E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering wheel tilt not working

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 03:31 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 M5
Model Year: 2010
Engine: S85
Default Steering wheel tilt not working

So a couple days ago my steering tilt completely stopped working. I can no longer move the steering wheel down or let alone up. It's stuck in the up position. Prior to it completely not working it made a grinding noise twice then all of a sudden it stopped working.
I decided to take it the stealership this morning. I was hoping that it was just the steering electronic motor adjustment gone bad. The stealership tells me I have to replace the whole steering column !!!!! No way I'm going to pony up $2200 for this.

If the steering tilt was stuck all the way down I could care less but it's stuck all the way up!! It feels like I'm driving a damn bus. It feels so uncomfortable.

Does anyone know if I can manually bring the tilt down? I don't care if it doesn't go up again.

Last edited by b00sted415; 02-11-2013 at 04:21 PM.
Old 02-23-2013, 07:32 AM
Members

Originally Posted by b00sted415
So a couple days ago my steering tilt completely stopped working. I can no longer move the steering wheel down or let alone up. It's stuck in the up position. Prior to it completely not working it made a grinding noise twice then all of a sudden it stopped working.
I decided to take it the stealership this morning. I was hoping that it was just the steering electronic motor adjustment gone bad. The stealership tells me I have to replace the whole steering column !!!!! No way I'm going to pony up $2200 for this.

If the steering tilt was stuck all the way down I could care less but it's stuck all the way up!! It feels like I'm driving a damn bus. It feels so uncomfortable.

Does anyone know if I can manually bring the tilt down? I don't care if it doesn't go up again.

Just use these for driving.....
Attached Thumbnails Steering wheel tilt not working-9.jpg  
Old 02-23-2013, 08:16 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by greentrbo95gst
Just use these for driving.....
lol no comment
Old 02-23-2013, 09:46 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 07 550i Sports Package
Model Year: 2007

I'm about to install a used Steering column, I got the entire column for about $150 steering wheel included. This could be an option for you. I've been kinda busy so I haven't gotten a chance to replace it yet. I will report back when done.
Old 02-24-2013, 04:43 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

Unplug the electrical contacts and plug them back in. Check fuses. Dealers just replace on your pocket...even if there isn't a "real" problem
Old 02-25-2013, 07:43 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 02/2006 525i Titanium Silver Metallic Manual 6-Speed

I had this exact same problem happen to me. They first replaced the motor, but that didn't fix it, so they ended up replacing the entire steering column. Over $2K, but it was covered under my CPO.
Old 02-25-2013, 09:11 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Gee_115
I'm about to install a used Steering column, I got the entire column for about $150 steering wheel included. This could be an option for you. I've been kinda busy so I haven't gotten a chance to replace it yet. I will report back when done.
Thanks but I ended up paying the dealership $$$ to remove the steering column and adjust it manually. Now it permanently is all the way down . Let us know how your install goes. Maybe down the line I can get a used one as well.
Old 02-25-2013, 09:16 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by AchtungE60
Unplug the electrical contacts and plug them back in. Check fuses. Dealers just replace on your pocket...even if there isn't a "real" problem
I checked fuses everything was in working order. The problem is the actual steering column and adjuster motor. For now I asked the dealer to adjust it manually, maybe in the future I'll get this fixed.
Old 02-25-2013, 09:17 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by pradden
I had this exact same problem happen to me. They first replaced the motor, but that didn't fix it, so they ended up replacing the entire steering column. Over $2K, but it was covered under my CPO.
Yeah most of the people that had this problem got it fixed under CPO.
Old 02-25-2013, 10:01 AM
H F
New Members

My Ride: 2005 545

Originally Posted by b00sted415

I had the steering column replaced under waranty . but my new column (3 yrs old now) made a sqeeking noise.. but getting to The point as i was greasing the column i was moving it up and down. Then.. it stoppeed workin.. I was like oh shit !! thought i burned the motor. but after a few minutes it reset then all was good...Maybe u need to grease the column cause the original grease is dried out .. possibly putting strain on the motor as its goen up and down...and its getting hot.. Did the column ever reset after letting it sit for a bit... ??

Quick Reply: Steering wheel tilt not working