E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Anybody konw how to access to E61 Diversity Antenna ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2010, 11:20 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by msevestre
Hi !

Apointmnet planned next Tuesday. BMW Premium Selection second hand warranty excludes corrosion/oxydation but I got a deal with the garage responsible and he will procure to warranty a feedback telling that I lost my remote control, without speaking about corrosion (other wise they will reject the warranty support).

News next week.

Matt
No news?
Old 10-03-2010, 11:12 PM
Members

Hello

I forgot to give feedback : the diversity antenna was replaced and everything is in order. They also added the foam pads that are part of the "upgrade" related to this known problem of diversity antenna corrosion.

And finally the garage responsible managed to have everythink handled by the BMW premium selection warranty... His report on papers was a loss of remote control because of a damaged receiver... no information at all related to corrosion.

Matt
Old 07-19-2012, 01:27 AM
New Members

I was having problems with both keys which would only work when close to the back window of my e61.
Bmw charged £90 for a diagnostic on the issue and then told me corrosion was the problem and a replacement diversity module was required at a cost of £286 fitted.
After reading this forum i removed the module and there was a small amount of corrosion on one corner (bottom right of picture) which i cleaned using some spray furniture polish and an old toothbrush very carefully. When it was refitted everything worked as it should again so my advise is that it is worth trying this first if you have no warranty.
The whole job only took around 20 minuits to complete.
Hope this helps someone
Attached Thumbnails Anybody konw how to access to E61 Diversity Antenna ?-diversity-module.png  
Old 08-19-2012, 08:01 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 525d M-sport,19" staggered style 95 wheels,custom quad exhaust with modified reiger rear bumper insert,LCI front and rear lights,stage 2 custom remap, DPF removed, cat removed

Mines started doing this now
Is the unit the same as another model?
And does the car/keys need recoding after changing it?
Old 11-13-2014, 12:05 AM
New Members

My Ride: E61

Originally Posted by Bimmerstyle
It's really easy to do this.

Open the rear window (only the window, not the entire trunk)
You see 4 plastic covers on the inside at the top of the window, remove them with a small screwdriver or a knife
Now you see underneed each cover a torx screw, remove all 4 of them
Now you can slide the spoiler downwards and it will come off. Be carefull not to harm the flatcables attached to it.
Underneath the spoiler you will see a black plastic box where the flatcables run into, this is the housing of the antenna amplifier
Open this housing by pulling the top lid off
Now you can remove the flatcables from the antenna amplifier, remove the other wires and water hose from the spoiler and put the spoiler aside
The white plastic box is the antenna amplifier. It's bolted to the car with 2 screws in the middle, remove them and remove the box

Now you can open the box and check for corrosion.

Should be 10 minutes or less work. Good luck!

Many thanks for this excellent guide.
Neither of my remote locking keys worked and all stored data (seat position, button programming etc) was not available. Followed the guide, removed the PCB, dried it in a low temperature oven (60 deg C) for 15 mins, dried out the boxes, reassembled and all now working.
My problem was probably exacerbated by the fact that the rear screen wash pipe had become detached and so was pumping water over the PCB housing . Now fixed as well.

Thanks again
(2009 reg 520 touring)
Old 11-13-2014, 07:33 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2010 535 xi - M Sport Pkg & other goodies

Did you pay attention while you were at it if you have the foam spacers installed? They're supposed to reduce water entry. If you're not sure what I'm talking about, search the forums, there's a tech bulletin on it.
Old 11-17-2014, 12:06 AM
New Members

My Ride: E61

Originally Posted by Lotus99
Did you pay attention while you were at it if you have the foam spacers installed? They're supposed to reduce water entry. If you're not sure what I'm talking about, search the forums, there's a tech bulletin on it.
Thanks for the tip. I hadn't picked up on the foam spacer discussion, however my car is post 2008 (it's 2009) and is fitted with the revised diversity antennae module.
My cause was not helped by the rear screen wash pipe having become detached and was spraying water onto the module

Now fixed and fingers crossed.