E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Water Leak into rear passenger seat area

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2017, 03:20 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water Leak into rear passenger seat area

Hello-

There have been some older threads on this issue and I've read through them. But just wanted to describe my issue to see if any new information is available. Recently when it rains water collects under the rear passenger bench seat. There is no water in the trunk or back feet areas. It is only collecting under the rear passenger seat. There have been posts suggesting water is entering from the doors, but that does not seem possible. The bottom of the doors is below the area where the water is collecting. The seals around the rear window are intact with no cracking. Other posts have noted that the drains in the sunroof go down the C pillars and outlet in the rear tire wells. Is that correct? How do you remove the cover on the C pillars to expose the drains? There is no sign of water on the C pillar covers. How does water in those drains get into the area under the back seat??

The attached BMW TSB refers to a sunroof "cassette". What is that?

Thanks,

Okii
Old 01-19-2017, 04:00 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: BMW 550I BLK
Model Year: 2007
Engine: N62
Default Same issue

Originally Posted by okii
Hello-

There have been some older threads on this issue and I've read through them. But just wanted to describe my issue to see if any new information is available. Recently when it rains water collects under the rear passenger bench seat. There is no water in the trunk or back feet areas. It is only collecting under the rear passenger seat. There have been posts suggesting water is entering from the doors, but that does not seem possible. The bottom of the doors is below the area where the water is collecting. The seals around the rear window are intact with no cracking. Other posts have noted that the drains in the sunroof go down the C pillars and outlet in the rear tire wells. Is that correct? How do you remove the cover on the C pillars to expose the drains? There is no sign of water on the C pillar covers. How does water in those drains get into the area under the back seat??

Thanks,

Okii
I have the same problem in my 07 550i. But mine is on the rear drivers side. So I'll be waiting to hear the remedies alao
Old 01-20-2017, 07:09 AM
Members

Hello-

Mine appears to be on both rear sides. There car body has two depressions to allow for additional foam padding under the rear seat. Both of those depressions had collected water. The fabric on the C pillars and roof liner show no sign of moisture.
Old 01-23-2017, 11:15 AM
New Members

My Ride: 525i
Model Year: 2004

Originally Posted by okii
Other posts have noted that the drains in the sunroof go down the C pillars and outlet in the rear tire wells. Is that correct? How do you remove the cover on the C pillars to expose the drains? There is no sign of water on the C pillar covers. How does water in those drains get into the area under the back seat??

Yes, the sunroof drains down the c pillar and out the rear wheel well. I was getting water under my seat and the driver side carpet. So there wasn't one silver bullet for me but you definitely want to check the sunroof drains. Usually the end cloggs in the wheel well. I think I just pried that panel back on the computer pillar just to take a peek, didn't see anything out of the ordinary (not that I really would've recognized it) and then cleaned out the sunroof drain and blew some air through it to help it along in case there was stuff in the line. Good luck.
Old 01-27-2017, 02:29 PM
Members

My Ride: 2010 BMW 550i M Sport. GPS, Satallite, Active suspension, Silver over Black in color with beige. 68k on the clock. My 10th BMW in forty years.
Model Year: 2010
Engine: 550 Msport

I had a similar problem with water. One afternoon while driving with the audio off. I became aware that I could hear wind noise coming from what seemed like the overhead. As it turned out, the surround for the sunroof was compressed over time by the sliding roof. If the car sits in the weather for a period of time with the roof closed water gets in the roof area.
Purchased an upgrade surround seal. It took about 1.5 hours to peel the old seal off then apply the new.

Worked for me.
Old 02-05-2017, 09:02 AM
Members

Default Water under rear seat

I removed the rear wheel well liners to expose the fitting at the end of the rear sunroof drain hoses. There was some, but not a lot, of sludge. I cleaned the fittings and trimmed the end as suggested by others. I tried to insert some string trimmer wire up the hose but it did not go very far. Used a straw to blow air into opening. I removed the C pillar covering but that did not expose the drain pipe. I think I need to remove or pull down the headliner to expose where the drain pipes connect to the sunroof. Is that correct? If so, how do you detach the headliner to do that?
Old 02-05-2017, 05:06 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 530I
Model Year: 530i

I have a 2006 530i and facing the same problem. It is soaking wet under the back seats. The rear and front floor mats are wet also. How is it possible for the this to happen? Share what you have discovered and how you fixed the problem, please?

Here are a couple links I found:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJzB...g&index=2&t=6s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnUZ...p7xjTg&index=1
Old 02-05-2017, 05:25 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
My Ride: e60 530i e21 320i
Model Year: 2005 1981
Engine: M54 M10

The drains are to handle excess water that makes it past the sunroof seal. Seems the sunroof seal needs to be replaced to cut the water from getting in to begin with. Seal from dealer is less than $40.
Allow about 1-1/2 hrs to install a new seal. Hardest part of the job is getting the old adhesive of the sunroof perimeter.
Old 02-05-2017, 05:43 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 530I
Model Year: 530i

Weather strip for moonroof ((part #54-10-7-245-551) ordered.

Thanks!

Originally Posted by jtbgonesailing
The drains are to handle excess water that makes it past the sunroof seal. Seems the sunroof seal needs to be replaced to cut the water from getting in to begin with. Seal from dealer is less than $40.
Allow about 1-1/2 hrs to install a new seal. Hardest part of the job is getting the old adhesive of the sunroof perimeter.

Last edited by E60I; 02-05-2017 at 06:10 PM.
Old 02-06-2017, 02:01 PM
Members

My Ride: 2010 BMW 550i M Sport. GPS, Satallite, Active suspension, Silver over Black in color with beige. 68k on the clock. My 10th BMW in forty years.
Model Year: 2010
Engine: 550 Msport

Water in the areas you indicated come from an area you might not think of. Raise the hood, remove the covers for the cabin air filters. on the fender side of the filter areas is a drain.
They usually get stuffed for leaves and crap. That causes the filter area to fill with water which then runs into the car through the vents into the car.

I don't know what model the car is but it is critical to get the sub mats out of the car and rescue some very expensive electronics under the floor covering on the front passenger side.

GOOD LUCK

Quick Reply: Water Leak into rear passenger seat area