E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chipwerke for N54 anyone ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2016, 09:45 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2009 E61 xDrive, N54, Premium, Sport, Panorama Roof
Default Chipwerke for N54 anyone ?

Does anyone have any experience with Chipwerke running on there N54's or other?

I am getting ready to take the plunge and I figured for $449 it seems pretty legit they are local to me I can drive there in 10 minutes and pick one up. The Audi guys seem to be very pleased with there product but would love to hear the feedback on our motors. I will post up some information later after I get mine installed.
Old 09-13-2016, 09:51 AM
New Members

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535xi
Model Year: 2008
Engine: n54

I am not an avid tuner.. but I've never heard of anyone on the forums using that brand. It has been JB4 or MHD all over the place and the most popular. Next come cobb and then dinan.

If they are local, it's great for you.. but... if everyone else is using the other brands, you're not likely going to get any support except direct from the vendor.
Old 09-13-2016, 10:03 AM
New Members

I have called them this morning and set up a appt around lunch time. seems like the same type of system as the JB it is a piggyback type system and plugs into the boost/map sensors. I know they are big in Europe with other manufactures I am looking forward to my drive home from work today
Old 09-13-2016, 10:25 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2010, E61, 535i xDrive
Model Year: 2010

Search MHD, lower price and better known.
Old 09-19-2016, 09:14 AM
New Members

Ok everyone I have had it on the car for about a week or so and I am very very impressed. my wagon moves like gang busters now! it feels like the torque is there alll the way to 100mph and it doesn't let up! fantastic chip I totally recommend it guys.... and they offer a 30 day satisfaction guarantee I really think you guys should give it a shot. I can contact them and see if we can get a discount code for all of us here if anyone is interested also.

https://www.chipwerke.com/
Old 09-21-2016, 06:14 AM
New Members

How's the installation? Where does the piggyback sits? How are the adjustments made?

I am trying to compare it to other lower cost options. MHD can be done for $150 and it is upgradable, lets you run ethanol, takes 2 minutes to change maps with your phone, etc.
Old 09-21-2016, 10:02 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by pocholin
How's the installation? Where does the piggyback sits? How are the adjustments made?

I am trying to compare it to other lower cost options. MHD can be done for $150 and it is upgradable, lets you run ethanol, takes 2 minutes to change maps with your phone, etc.
Installation was very easy the wiring harness used all OEM plugs and was made very nice they plug into your existing sensors one in the intake manifold near the firewall and the other is below that, I had to pull my airbox to get to it and I attached the aluminum box next to the jump point near the shock towers.

it is adjustable by taking the box apart and accessing the 2 dials on the bottom

I was looking at MHD also and this is what I saw

$99 for the flash module
$49 MHD map pack
$69 Monitor Module

then I still need the cables....

So where is everyone buying all the MHD stuff can I get some links??? I still need the android device unless they make something for us APPLE people.

I chose Chipwerke for a few reason they where extremely friendly and helpful on the phone and they are local only a 10 minute drive from me they stand by there product and have been around overseas for a long time. my plans for my wagon are not to go full tilt race car like Evan... just wanted a little more get up and go and try to keep my reliability.
Old 09-25-2016, 10:41 AM
New Members

Yeah, it seems installation of Chipwerke is pretty simple as well as adjustments, nice.

You do need an Android device (nowadays you can get one for $50 to $60 bucks. Cable is another $40-$45, but you don't need to get the monitor module, I don't have it yet and haven't found a need for it. Total cost of MHD would be ~$250 if you don't have an android device, still better than anything else I've seen plus it grows with you and your mods. I've tried the E85 module (another $50) and that is a beast! Basically, I put 40% ethanol and let MHD burn the map and it gives me another 50-60 HP immediately. When burning a map you have different options like setting boost per gear (in the first 4 gears), let your can what octane fuel you're putting, etc. You can also scan for code and clear them,

You'd need t search MHD in Android's play store to purchase it. https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...sher.n54&hl=en
Old 09-25-2016, 06:51 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
My Ride: E61 with all the mods
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54

Don't spend your money on Chipwerke get the JB4 or MHD. There is no reason not to, they are both proven and have a slew of features to compliment their power increase.

I am a huge fan of the JB4 for many reasons and recommend that above all else. Many people who are new to tuning like the ease of the MHD but they will nickel and dime you for all the licensing and feature add-ons. You can snag a used JB4 with a G5 board and either a usb cable or BT kit for $350-$450, I think the mobile app is $20 or so. Live data, DME code reading/clearing, data logging, tons of on the fly features which can be accessed through the steering wheel controls, and frequent firmware updates.

If you have plans to make serious power say 500whp+ the JB4 has a few external triggers and settings for port injection, secondary fuel pumps, methanol, or nitrous; they are integrated and you can set parameters a flow rates, JB4 has safety features which watch over everything.

MHD can be used in conjunction with the JB4 (this is what I do) as a "back end" flash where the JB4 stays active as the superior boost controller that it is but some of the duties are delegated to MHD with the flash. One of the nice features of MHD is the load value the TCU is able to see with MHD, the trans is able to see much higher torque levels and prepare accordingly.

People have success with both, both tunes can take you to serious levels of performance, both have their strengths but I prefer the integration and features of the JB4, especially when supplemented with MHD.

Evan