E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Replace air springs for self levelling suspension

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2014, 04:48 AM
Members

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 530D Touring MSport Navi professional, HUD, bicolour leather sport seats, BT integrated, automatic transmission, panorama roof.
Model Year: 2006
Default Replace air springs for self levelling suspension DIY

This is a DIY for replacing the air springs on a bmw E61 touring with the self levelling suspension(they all have this). EDIT: I used dropbox before and the pictures went missing when they dropped the old linking system they had. I have added the photos again now.

I have also seen that people change their air suspension for traditional spring systems. Although it has it weaknesses, I cannot believe why anyone would do that. Here is a guide for changing the air springs. Changing the compressor and valves is a much simpler job from a DIY point of view. The comfort this system provides is reason enough to go for a touring instead of a sedan.

Well, enough ranting, lets go to work:

1. Jack the car up and put it on stands
2. Remove the fuses for the self levelling suspension. Number 52 and 81 in the luggage compartment

Then release the cover for the air compressor underneath the right rear quarter panel just behind the right rear wheel.

It is held in place by four plastic nuts and three screws, two of the screws are in the wheel well.

Release the blue and red pipe from the compressor valve with a 10 mm spanner. You can see them in the next two pictures. The holes for the two screws in the wheel well can be seen in the lower picture

Grab hold of the old air spring and lift it straight up so that it leaves the retainer, and then push it inwards like in the picture.

Grab the spring and turn it counter-clockwise about 20 degrees until it stops, then pull it down and inwards like in the picture. then pull of the protection and rubber gasket.

Loosen the pipe with a 10m spanner and let it rest on the side.

Attach the pipe to the new air spring and do not tighten to hard. Remember when you loosened it, it wasnt to hard to do. Put on the rubber protection and gasket again and be careful not to pinch the pipe, there is a groove in which to place it. When attaching the spring, try to align it with the hole on the top first, you can feel it with your fingers. Push the spring up into the hole, turn it clockwise about 20 degrees again and you can feel that it is attached. Just lift the new air spring onto the lower retainer afterwards.

Do the other side in the same manner

NB!!!!

Before you lower your car remember to

1. Attach the red and blue pipe on the compressor valve and put on the cover.
2. Insert the fuses for the air compressor
3. turn on the ignition

When lowering the car be careful not to slam it to the ground. Use the jack to control the movement and let the air spring fill so that the car can rest by its own before you let the jack go.

Last edited by 02dag; 06-11-2018 at 04:23 AM. Reason: Missing pictures
The following 2 users liked this post by 02dag:
dstiteler (08-25-2021), wkloppen (02-06-2022)
Old 08-08-2014, 07:04 AM
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's a good write up, good job!
Old 08-11-2014, 05:12 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2007 530XiT BSM/Auburn
Model Year: 2007

That's crazily simple! Thanks for the write-up!!

-r
Old 11-03-2016, 09:24 AM
New Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just registered so I could post a message of thanks to O2dag.

I was finding the pump was buzzing sometimes and one side was regularly lower as if there was a slow puncture in the air spring. Time to replace them.

The guide above works just as described. It's not a hard job, I'm a repair novice with a practical streak so the step-by-step guide helps and just saved me a chunk of money.

The only thing I'd add is that after twisting the two new air springs into position I found the bottom end did not sit on the lower retainer, it was hanging in the air just above it.

This helped :
- with the airlines open, ie unscrewed to the pump, try to pull the air suspension down into position as much as possible as this will help pull some air into it. Screw the airline onto the pump
- lower the jack very gently and stop the exact moment the back wheels make contact with the ground
- look to see if the spring(s) is seated over the lower retainer. If not try to guide the female part of the spring over the male cleat
- lower the car further by a few millimetres and check both it's aligned and seated
- once the spring is seated keep lowering the jack (ensure fuses are back in and the ignition is on) and if all is well eventually the pump will start and lift the car up

Job done.

One more suggestion for anyone with the pump cover removed is to check the electrical cabling. I found mine had been rubbing on the cover. There were dirt and gravel in there and slowly the cables were fraying. Having cleaned it all out I wrapped the cables with electrical tape to reinforce them and prevent the wiring from being worn down.

Last edited by Alpine; 11-28-2016 at 12:44 AM. Reason: typos, to make clearer
Old 11-08-2016, 10:14 AM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 535xi touring
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54

Thank you for this write up! It will be handy when I have to do this.