E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

RETROFIT 6FL/USB AUDIO TO E60 PRE 2007/03

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2007, 07:45 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by moonbeam' post='429220' date='May 28 2007, 09:55 PM
this logic is invalid to me though, based on any other bus I have dealt with before. using the ibus as an example, I could hook a CD changer up anywhere in the car where ibus was available without a problem.... of course there would be no audio because its carried seperately but that is besides the point.

the computer in the car likely has a single transceiver for its bus, and some built in switching technology providing a few ports, meaning the ports are not predefined. I could prove this by swapping the cables for the amplifer in the trunk with the cd changer and I would bet it will work no problem.
I-Bus is very different.

I was told the port was defined, although this could be in software rather than hardware.

It would be interesting if you were to test this.
Old 05-29-2007, 07:19 PM
Members

Originally Posted by JSpira' post='429248' date='May 28 2007, 11:45 PM
I-Bus is very different.

I was told the port was defined, although this could be in software rather than hardware.

It would be interesting if you were to test this.

yeah the ibus topology is different, but it is still a bus. I will definitely test this theory, i am going to swap the ports for the cdchanger and amplifier. it is possible they are assigned though, which for sure would be in software and there should be no limited functionality, which again is why i am frustrated that the ipod kit available to me sucks vs the 6FL.

Does anybody have pictures of the "CD1,CD2" type ipod interface in action?

Ideally I will somehow open the dash to gain access to where all these cables lead and swap them as a test, if i cant get to them there i can just swap the amplifier and cd changer MOST cables in the trunk.
Old 05-29-2007, 07:34 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by moonbeam' post='429686' date='May 29 2007, 11:19 PM
yeah the ibus topology is different, but it is still a bus. I will definitely test this theory, i am going to swap the ports for the cdchanger and amplifier. it is possible they are assigned though, which for sure would be in software and there should be no limited functionality, which again is why i am frustrated that the ipod kit available to me sucks vs the 6FL.

Does anybody have pictures of the "CD1,CD2" type ipod interface in action?
Ideally I will somehow open the dash to gain access to where all these cables lead and swap them as a test, if i cant get to them there i can just swap the amplifier and cd changer MOST cables in the trunk.
Let me put your fears to rest. The iPod Interface is actually quite good. I like the fact that it goes in the glove box v. center console and that it doesn't use the funky two-wire adapter.

I was the first user of the system and wrote a detailed article about it in the Roundel (prob. in the Aug-Sept-Oct. timeframe).

Here is a photo or two
Attached Thumbnails RETROFIT 6FL/USB AUDIO TO E60 PRE 2007/03-dsc01423.jpg   RETROFIT 6FL/USB AUDIO TO E60 PRE 2007/03-dsc01431.jpg  
Old 12-10-2008, 10:12 AM
Senior Members

Interesting project. I'm working on something similar. BTW I have an LCI car, so my MASK must be able to recognise 6FL.

First I opened my MULF2. It has pads for an USB connector so I just soldered a USB connector to it and did some measurements. Yes, it powered the device and there seemed to be data transfer too. However, since I can't select USB audio from my AUX menu, I have no idea if the standard MULF2 can work like that. Probably not, it seems that more components are missing.

I have recently bought a MULF2high, which is the official USB device. I think I'll have to recode it for my car through MOST and then at least my Bluetooth should work as usual again. But I'm not sure if my MASK will recognise the MULF2high and if it enables the USB option in idrive.

Will start working on this in 2 weeks when I have some spare time.

Now I read somewhere that an official BMW 6FL retrofit is available, but can't find much about it. Can someone confirm this? Or were they referring to the ACM USB kit? (that's not what I'm looking for)

About MOST: It's a ring bus and the position of the device should not be critical. If you swap the amp and the changer it should work as usual, let me know if you tried.
Attached Thumbnails RETROFIT 6FL/USB AUDIO TO E60 PRE 2007/03-dsc01230.jpg   RETROFIT 6FL/USB AUDIO TO E60 PRE 2007/03-dsc01238.jpg   RETROFIT 6FL/USB AUDIO TO E60 PRE 2007/03-dsc01243.jpg  
Old 12-10-2008, 10:27 AM
Senior Members

This is the MULF2high.
The MULF2 does not have the round USB connector which connects to the HUB.

Personally I don't like the IPOD interface that much... really prefer 6FL.
Attached Thumbnails RETROFIT 6FL/USB AUDIO TO E60 PRE 2007/03-mulf2high.jpg  
Old 12-10-2008, 12:07 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 07 E61 530d M-Sport.

Originally Posted by timewa' post='742378' date='Dec 10 2008, 07:27 PM
This is the MULF2high.
The MULF2 does not have the round USB connector which connects to the HUB.

Personally I don't like the IPOD interface that much... really prefer 6FL.

Is this not he 6fl USB retrofit? http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?mo...hg=65&fg=95 I had the quote for fitting this from my dealer who said it was ?160+VAT.

Where did you find the location for the MULF as Ive looked and on the floor in the boot i can only find the TCM?
Old 05-01-2009, 05:28 AM
Members

Hi,

I'm new to the forum and new to BMW! I've just bought a 2005 525D SE

I'm after some advice and I've already done a lot of reading and phoning around about the subject. My car has business iDrive consisting of a slot in CD player (currently broken) and a 6 CD Changer. I want the USB audio interface (option 6FL) but it's proving hard to find solid information and pricing. I believe my iDrive is the older MASK system. Ideally I'd like to keep the CD changer but I've read I might have to sacrifice it for the USB interface. Of course there are other possiblities like the Dension Gateway 500... Does anyone have any experience with any of this kit? I just want something to play MP3s of a USB stick.

Any help would be appreciated!
Old 12-28-2009, 01:31 PM
Members

Any update on the retrofit? I am very curious! 2007 550i here - but production was 12/06.
Old 01-13-2010, 08:44 AM
Members

I found this. Its for the 1 and 3 series, but does it help anyone?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
USB_Retrofit.pdf (1.73 MB, 1335 views)
Old 01-14-2010, 10:07 AM
Members

My Ride: 04 545i sport, stick, L7, sat, nav. Charcoal/ runflat/ cdv delete. Suede headliner/ trunk, 3 way front speakers, four 8" subs in rear shelf, ACM, iPod dock in ash tray using gateway 500 with MP3 text and video on screen, MRTM aluminum pedals/ door pins, 10 farad cap, sound processor, line conditioner, 2 amps ( 4x100 and 2x200)

I found one E60 that had the retrofit performed at the dealer. E60 SA-6FL retrofit Read the whole post, as it claims BMW's official position ( at that time ) is that it is not currently available as a retrofit on the E60.

Quick Reply: RETROFIT 6FL/USB AUDIO TO E60 PRE 2007/03