E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2008 528xi Transmission Pan Gasket

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2015, 08:15 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 528Xi
Default 2008 528xi Transmission Pan Gasket

I have a 2008 528xi with 67K miles and a leak on thetransmission pan. Transmission sealingsleeve along with pan gasket was replaced over two years ago when the car had46K miles by dealer and the original owner.I’ve confirmed my current leak is not from the sealing sleeve as it’s dryall the way around it, so the oil is not just dripping down on to thegasket.Right now it’s leaving about adime size drip in the driveway.Pan doesnot have any scratches or signs of damage as it’s somewhat protected from theunderbody panel.

I’m debating two things:

• Do I drain the oil into a clean container, dropthe pan and replace just the gasket part number: 24117571235 and use a paper filter to filterthe oil and put it back in? Total cost:$50. Oil that’s dripping out has a nicered/brownish tint and looks like it might have been replaced when the sealingsleeve was replaced.
  • Get a complete kit with new pan, gasket, merchsleeve and oil from www.thectsc.com cost$260
Thanks in advance!
Attached Thumbnails 2008 528xi Transmission Pan Gasket-20151025_180221.jpg  
Old 10-31-2015, 09:34 AM
twh
Members
Senior Members

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 530xi 6MT
Model Year: 2006
Engine: N52

Clean the entire area with brake parts cleaner. Then monitor daily to see where it is coming from. Get an inspection mirror (little mirror on a long handle). Might just be those bolts need to be tightened a little. Get a torque wrench and tighten them. Instructions on thectsc.com.
Old 10-31-2015, 10:57 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by twh
Clean the entire area with brake parts cleaner. Then monitor daily to see where it is coming from. Get an inspection mirror (little mirror on a long handle). Might just be those bolts need to be tightened a little. Get a torque wrench and tighten them. Instructions on thectsc.com.
Thanks for the suggestion. I've already done exactly what you suggested. Retorquing in sequence did not help.

I did not want to go through labor twice if I replace just the gasket. Looking for anyone that might have had similar encounter.
Old 10-31-2015, 11:07 AM
twh
Members
Senior Members

Best option is kit from thectsc.com. If you don't have the funds, you could go the cheaper route. Keep in mind that the any flush, like the last one, doesn't change *all* the fluid anyway. So, you are getting some benefit by flushing again.

I will say the refill procedure is a pain in the ass. The bottom line when refilling that isn't really spelled out in the documents are that if the oil gets too hot and you have to cool down the transmission, you have to put the drain plug back before shutting off the car or a lot of oil will come out once the car is shut off. There is a lot of oil that gets locked up in the transmission that goes back into the pan once the car is shut off.
Old 11-02-2015, 06:17 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by twh
Best option is kit from thectsc.com. If you don't have the funds, you could go the cheaper route. Keep in mind that the any flush, like the last one, doesn't change *all* the fluid anyway. So, you are getting some benefit by flushing again.

I will say the refill procedure is a pain in the ass. The bottom line when refilling that isn't really spelled out in the documents are that if the oil gets too hot and you have to cool down the transmission, you have to put the drain plug back before shutting off the car or a lot of oil will come out once the car is shut off. There is a lot of oil that gets locked up in the transmission that goes back into the pan once the car is shut off.
Thanks for the advice. I ordered the complete kit with pan, oil and merch sleeve. It's in route.*

I do have a question regarding filling procedeure. I will pump the oil in until it comes out the fill plug, do I then put the plug back in and start the car for fluid to warm up, and then take the plug out while car is running to add more until it comes out the fill hole again?
Old 11-02-2015, 07:10 AM
twh
Members
Senior Members

I have a multimeter that has a temperature probe, so that's how I measured the oil temperature. I think you can get the temp also from INPA, but I haven't tried that.

Look at the pdf procedure at thecstc.com. It has a flow chart - follow the flow chart. Yes, the basic flow first step is to fill the pan until oil comes out with the car turned off. Drain plug still out. Then start the car and monitor the temp. Drain plug still out. Cycle though the gears while the car is on jack stands. Drain plug still out. Keep pumping in oil until it overflows while monitoring the temperature. Drain plug still out. Now, you are in the temp band specified in the flowchart and oil is just dripping out. Then button it all up and you are done.

The problem I mentioned arises if the temperature gets too hot and you have to shut down the car. There is a lot of oil locked up in the internals of the transmission that will suddenly come back into the pan when you shut off the car. So....if you need to shut down the car and let the transmission oil cool down and restart the procedure later, you need to put in the drain plug or you'll lose a liter of oil you just put in.