6 Series Discussion A place for 6 series coupe, convertible, M6 owners and those curious.

Sat in a 6 series today.

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2005, 08:40 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am not totally convinced of the need for the temp guage...they put them in the M5 probably because they read this forum

Oil temp guages can be misleading too and give differing results under different conditions...such as:

- oil overfilled
- oil underfilled
- oil needs changing
- oil brand new

all of these factors would affect your avg readings and running temps depending on the condition of oil, how old it is etc etc....all in all i think the white lines on the rev counter do the job for me i know the mpg economy thing is also useless as well though
Old 05-18-2005, 09:11 AM
Contributors

My Ride:

I've never owned a BMW myself, but have ridden in lots and have always wondered about the odd loooking 'econo-meter' and quietly wondered to myself:

<span style='font-size:21pt;line-height:100%'>WHY...?</span>

I'm glad to see you guys think along the same lines..

Regards
Andy - Newport, UK
Old 05-18-2005, 01:28 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 535D Sport Auto

Originally Posted by northernmonkey' date='May 18 2005, 11:40 AM
I am not totally convinced of the need for the temp guage...they put them in the M5 probably because they read this forum?

Oil temp guages can be misleading too and give differing results under different conditions...such as:

- oil overfilled
- oil underfilled
- oil needs changing
- oil brand new

all of these factors would affect your avg readings and running temps depending on the condition of oil, how old it is etc etc....all in all i think the white lines on the rev counter do the job for me i know the mpg economy thing is also useless as well though?
[snapback]130179[/snapback]
NM,

What lines on the rev counter?
Old 05-18-2005, 01:37 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Merv the Derv' date='May 18 2005, 10:28 PM
[quote name='northernmonkey' date='May 18 2005, 11:40 AM']I am not totally convinced of the need for the temp guage...they put them in the M5 probably because they read this forum?

- oil overfilled
- oil underfilled
- oil needs changing
- oil brand new

all of these factors would affect your avg readings and running temps depending on the condition of oil, how old it is etc etc....all in all i think the white lines on the rev counter do the job for me i know the mpg economy thing is also useless as well though?
NM,

[snapback]130315[/snapback]
[/quote]

Merv,
You mean you never noticed the white lines (dahses) around the rev counter near the red zone??? The dashes slowly decrease as the engine warms up.
Old 05-18-2005, 01:39 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: GONE BUT NOT FOGOTTEN : 530d SE Auto : Titanium Grey / Anthracite Leather, Poplar Trim, 18in 123 Style Alloys, Adaptive Bi-Xenons, Business Nav, Hi-Fi Speaker Package, Heated seats, Split-Fold Rear Seats LR DISCO 3 HSE with everything (including 3 kids)

Originally Posted by Merv the Derv' date='May 18 2005, 09:28 PM
[quote name='northernmonkey' date='May 18 2005, 11:40 AM']I am not totally convinced of the need for the temp guage...they put them in the M5 probably because they read this forum?

- oil overfilled
- oil underfilled
- oil needs changing
- oil brand new

NM,

[/quote]

I think NM is referring to the lines on the rev counter that move as the engine warms up. When the Engine is cold you have extra white lines before the red to show the recommended rev limit. As the engine warms these lines slowly disappear thus raising the rev limit. I like this feature.
Old 05-18-2005, 01:52 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Merv the Derv' date='May 18 2005, 09:28 PM

- oil overfilled
- oil underfilled
- oil needs changing
- oil brand new

NM,

[/quote]

the white lines that recede as the engine warms up...you never noticed these? maybe diesels have some other symbol, bails of straw?
Old 05-18-2005, 01:53 PM
Contributors

I think NM is referring to the lines on the rev counter that move as the engine warms up. When the Engine is cold you have extra white lines before the red to show the recommended rev limit. As the engine warms these lines slowly disappear thus raising the rev limit. I like this feature.
[snapback]130324[/snapback]
[/quote]

Never noticed anything before. Just been out to have a look. Do you mean the edge of the rev counter similar to the edge of the speedo where the cruise control bug sits?
Old 05-18-2005, 02:00 PM
ipp
Senior Members

My Ride: 07' 530d - M-Sport - Titanium Silver / Black Dakota leather 08' 120i - M-Sport - Alpine White III / Black Sensatec

Originally Posted by Merv the Derv' date='May 18 2005, 10:53 PM
Never noticed anything before. Just been out to have a look. Do you mean the edge of the rev counter similar to the edge of the speedo where the cruise control bug sits?
[snapback]130330[/snapback]
[/quote]
Yepp, when the engine is cold the red lines comes earlier!! This is ypur second E60....?
Old 05-18-2005, 02:01 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Merv the Derv' date='May 18 2005, 09:53 PM
[/quote]

did u put the keys in the ignition and start the car? basically on the rev counter nr the limit is a red block indicating start of red line...keep your eye on that....once you have the key in position 2 or start it you should see some white bars appear, these bars reduce in number as the engine warms up.
Old 05-18-2005, 02:04 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by ipp' date='May 18 2005, 05:00 PM
[quote name='Merv the Derv' date='May 18 2005, 10:53 PM']
[/quote]
Yepp, when the engine is cold the red lines comes earlier!! This is ypur second E60....?
[snapback]130331[/snapback]
[/quote]

What an utter Fu*k wit I am. I don't remember ever reading this in the handbook and have never heard it mentioned in this forum. Shall look forward to next drive.
Thanks for pointing it out everyone.

Quick Reply: Sat in a 6 series today.