E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Satellite retrofit MOST question.

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2016, 09:16 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I drove my car for the first time today since installation and I'm a little worried. When we left the house I put it on SAT and at the bottom the screen says "acquiring". Drove for 2 hours and it never changed. Wondering if driving made it not able to get a good fix on any satellites. 2 lane wooded road for most of the trip.
Old 08-13-2016, 02:56 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

Originally Posted by locomotiveBart
. Wondering if driving made it not able to get a good fix on any satellites.
very possible. again, I literally had to have the car sitting still in an open parking lot for over 20 minutes to acquire an initial signal. Once it did, It's been fine ever since.

Now that I think back to it, I remember not being able to get the car to acquire a signal the first day I had it in. Day 2 is when it sprang to life.

you also may need to have SIRIUS send a refresh signal to the car. If I remember correctly you can log on to your account and request a refresh signal online.
Old 08-13-2016, 05:09 PM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by KyleB
very possible. again, I literally had to have the car sitting still in an open parking lot for over 20 minutes to acquire an initial signal. Once it did, It's been fine ever since.

Now that I think back to it, I remember not being able to get the car to acquire a signal the first day I had it in. Day 2 is when it sprang to life.

you also may need to have SIRIUS send a refresh signal to the car. If I remember correctly you can log on to your account and request a refresh signal online.
We ran all day (200 miles) and the only time the car sat still was when it was shut off. Your story gives me hope though. I haven't called to get a subscription yet because I would like to see it connect and throw the 800 number at me before I commit. Thanks for your help on this. Nav parts should be here Wednesday so I'll start that project soon.
Old 08-13-2016, 05:12 PM
Members
Senior Members

We ran all day (200 miles) and the only time the car sat still was when it was shut off. Your story gives me hope though. I haven't called to get a subscription yet because I would like to see it connect and throw the 800 number at me before I commit. Thanks for your help on this. Nav parts should be here Wednesday so I'll start that project soon.
If you don't have a subscription maybe you could call SIRIUS, give them your ESN, and ask them to send a refresh signal.
Old 08-13-2016, 05:16 PM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by KyleB
If you don't have a subscription maybe you could call SIRIUS, give them your ESN, and ask them to send a refresh signal.
That's the thing, I don't have an ESN yet. The sat screen just says "acquiring" at the bottom.
Old 08-14-2016, 05:18 AM
Members
Senior Members

That's the thing, I don't have an ESN yet. The sat screen just says "acquiring" at the bottom.
Are you sure you have the correct module in the car? There were about 4 or 5 that were produced during the E60 lifecycle, i have no idea if they are interchangeable. I'd double check your connections at the module too.
Old 08-14-2016, 05:26 AM
Members
Senior Members

According to realoem the one I have is correct. If I disconnect it, sat becomes greyed out in idrive so I know it's at least communicating with the car. When plugged in, sat becomes available, the little Sirius dog icon is there, and the bottom of the screen says "acquiring".
Old 08-14-2016, 05:35 AM
Members
Senior Members

According to realoem the one I have is correct. If I disconnect it, sat becomes greyed out in idrive so I know it's at least communicating with the car. When plugged in, sat becomes available, the little Sirius dog icon is there, and the bottom of the screen says "acquiring".
are your other radio functions working so that you can rule out a bad antenna?

the only thing I can think of doing would be take the car to an open parking lot and leave it on for 15-20 minutes, see what that does.
Old 08-14-2016, 05:39 AM
Members
Senior Members

Everything else works perfectly. I plan on trying to do what you say and go sit in a parking lot, but it probably won't happen today unfortunately, and just sitting it outside at home is useless because I'm basically surrounded by trees.
Old 08-14-2016, 07:41 AM
Members
Senior Members

Everything else works perfectly. I plan on trying to do what you say and go sit in a parking lot, but it probably won't happen today unfortunately, and just sitting it outside at home is useless because I'm basically surrounded by trees.
me too. house is completely covered by oak trees, I had to drive it up to a parking lot.

good luck, wish I could be of more help but that's literally all I can think of doing.

Quick Reply: Satellite retrofit MOST question.