E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Service intervals - a racket for dealers?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 10:28 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Silver grey '06 535d M-Sport Touring, visibility pack, media pack, hi-gloss, heated leather, sun-pro glass Red Alert: 3500hp triple-turbo, alcohol-fuelled Case-IH

Is it just me, or does anyone else think the servicing system is never ending? My '06 model 535d is now shouting 'take me to the dealer to get my brake fluid changed' and it's not even two years old (20mths). I thought brake fluid was a two-yearly thing? - though I've never yet met anyone who's had it done by the book. It seems like only yesterday (though it was in fact October) when my car had its first oil service. And some on-going warranty issues meant a few more trips to the service bay in the run up to xmas.
And now the damn thing wants a fluid change by the end of Jan '08. Then, delving a little deeper into the i-Distract system reveals that in just 7000 more miles, it will be suggesting it wants a pollen filter (a 10 min change-it-myself-item), then 2000 miles further it suggests another 'oil change' and another 3000 on from that, it suggests 'change front brake pads'. Call me a cynic, but this seems little more than another excuse for the dealer to get my trolleys down and relieve me of yet more money with ever-shortening intervals.
I'm not impressed. What ever happened to proper service intervals - like 12,000, 18,000 or 20,000? My old E-class Merc was straight-forward in its servicing requirements and ran to around 19-20k for each visit - this damn thing seems like it needs constant attention by the dealer. I'm not a low-mileage driver and can do anything up to 3000 miles per month, depending on my workload and it helps to keep them off the 5 where I have other cars to road test for usually two weeks in every month.
Can the system be reset or amended without the need to visit the dealer? This is spoiling my enjoyment of an otherwise fantastic (it's not perfect) motor. Any advice will be gratefully digested........ Beginning to wish I'd opted for an A6 with fixed servicing.....okay, maybe not.
Old 01-27-2008, 08:10 PM
Members

Welcome to the world of iDrive and computer-driven service intervals.

Here's the good news. My experience is that if you are within 1,000 miles of the indicated service, your dealer can get clearance to perform it.

Further, items like the cabin filter don't have to be changed as soon as the light indicates. My service writer says that some people just leave it on, which doesn't make sense to me.

If it's safety related, I would bring it in when indicated.

It is a pain, though.

I have a 745 as well, so I have two cars telling me what to do.

But they are great autos, aren't they?
Old 01-28-2008, 09:32 AM
Members

My Ride: Silver grey '06 535d M-Sport Touring, visibility pack, media pack, hi-gloss, heated leather, sun-pro glass Red Alert: 3500hp triple-turbo, alcohol-fuelled Case-IH

Yes, I agree with the safety-based stuff, but not the other auto-cash register regime.....
Love my auto - its silky smooth, and has loads of grunt. And now I've fitted 19 inch 172s to replace the 18s (which means the run-flats are banished to the back of the garage), added an aux lead to play my ipod through the hi-fi and fitted a proper hands-free nokia car-phone kit (the bluetooth echoed constantly and was, IMO, poor quality), it's just about how I wanted it.
Old 01-28-2008, 09:55 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Originally Posted by Geoff A' post='523477' date='Jan 27 2008, 02:28 PM
Is it just me, or does anyone else think the servicing system is never ending? My '06 model 535d is now shouting 'take me to the dealer to get my brake fluid changed' and it's not even two years old (20mths). I thought brake fluid was a two-yearly thing? - though I've never yet met anyone who's had it done by the book. It seems like only yesterday (though it was in fact October) when my car had its first oil service. And some on-going warranty issues meant a few more trips to the service bay in the run up to xmas.
And now the damn thing wants a fluid change by the end of Jan '08. Then, delving a little deeper into the i-Distract system reveals that in just 7000 more miles, it will be suggesting it wants a pollen filter (a 10 min change-it-myself-item), then 2000 miles further it suggests another 'oil change' and another 3000 on from that, it suggests 'change front brake pads'. Call me a cynic, but this seems little more than another excuse for the dealer to get my trolleys down and relieve me of yet more money with ever-shortening intervals.
I'm not impressed. What ever happened to proper service intervals - like 12,000, 18,000 or 20,000? My old E-class Merc was straight-forward in its servicing requirements and ran to around 19-20k for each visit - this damn thing seems like it needs constant attention by the dealer. I'm not a low-mileage driver and can do anything up to 3000 miles per month, depending on my workload and it helps to keep them off the 5 where I have other cars to road test for usually two weeks in every month.
Can the system be reset or amended without the need to visit the dealer? This is spoiling my enjoyment of an otherwise fantastic (it's not perfect) motor. Any advice will be gratefully digested........ Beginning to wish I'd opted for an A6 with fixed servicing.....okay, maybe not.
Actually I think you will find that many independant BMW mechanics think the current schedule is too INFREQUENT or inadequate in several areas. Approximately 15,000 between oil changes (7-10K preferred), ONLY 2 year brake fluid changes (annual preferred), lifetime tranny and differential fills (minimum 100k preferred), etc. Brakes are based on how you use them. Me, 58k miles on odo and 20k miles to go on fronts - rears 30k to go per CBS. Maybe you are harder on brakes and that is why 20 months on fluid and fewer miles on pads. I would follow BMW CBS on brake related items unless I forced them earlier, not later. Filters (air, cabin, etc) I would just do them at the nearest point to a more urgent requirement and not a separate trip and that appears to be the thought process of my SA stretching out less urgent items at his recommendation.
Old 01-28-2008, 11:40 PM
Members

Thanks for your thoughts - found out the car was built in Jan '06, hence the two year call up on fluid, even though it wasn't registered until May. Pad life is ok, as the car has done 25k and they'll run out to 35-40k I reckon - we have more corners over here, so I do use them to slow down here and there.
As for independents wanting shorter intervals, I can see why - it's all about business. There's no reason why longer intervals cannot be applied, its just that many motorists are not too mechanically minded, so unless they visit a dealer, their cars are never kept in top order. As for lifetime tranny and diffs, that's good progress and the technology in oil and filtration is already there - many heavy trucks run 500k on rear end and tranny oil changes, and 100k on engine oil - they use centrifuges to spin the crap and contaminants out of the oil to keep them cleaner, for longer. Truck operators wouldn't stand the downtime of frequent dealer visits that us car drivers have to tolerate.
Anyway, we're getting away from my original question - does anyone know how to reset the system without visiting a dealer? Its flashing red for a fluid change and I'd rather wait till it needs to go in for something more important and combine the two?
Old 02-08-2008, 11:47 PM
Members

My Ride: E61 530DA, 05/04

Hello,

In Switzerland, services until 100 000 KM or ten years are free of charge. You have to pay only the fluids oil. With that, BMW cars are one of the least expensive per Km