6 Series Discussion A place for 6 series coupe, convertible, M6 owners and those curious.

Valentine 1 issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 07:53 AM
pan
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lately I've been getting an almost constant alert from the front in "K" band with one to two lights of strength. When I say almost constant I mean the alert stays on for a four or five seconds disappears for about a second or two and comes back on. If I put my hand in front of the front antenna the signal alert goes off and then switches to the back. At the same strength.

I've sent the unit back to Valentine and they found no problem. Additionally I've used a different cable and changed the power source to no avail. If I move the detector to below the dash level all signal stop. If I move the detector high up or low down on the windshield it still shows a signal.

I am of the opinion there is something in the car which is emitting some form of "K" band the detector senses. Has anyone else had a similar experience? Have you found a solution?

The suspects I've been able guess at but have nothing definitive is the Active Cruise Control (ACC). However there is no difference in the V1 with it on or off. The satellite radio is supposedly a suspect but if it is I have not yet figured out how to filter or block the signal in the cabin. The last option I can think of is the HUD since it is so close but I can't guess the source of the "K" band emission from this unit.

The car is a 2010 650i with all options with the exception of night vision. The avatar is the actual car. There are no mods to the car and no window tint other than what came standard from the factory.
Old 03-19-2010, 09:14 AM
Senior Members

i play satellite radio (OEM system) all the time with my V1 and haven't had any problems. also my front windshield is completely tinted which hasn't caused any malfunctions either.
Old 03-19-2010, 09:20 AM
Members

First question is how is it wired? Standardly in the power outlet or hardwired?
Old 03-19-2010, 10:44 AM
pan
Members

It is wired with the supplied flat (telephone like) cable routed to the footwell power socket. It is mounted lower down on the windshield with just between and above the instrument cluster and the navigation humps.
Old 03-20-2010, 05:42 PM
Members

Mine is doing the same thing!!! I have not tried to resolve it yet though. Was going to mention it to Valentine when I sent it in for new bulbs in the diurection arrows, but it sounds like they aren't aware of the problem and/or the unit is functioning as designed. I believe the car is emitting the frequency... I've had the car 3 weeks, and the V1 was fine in my old '03 E39, but as soon as I plugged it in the E60, off it went! LMK what you find!
Old 03-20-2010, 05:47 PM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

I think that member Chowbox had a problem like this that he and member Dranged solved. I would do a search to find it.
Old 03-20-2010, 08:04 PM
Members

I have mine mounted above my mirror with the cord V-1 longer cor running to the passenger footwell sockt.

Mine is doing the same thing

Something is emitting a signal.

Unit works fine in other cars
Old 03-21-2010, 07:45 AM
pan
Members

Originally Posted by zhuskers1
I have mine mounted above my mirror with the cord V-1 longer cor running to the passenger footwell sockt.

Mine is doing the same thing

Something is emitting a signal.

Unit works fine in other cars
Do you have ACC (Adaptive Cruise Control)?
Old 03-30-2010, 05:10 PM
Members

Originally Posted by pan
Do you have ACC (Adaptive Cruise Control)?

No - I do not...
Old 03-31-2010, 04:28 PM
pan
Members

When I pulled the fuse (70) for ACC the problem went away.

Quick Reply: Valentine 1 issue