E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

bmw e60 fitted sub but it sounds poor

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2015, 02:44 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 e60 530d
Angry bmw e60 fitted sub but it sounds poor

hi,

iv fitted a sub to my bmw 2004 e60 530d but it sounds so weak i have to turn the amp all the way up to get a alright and i mean alright bass. iv spoken to a car audio company and they have said that the signal on the bmw gives off very weak signals and if i brought a line driver it would make it sound a little better but still not amazing. Has anyone else had this problem , if so how did you do to overcome it ?
Old 03-16-2015, 03:51 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: E60
Model Year: 2005

What exactly is your setup? Subs in the trunk or underneath seats? Do you have hi-fi or L7 system? What amp did you install?
Old 03-17-2015, 01:29 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2004 e60 530d
Angry bmw e60 fitted sub but it sounds poor

i have connected the subs through the rear speakers i followed the guide thats on here E60 sub+amp boot install guide

i had the same subs in my civic and they was alot louder. i was speaking to bassjunkies and they said its because the e60 gives of a low signal thats why they said get a line driver i can hear the subs dont get me wrong but its just nothing like before in my last car. unfortunately you cant put the back seats down in the e60 and i havent got a ski pass.im running two 12inch db audio 3000w each subs and a inphase amp. My car didnt have a factory amp and is running the hifi. so i had to tap into the rear speakers and useing a converter.

thanks

btw : the subs are in the boot (trunk)
tom
Old 03-17-2015, 03:22 AM
New Members

My Ride: 530d

my 530d has the same stereo as you. I have installed line to RCA drivers and also cut out the ski hole (leaving an inch all around) and then covered that with acoustic cloth. sounds awesome tbo. Ive also amplified all the speakers in the car using a nice 6 channel amp. Was a bit of a pain running the wires up the car that tapped into the front speaker signals but wasnt the end of the world either. perhaps the rear speakers dont recieve as much bass? IIRC my sub is driven by the line level audio that would normally be fed to the front speakers.
Old 03-17-2015, 09:18 AM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: E60
Model Year: 2005

tom333 - you'll need to get the bass into the cabin of the car, so either cut the ski passage or the rear deck.
Old 03-17-2015, 10:21 AM
Members

My Ride: 04 545i sport, stick, L7, sat, nav. Charcoal/ runflat/ cdv delete. Suede headliner/ trunk, 3 way front speakers, four 8" subs in rear shelf, ACM, iPod dock in ash tray using gateway 500 with MP3 text and video on screen, MRTM aluminum pedals/ door pins, 10 farad cap, sound processor, line conditioner, 2 amps ( 4x100 and 2x200)

Originally Posted by tom333
i have connected the subs through the rear speakers i followed the guide thats on here E60 sub+amp boot install guide
What level factory audio system do you have? There are 4 levels of systems in the E60 from the factory. For the Hi-Fi, Top Hi-Fi, and individual audio you would want to make your subwoofer signal connection to the under seat woofers which have the bass and mid bass in the signal. The rear shelf speakers on those cars are midrange only, and do not have subwoofer bass in the signal. Keep in mind they are left and right so both should have signal going into your subwoofer amplifier to catch all the bass in the music.

In the States we don't see the level 1 which is the Stereo-System in the E60. But on that system if you have underseat woofers then that is the signal you need for the subwoofer system in the trunk.

Hope that helps
-Michael

Last edited by methodsound; 03-17-2015 at 10:25 AM.
Old 03-17-2015, 10:52 AM
Members

My Ride: 2010 BMW 550i M Sport. GPS, Satallite, Active suspension, Silver over Black in color with beige. 68k on the clock. My 10th BMW in forty years.
Model Year: 2010
Engine: 550 Msport
Default Uner seat subs

Originally Posted by methodsound
what level factory audio system do you have? There are 4 levels of systems in the e60 from the factory. For the hi-fi, top hi-fi, and individual audio you would want to make your subwoofer signal connection to the under seat woofers which have the bass and mid bass in the signal. The rear shelf speakers on those cars are midrange only, and do not have subwoofer bass in the signal. Keep in mind they are left and right so both should have signal going into your subwoofer amplifier to catch all the bass in the music.

In the states we don't see the level 1 which is the stereo-system in the e60. But on that system if you have underseat woofers then that is the signal you need for the subwoofer system in the trunk.

Hope that helps
-michael
+1
Old 03-18-2015, 06:57 PM
New Members

if you have underseat subwoofers, your rear speakers are high passed and will not play sub-woofer frequencies. Tap into the high level subwoofer outputs from the factory amplifier with a line output converter and you will have more than enough signal.

another thing to check is the polarity of your signal connections. if you unplug one side does it sound louder? you could have one rca cable out of phase.
Old 03-20-2015, 12:30 PM
New Members

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by defaz
if you have underseat subwoofers, your rear speakers are high passed and will not play sub-woofer frequencies. Tap into the high level subwoofer outputs from the factory amplifier with a line output converter and you will have more than enough signal.

another thing to check is the polarity of your signal connections. if you unplug one side does it sound louder? you could have one rca cable out of phase.

This! You are grabbing a high-passed input signal, so there is really very little low frequency information present. You must take the signal from the woofer outputs.