM
  #2  
Contributors
 
m630's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: NYC & LI
Posts: 2,460
Default

invest in a set of winter rims, you have a rear wheel drive car and lots of power put down and you dont want to be risking taking tires on and off each season change......imho, 18"s are the best and will give you the most options, they dont at all look wierd as the taller tire makes up for the slightly smaller wheels.........35s are way too big for snow tires, way too wide, and snow tires should not be staggered as they reduce control, thus negating the benefits of having them on....245/45 are the suggested sizes from BMW and what i ran on my former 645 and now on my M6 and i have had no problems at all...good luck


Winter setup-img_1834a.jpg

Winter setup-img_1851a.jpg

Winter setup-img_1775.jpg

Winter setup-img_1952x.jpg
m630 is offline  
Old 01-08-2010, 06:11 AM
  #3  
Contributors
 
Howitzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Chicago
Posts: 4,410
Default

I do the opposite of everything you just said! I still have my Michelin Pilot Sport A/S on with 275/30/19's in rear and 245/35/19 in front. Its like skiing with a Bimmer!
Howitzer is offline  
Old 01-08-2010, 07:31 AM
  #4  
Contributors
 
m630's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: NYC & LI
Posts: 2,460
Default

Originally Posted by Howitzer' post='1086576' date='Jan 8 2010, 10:11 AM
I do the opposite of everything you just said! I still have my Michelin Pilot Sport A/S on with 275/30/19's in rear and 245/35/19 in front. Its like skiing with a Bimmer!
well if youre into skiing, no problemo!!!!
m630 is offline  
Old 01-08-2010, 10:56 AM
  #5  
Contributors
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: New York, New York
Posts: 10,301
My Ride: See my signature
Default

Originally Posted by m630' post='1086571' date='Jan 8 2010, 09:55 AM
invest in a set of winter rims, you have a rear wheel drive car and lots of power put down and you dont want to be risking taking tires on and off each season change......imho, 18"s are the best and will give you the most options, they dont at all look wierd as the taller tire makes up for the slightly smaller wheels.........35s are way too big for snow tires, way too wide, and snow tires should not be staggered as they reduce control, thus negating the benefits of having them on....245/45 are the suggested sizes from BMW and what i ran on my former 645 and now on my M6 and i have had no problems at all...good luck
+1. Right on the money.
sdg1871 is offline  
Old 01-08-2010, 11:03 AM
  #6  
Members
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 90
Default

Thanks yah. I'll look into some 18's. My cousins 08' M3 A/S went skiing into a mailbox yesterday! Strictly winter setup!
suppers is offline  
Old 01-08-2010, 11:15 AM
  #7  
Contributors
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: New York, New York
Posts: 10,301
My Ride: See my signature
Default

Originally Posted by suppers' post='1086738' date='Jan 8 2010, 03:03 PM
Thanks yah. I'll look into some 18's. My cousins 08' M3 A/S went skiing into a mailbox yesterday! Strictly winter setup!


A/S tires are somewhat better than max summer performance tires in snow but are no match for dedicated snows in the snow. Dedicated snows are much safer if you're driving in the white stuff.
sdg1871 is offline  
Old 01-11-2010, 10:53 AM
  #8  
Senior Members
 
Doc Horror's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Middelburg, the Netherlands
Posts: 868
My Ride: 2004 645 Ci, Individual Stratusgrey Metallic with individual grey leather Individual Stratos metallic, Shadow line, Black Individual leather, 19'' ellisoid, Panorama sunroof, PDC, Dynamic drive, Adaptive steering, Adaptive headlights, Voice control, Logic 7, Prof sat nav, BT phone, TV, Heated Sport seats, Ski sac, light pakket, CD-changer. Mods (so far): iPod interface, K&N Airfilter.
Default

I fitted wintertyres on my 19" OEM 121 275 rear and 245 front. No problems here. And yes it has been snowing a lot here in Holland.
Doc Horror is offline  
Old 01-11-2010, 11:05 PM
  #9  
Contributors
 
tbal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 4,508
My Ride: See sig :)
Default

winter setup, bahhhhh, rock some 21 22s lol
tbal is offline  
Old 01-11-2010, 11:47 PM
  #10  
Contributors
 
-Mike-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,174
My Ride: 2008 550i sport
Default

Originally Posted by tbal' post='1088792' date='Jan 12 2010, 02:05 AM
winter setup, bahhhhh, rock some 21 22s lol
I wanna know how you get away with 21" 128's as a "winter setup"
-Mike- is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Winter setup


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.