6 Series Discussion A place for 6 series coupe, convertible, M6 owners and those curious.

Glass Problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2008, 04:38 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: My 1st was an '06 530xi, Titanium Silver w/ gray dakota leather, sport pkg. & Nav. Now my 2nd is an '08 650i CP, Space Gray, Blk Dakota, Sprt. Auto, HUD, Sprt. Pkg., Prem. Sound, High Beam Ast. & Comfort Access

Before I took delivery I noticed what appeared to be dried water drop stains on the windshield, rear window and to a lesser extent the side glass. I pointed this out to my sales rep. who advised that they would be removed during prep. When I got the car it looked good.

The next morning (7 a.m. I could not wait) I washed the car, dried the car, including the windshield and they were back! It is like a film that covers the entire surface. They can be seen depending on the angle of the light, even after cleaning the glass. I called the sales rep and he wants me to bring it back but suggested I put a coat of wax on the glass, which I refuse to do. Has anyone had a similar problem? I have used several different glass cleaners to no avail. I also tried a little alcohol on an inconspicuous area and that did not do anything.

I know this, it is very frustrating because I hate looking through a dirty windshield.
Old 08-23-2008, 10:18 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by my1stbeemer' post='653014' date='Aug 23 2008, 08:38 PM
Before I took delivery I noticed what appeared to be dried water drop stains on the windshield, rear window and to a lesser extent the side glass. I pointed this out to my sales rep. who advised that they would be removed during prep. When I got the car it looked good.

The next morning (7 a.m. I could not wait) I washed the car, dried the car, including the windshield and they were back! It is like a film that covers the entire surface. They can be seen depending on the angle of the light, even after cleaning the glass. I called the sales rep and he wants me to bring it back but suggested I put a coat of wax on the glass, which I refuse to do. Has anyone had a similar problem? I have used several different glass cleaners to no avail. I also tried a little alcohol on an inconspicuous area and that did not do anything.

I know this, it is very frustrating because I hate looking through a dirty windshield.
Had the same issue on the windshield.. it's on the inside right? after using every possible thing imaginable i just decided to use my bare and and try to wipe it off at one point and sure enough, it rubbed off lol then some windex and you're set.
Old 08-24-2008, 05:43 AM
Members

My Ride: My 1st was an '06 530xi, Titanium Silver w/ gray dakota leather, sport pkg. & Nav. Now my 2nd is an '08 650i CP, Space Gray, Blk Dakota, Sprt. Auto, HUD, Sprt. Pkg., Prem. Sound, High Beam Ast. & Comfort Access

Originally Posted by schulrog' post='653161' date='Aug 24 2008, 02:18 AM
Had the same issue on the windshield.. it's on the inside right? after using every possible thing imaginable i just decided to use my bare and and try to wipe it off at one point and sure enough, it rubbed off lol then some windex and you're set.

No it is definitely on the outside. When you spray the car with water, instead of it sheeting off it beads up like there is wax on it. And if that was the case many of the chemicals I tried would have taken it off. My concern is that it there was something left on the glass that etched it. My sales adviser told me that the factory sprays the cars with a chemical to protect them when being shipped over. Then at the port they use another chemical to take it off and this is left over residue.

I have a feeling that a new windshield is in my future. Thanks for the reply though.
Old 08-24-2008, 10:12 AM
Contributors

sounds like rain-x... get some rain-ex and apply it. that should smoothen it out all across the windshield
Old 09-04-2008, 01:53 PM
Members

Well here is the end of the story on the glass problem. I called my sales rep who spoke to their "head" detailer. He said that all I had to do was put a thin coat of wax on the glass and the problem would be solved. Well, I wasn't born yesterday and I know wax on glass just leads to problems down the road. I was not going there. They then asked me to bring the car back in and they would use a chemical to remove the film/spots. I arrived and explained the issue. The man took it for about an hour (also managed to lock the keys in the car, so everyone with comfort access know that it CAN be done if you try hard enough) and returned saying it was done. I told him that all I needed to do was spray a little windex on and I would know. When I did the problem was still there. He then said claying the windshield would take care of it. In the meantime the rep said he thought this situation was normal. I took him into his showroom and demostrated on a car there. Amazing, no spots, the window was as clear as... glass. Detailer got back with the car, we tried again and the spots remained. He gave up at this point and said that the glass was normal.

Being a person who refuses to give in, I came home and got on the net. I know a lot of members here swear by Zaino, so I looked and they have a glass polish/cleaner. A testimonial from a customer seemed to describe the exact problem I was having and he swore by Zaino's product. I ordered it, it arrived today and I tried it. BAAM... it worked like a charm. So if you have any glass issues I would recommend this product.
Old 09-04-2008, 02:10 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

Originally Posted by my1stbeemer' post='662053' date='Sep 4 2008, 02:53 PM
Well here is the end of the story on the glass problem. I called my sales rep who spoke to their "head" detailer. He said that all I had to do was put a thin coat of wax on the glass and the problem would be solved. Well, I wasn't born yesterday and I know wax on glass just leads to problems down the road. I was not going there. They then asked me to bring the car back in and they would use a chemical to remove the film/spots. I arrived and explained the issue. The man took it for about an hour (also managed to lock the keys in the car, so everyone with comfort access know that it CAN be done if you try hard enough) and returned saying it was done. I told him that all I needed to do was spray a little windex on and I would know. When I did the problem was still there. He then said claying the windshield would take care of it. In the meantime the rep said he thought this situation was normal. I took him into his showroom and demonstrated on a car there. Amazing, no spots, the window was as clear as... glass. Detailer got back with the car, we tried again and the spots remained. He gave up at this point and said that the glass was normal.

Being a person who refuses to give in, I came home and got on the net. I know a lot of members here swear by Zaino, so I looked and they have a glass polish/cleaner. A testimonial from a customer seemed to describe the exact problem I was having and he swore by Zaino's product. I ordered it, it arrived today and I tried it. BAAM... it worked like a charm. So if you have any glass issues I would recommend this product.
Glad to hear it all turned out so well! Personally, I would have broken out a razor blade and worked the mineral deposits off that way!