E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Sunroof rattling

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 10:16 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been meaning to ask this forum if anyone has had this issue with their sunroof. When I tilt it or open it, the sunroof occasionally rattles like drinking glasses in a china cabinet during a California earthquake! Has anyone a clue as to why this might be happening? I appreciate, as always your feedback.

Cheers!
Old 07-15-2010, 10:20 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550I M Sport, Premium pkg, Logic 7, Sport Automatic Trans, Paddle Shifters, Nav, Comfort Access, Rear Shades, Satellite, PDC

Several people on this site have had that same issue including myself. Mine is currently at the dealer for 45k maintenance and sunroof rattle. They replaced the linkage and the seals and it started acting up again. It rattles on small bumps and when closing the door. Hopefully they get it right this time.
Old 07-15-2010, 10:39 AM
Members

Good luck on that. Mine is way out of warranty. It may have to remain closed for the most part. It sounds way too expensive to fix for an 04 with 133k on it. We'll see what comes from other forum members.

Cheers, and go Saints!

Man I could go for a cup of Chickoree coffee and beniet's from Cafe DuMonde, followed by a Muffaletta at NOLA's and a stop at the Commander's for their Bread Pudding with whiskey sauce. All touristy I'm sure but I miss your town!
Old 07-15-2010, 02:44 PM
Contributors

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW
Model Year: 2006

Sorry that I can't contribute. But I have this issue as well and subscribing to see if anybody could provide a lead to a fix. Yes, it does sound like heavy glass bumping around at the top. It happens in the vent\tilt position, not partially open\closed position.
Old 07-15-2010, 02:51 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by balbs
Sorry that I can't contribute. But I have this issue as well and subscribing to see if anybody could provide a lead to a fix. Yes, it does sound like heavy glass bumping around at the top. It happens in the vent\tilt position, not partially open\closed position.
+1 Me too
Old 07-15-2010, 05:19 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 09 M5 (E60) Interlagos blue, Silverstone interior, with cold weather package. Adaptive Xenon headlamps and adaptive brake lights, hud, comfort access. Comfort seats, basically fully loaded.

Lol dammit must I add that I have the same prob only in tilt position. I do all my own work just have not bothered to look at it. I guess since there is a demand to solve the issue now I'll get my hands abit greasy. Will let u know what I find?
Old 07-18-2010, 12:24 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Shezmon
Lol dammit must I add that I have the same prob only in tilt position. I do all my own work just have not bothered to look at it. I guess since there is a demand to solve the issue now I'll get my hands abit greasy. Will let u know what I find?
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 07-19-2010, 12:44 AM
Members

My Ride: Coming soon...

It's the metal wind deflector rattling against the glass of the moonroof. Use your fingers to pull down on the deflector and see if that stops the rattling. If it does, then the wind deflector is the culprit. Some have used tape on the wind deflector to pad it and prevent metal to glass contact. Mine has this issue too, but I haven't tried this fix yet. I would rather have it fixed correctly but the dealer says it's not covered under warranty...
Old 07-19-2010, 02:40 AM
Members

I had a few circular velcro tape about 1 cm in diameter, I used the softer side and put about 7 or 8 across the wind deflector. Noise eliminated.
Old 07-19-2010, 05:29 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550I M Sport, Premium pkg, Logic 7, Sport Automatic Trans, Paddle Shifters, Nav, Comfort Access, Rear Shades, Satellite, PDC

Originally Posted by diverep
Good luck on that. Mine is way out of warranty. It may have to remain closed for the most part. It sounds way too expensive to fix for an 04 with 133k on it. We'll see what comes from other forum members.

Cheers, and go Saints!

Man I could go for a cup of Chickoree coffee and beniet's from Cafe DuMonde, followed by a Muffaletta at NOLA's and a stop at the Commander's for their Bread Pudding with whiskey sauce. All touristy I'm sure but I miss your town!
Got mine back on Friday and it was covered under warranty. They replaced the wind deflector: 54-13-7-198-594.

Those are some of the very good things about New Orleans along with seafood too.

Quick Reply: Sunroof rattling