E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Left side low beam and adaptive leveling fault.

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2016, 08:02 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 bmw e60 535i, 6 speed manual, sport package
Default Left side low beam and adaptive leveling fault.

Hi! I'm new and only asking after I've searched forever on all the 5 series forums. It's a 2008 535i if that matters at all. After my wife took it to a car wash the passenger side headlight filled up with condensation and the low beam and auto leveling for that light no longer worked. I replaced the low beam light but it is still not working. While I had the light out I noticed the small black box in the headlight unit under the low beam cone was open slightly. It has white connectors on the top and sides of it. It looks like their might be a circuit board inside. Is this a serviceable part or do I have to buy a headlight assembly? How would I check if the voltage outputs are correct (what voltage should the connectors output)?

Thank you all in advance and happy motoring!
Old 05-01-2016, 08:13 PM
Super Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 287 Posts
My Ride: 05 530i M54
Model Year: 05 530i
Engine: 3.0 M54

Did you let it dry out first before buying parts? I would dry it out check the cables and connectors for cracks, corrosion, burn marks then try again to see if it works.

I don't think changing the bulb would correct both errors so there is still condensation in the assembly.
Old 05-01-2016, 09:39 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 bmw e60 535i, 6 speed manual, sport package

Originally Posted by seanjordan20
Did you let it dry out first before buying parts? I would dry it out check the cables and connectors for cracks, corrosion, burn marks then try again to see if it works.

I don't think changing the bulb would correct both errors so there is still condensation in the assembly.
Sean, Thank you for your speedy response! I apologize for not being clear about what I did. I dried it out and removed all the moisture I could. I didn't see any cracks or burns in the cables or connectors when I took the headlight out. The high beam and the turn signal both work as designed. If you signal right the turning light comes on as well. So so far it's just the passenger (right) side low beam and passenger side adaptive leavaling system that has faults in it. The driver side works as designed (adaptive functions, low beam, high beam, etc.).

What I haven't done is switch the modules (metal boxes on the bottom of the headlights) from the functioning driver side to the passenger side. I'm afraid of shorting out the good functioning boxes.
Is this a valid concern or are those modules pretty robust?
Old 05-02-2016, 02:14 AM
Super Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 287 Posts
My Ride: 05 530i M54
Model Year: 05 530i
Engine: 3.0 M54

The box you are referring to is the HID I believe. That should not be your problem. But if you want to swap them you can. They are sealed and do not short. I believe your issue is water getting inside and creating a short some where. On the leveling mech. and low beam wire. These headlight are known for shorts due to wire contact on the inside. Look inside the circle you change your bulb and inspect every wire. I still think it needs time to dry.