E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

new (to me) e61 M-Sport

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2016, 06:09 PM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 1985 M635, 2010 e61
Model Year: 1985

pocholin,

Thanks for the link. I knew it was an app or software, just having fun. It looks like you can do some interesting things with this. May I ask how you connect your phone to your car? The bluetooth adaptor?

I am also interested in the SAT (Sport Auto Trans) mod. I assume this app won't help me there. To do that do I need some kind of software, laptop and cable? If so, does that software do the same things as this Carly app?

Now I see the wheel type listed below your picture. Sorry, a bit blind apparently. I don't blame you on the decision to stay with 17". More compliant as you said, and less expensive I would assume for new tires.

What does "retro style turn signals (E39) mean? Did you change the turn signal stalk out or something?

Also, what is an AFE TBS and MHD Stage 1 map?

Yellowjacket,

On a similar note, what does all this stuff mean?:
FDL Coded | SAT Retrofit w GKE flash | ER FMIC | BMS DCI

Thanks as always for the help! It's a lot of fun learning a new car and this one certainly has alot to learn about compared to my older rides.

Eric

Last edited by ericono; 02-10-2016 at 06:15 PM.
Old 02-10-2016, 07:26 PM
New Members

My Ride: e61 / KW V3 / JB4 / M5 Rear Sway / FDL Coded / SAT Retrofit w GKE flash / ER FMIC / BMS DCI
Model Year: 2010
Engine: N54

Eric,

FDL Coded = the custom coding pocholin was mentioning. I use NCS Expert and NCS dummy, Windows-based tools, along with a USB-to-OBD CAN cable to do my coding, because they tend to offer the most control over options.

SAT Retrofit with GKE flash = Sport automatic hardware retrofitted into my wagon and the firmware flash applied to the GKE module (transmission computer essentially). To do this, you need WinKFP for the flash. Both SAT flash/retrofit threads are near the top of the e60 forum right now, so they should be easy to find

ER FMIC = Evolution Racewerks Front Mount Intercooler. I think it's the only one made to fit the 535 natively, but there may be more. It's much larger than the stock intercooler, resulting in both better flow and less heat soak in warm conditions. Even though it's been cold here, I feel as if I can notice the improved airflow resulting in faster turbo spool and faster response.

BMS DCI = Burger Motorsports Dual Cone Intake. There is a lot of debate about performance gains (or losses) with this setup, but I just love to hear the turbo spool! It's even louder now with the all-metal piping I installed with the FMIC.
Old 02-11-2016, 05:39 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2010, E61, 535i xDrive

Originally Posted by ericono
pocholin,

Thanks for the link. I knew it was an app or software, just having fun. It looks like you can do some interesting things with this. May I ask how you connect your phone to your car? The bluetooth adaptor?

I am also interested in the SAT (Sport Auto Trans) mod. I assume this app won't help me there. To do that do I need some kind of software, laptop and cable? If so, does that software do the same things as this Carly app?

Now I see the wheel type listed below your picture. Sorry, a bit blind apparently. I don't blame you on the decision to stay with 17". More compliant as you said, and less expensive I would assume for new tires.

What does "retro style turn signals (E39) mean? Did you change the turn signal stalk out or something?

Also, what is an AFE TBS and MHD Stage 1 map?

Eric
On the same link you'll find the adapter options for connecting to your car, bluetooth or wired. This is the simplest way to do some coding in our cars. The one Yellowjacket uses, you have to install 3 pieces of software in your laptop and get a d-cam cable, a lot more elaborates...but a lot more options to code. i went for the simplest option, even if limited.

If you look closer at the picture, the side turn signals are not the stock ones, I bought the previous generation (e39) turn signals but with LEDs.

AFE is the brand name of the Throttle Body Spacer I put. MHD is the software I put to make the car go faster and they have different maps depending on which modifications you have in your car, I only have DCI, so I have to stay with map 1, as I add down pipes and charge pipe and larger intercooler I can go to Map 2.

I don't think the SAT will help on your car because it is a 2010, you have Sports Mode (SM), so when you put your car in SM it automatically does that...I think.

Hope this helps.
Old 02-11-2016, 07:05 PM
New Members

My Ride: e61 / KW V3 / JB4 / M5 Rear Sway / FDL Coded / SAT Retrofit w GKE flash / ER FMIC / BMS DCI
Engine: N54

Originally Posted by pocholin

I don't think the SAT will help on your car because it is a 2010, you have Sports Mode (SM), so when you put your car in SM it automatically does that...I think.

Hope this helps.
What exactly are you referring to as Sport Mode on the 2010?
Old 02-11-2016, 07:33 PM
New Members

Thanks for the break down explanations guys. I am gaining knowledge little by little. I appreciate your patience.

I have the same question as Yellowjacket. I don't think I have Sport Mode. I don't have any "Sport" button by the tranny shifter and don't think my tranny, steering wheel loading or anything else is different from a non M-sport 2010 535xi. I think the sedans came with the Sport Mode option, but in their infinite wisdom, BMW decided touring drivers didn't want, or need, this. I would like to correct their mistake.

Thanks again!

Eric
Old 02-12-2016, 03:23 AM
Members

My Ride: 2007 530XiT BSM/Auburn
Model Year: 2007

My 07 530 has a sport mode...you slide the gear selector towards you and then it changes the throttle and transmission response to be substantially sportier. Plus you can then move the gear selector forward or back to shift through the gears. So there's not a way to do that on the 08+ models?

-r
Old 02-12-2016, 03:47 AM
New Members

Ah, yes, I can slide the selector towards me, and then manually shift gears, but I didn't notice any other changes to the tranny, steering or anything else.

Eric
Old 02-12-2016, 04:21 AM
Members

My Ride: 2007 530XiT BSM/Auburn
Model Year: 2007

No...the steering stays the same in our cars but it will definitely hold the gear longer and at least for the 07 it does change the throttle response. That being said, if you want an instant change in throttle response from a simple plug-n-play device for $250, get a pedalbox. Pedalbox.com

-r
Old 02-12-2016, 04:44 AM
Former Vendor

My Ride: 1997 BMW M3 Black

Welcome Eric! Great looking wagon to add to what looks like an excellent line up of BMWs in your family.
Old 02-12-2016, 06:14 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2010, E61, 535i xDrive

Originally Posted by GTYellowJacket
What exactly are you referring to as Sport Mode on the 2010?
As mentioned by others, I was referring to the "DS" mode when you shift your gear selector to the left.

Quick Reply: new (to me) e61 M-Sport