E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Audio System Upgrade Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 08:25 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 520d SE 163bhp, Saloon, Grey, no factory fit extras, no mods. (yet...).

Folks,

I have the EU standard stereo in my car, which we all know is an excellent piece of audio engineering.

To improve the sound even further I have fitted L7 (top hi-fi) tweeters to the holes in the font doors (thanks Bruce Miranda), and to the rear deck. These piggyback directly from the OEM mids. The sound is already MUCH better - open and better seperation etc.

Next step is to improve the base a little....

My intension is to buy an amp and fit it in the boot next to the battery where I can pick up a good power source. I have identified the amp.

However I have a few options on how to deal with the woofers - and would welcome comments and siggestions as I am not sure what to do.

1) use the amp to drive the existing drivers under the seats. As I don't have the OEM teeny amp in the boot I will need to run wires down to them and don't know whether I can be bothered to strip the rear seats and trim off to route the cables.

2) As above but add slimline earthquae SWS 8's.

3) Fitt a new woofer in the boot somewhere - and drive the amp from a signal from the rear mids.

Finally - can someone tell me where I can find a stanby signal in the boot (or nearby) so my amp turns off when I turn the ignition off. Note that I have not got a lighter socket in the boot to use. I have no CD changer fitted in the glove box, but it apperas that there is a flying lead for the power supply fitted - could I use this, again it would mean routing a cable from the glove box in the front of the car to the boot which sounds like a pain.

Any help from Forum members who have any views would be great.

Tim
Old 08-27-2009, 09:58 AM
Members

The actual speakers aren't too bad, it's the poor built in amp in the head unit that lets it down.

I have the same base UK stereo and have kept the existing six speakers, also added tweeters to front doors and rear parcel shelf and a Blaupunkt THA-275 amp with plug 'n play wiring loom (loops in behind the existing head unit).

Spent about ?320 all in, and it has transformed the sound completely.

If you want more bass with up-dated SWS-8 woofers, I'd go for the THA-555 amp

Amp and loom link
Old 08-27-2009, 12:41 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 520d SE 163bhp, Saloon, Grey, no factory fit extras, no mods. (yet...).

Originally Posted by Macadee' post='990436' date='Aug 27 2009, 06:58 PM
The actual speakers aren't too bad, it's the poor built in amp in the head unit that lets it down.

I have the same base UK stereo and have kept the existing six speakers, also added tweeters to front doors and rear parcel shelf and a Blaupunkt THA-275 amp with plug 'n play wiring loom (loops in behind the existing head unit).

Spent about ?320 all in, and it has transformed the sound completely.

If you want more bass with up-dated SWS-8 woofers, I'd go for the THA-555 amp

Amp and loom link
Thanks for the info.

Sounds good, did you put the amp in the boot, and run the loom from the head to the boot (was it a pain ?). Does the loom have the standby power signal. Sorry if this is obvious !

Thanks,

Tim
Old 08-27-2009, 01:20 PM
Members

Originally Posted by timo' post='990616' date='Aug 27 2009, 09:41 PM
Thanks for the info.

Sounds good, did you put the amp in the boot, and run the loom from the head to the boot (was it a pain ?). Does the loom have the standby power signal. Sorry if this is obvious !

Thanks,

Tim
Yep, amp in boot behind the left arch trim.

Bought and cut down a Logic 7 bracket (to avoid replacing arch trim piece) and mounted on the side of the wheel arch replacing the existing bracket.

Ran the cable loom from the boot to the head unit down left / passenger side by removing door trim pieces and pushing cables under the carpet.

The cabling is expensive but is pure plug 'n play, all wiring plugs into existing connections and power is supplied through the head unit.

Larger amps than the 275 would also need a direct feed from the battery, but switching will still be controlled by the head unit.

Biggest pain was mounting the amp, cabling was easy once you figure out how the trims come off.

You can mount the smaller amp up front with a shorter loom, but I have plans for a Dension 500 above the fuses in the glove box and wanted to retain a clean hidden finish.
Old 08-27-2009, 01:31 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Macadee' post='990655' date='Aug 27 2009, 10:20 PM
Yep, amp in boot behind the left arch trim.

Bought and cut down a Logic 7 bracket (to avoid replacing arch trim piece) and mounted on the side of the wheel arch replacing the existing bracket.

Ran the cable loom from the boot to the head unit down left / passenger side by removing door trim pieces and pushing cables under the carpet.

The cabling is expensive but is pure plug 'n play, all wiring plugs into existing connections and power is supplied through the head unit.

Larger amps than the 275 would also need a direct feed from the battery, but switching will still be controlled by the head unit.

Biggest pain was mounting the amp, cabling was easy once you figure out how the trims come off.

You can mount the smaller amp up front with a shorter loom, but I have plans for a Dension 500 above the fuses in the glove box and wanted to retain a clean hidden finish.
Perfect - I know exactly what I need to do next, thanks v.mcuh for the help !
good luck with your Denison Gateway.