E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'10 528i Driver Floorboard Wet

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2015, 04:22 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535i 6-speed
Model Year: 2008
Default '10 528i Driver Floorboard Wet

Wife's car front floorboard is getting wet from outside water. It appears to have started in the past few weeks or so. I have seen many threads about water in the passenger front & rear floorboards and in the trunk...but nothing about the driver's floorboard.

I have checked the trunk and all other floorboards...completely dry. Removed mat, put towel down on floor, she drove in pretty rain to/from work...towel was really wet...not dripping, but pretty soaked. Behind the pedals is completely dry, and no evidence of water dripping down from above the floorboard. In addition to the floorboard, the carpet was also wet where the carpet turns vertical by the driver's door sill. So I suspect it may be coming under the door...but all the seals on the door look great.

I see a lot of talk about the sunroof drains...that the (2) rear drains clog easily and cause water in the rear floorboards and trunk. Not sure what happens when the (2) fronts clog, but I can see where those drain out through the black rubber "pipe" at the front door jams. I haven't tested the flow on those yet, but I intend to.

Any ideas from the group?
Old 11-18-2015, 05:04 PM
New Members

My Ride: 550i
Model Year: 2010

Remove the cabin filter and associated trim under the hood and see if you can trace where it's coming from. If the drain on the side is clogged that could be the culprit. I also heard that the rubber grommit that covers the hood bowden cable can get loose and let water into the cabin.
Old 11-18-2015, 05:27 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by cakes
Remove the cabin filter and associated trim under the hood and see if you can trace where it's coming from. If the drain on the side is clogged that could be the culprit.
Good suggestion...this was my first thought as well, and the first thing I checked...I forgot to mention it. I did remove both cabin filters, both underneath "housings"...the pieces that give you access to the brake fluid reservoir on the right side and a relay panel on the left. Everything under there, including the "small ducts" on each side were clean & unclogged.

Originally Posted by cakes
I also heard that the rubber grommit that covers the hood bowden cable can get loose and let water into the cabin.
Hmmm...I'm not sure what grommet your talking about...the long one that goes the entire width of the hood? All rubber parts that I put my eyes on appear to be good.
Old 11-22-2015, 10:30 AM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2004
Engine: E60 M54

Had the same exact problem..Cake is on the money!
I removed the cabin filter , covers and plastic molding and used compressed
air to blow all the crap that was blocking the drain holes.

Now whenever i strap on my leaf blower i open the hood to keep things clean.
Old 11-23-2015, 08:28 AM
Senior Members

Exactly which drain holes are you talking about? Under all the filter housing stuff...on each side there is a 1.5 x 2" port with a rubber flapper on it...the port appears to go down in the wheel well direction. Is that the drain holes you are referring to? I checked both of mine and they are clean.
Old 11-23-2015, 01:56 PM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2004
Engine: E60 M54

Yes, and the drainage ports in and around the filter covers. Make sure the filter covers
are seated properly without any debris before locking them in place. If water builds
Up because of a blockage it will
Flow down to your feet.

QUOTE=Notheld;1571420]Had the same exact problem..Cake is on the money!
I removed the cabin filter , covers and plastic molding and used compressed
air to blow all the crap that was blocking the drain holes.

Now whenever i strap on my leaf blower i open the hood to keep things clean.[/QUOTE]