DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Self Installation of Dension Gateway 500

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2007, 02:46 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 530i Sport & Premium package with bluetooth, 6 disk cd-Changer, stock 18's dunlop wrapped, leather, adaptive headlights, CPO, See my gallery :DR.I.P...Stock Silver 2004 530i with grey interior, HID,
Model Year: 2005
Engine: M54

i just looked and saw i had a cable there (is that my BUS?) but no CD-Changer. Would the CD-Changer be the one that plays MP3s or would that be the cd drive below the screen? i tried playing an mp3 cd i had laying around in that drive but it didnt play it.

im also wondering if maybe i had the CD-chager and the dealer removed it??? why run the cable without the unit unless its for future mods... i dunno

orlee

Self Installation of Dension Gateway 500-image1.jpg

[EDIT]
I guess i got the answers i needed above. it just took me a while to write this up so there was a delay on my part
Old 12-26-2007, 02:51 PM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW 545iA Black Sapphire
Engine: 545i

This is great. Ipod access and keep the CDC...

thanks for the DIY write up !

Old 03-14-2008, 04:30 AM
Contributors

My Ride: MY2005 E60 525i M Sports

Has anybody installed the bluetooth access (BT1000)or the AV extender (IVE1000) with their Dension GW500? i think the function offered is awesome. Is the add-on accessories hard to install? i'm planning to install this on my car...can anyone point me in the right direction?
Old 03-14-2008, 05:25 AM
Contributors

Anyone?
Old 03-17-2008, 06:11 AM
Contributors

Since nobody replied to the installation of the bluetooth access (BTA1000) and AV extender (IVE1000) with GW500, i went ahead and did it...well,to be honest, i'm still waiting for a reply from ACAP New Zealand on the AV Extender (IVE1000) which are the authorised dealers for my country...

but i've installed the GW500 & BTA1000. it was bought from forum member Val a couple of days ago and arrived yesterday...got everything installed at a local workshop today...

My comments on both these hardware, two thumbs up!!!

we've seen a couple of members here install the GW500, so basically we all know the functions are AUX, USB, Ipod & you get to keep your CDC working...But with bluetooth (BTA1000), you can play your media library (in my case, windows mediaplayer library through my O2 Atom Life) The results, crystal clear HiFi sound via A2DP...i didn't expect this type of sound quality from bluetooth connection... and you know what, i can now pair 2 phones via bluetooth at a time...1 from the BMW bluetooth (my Motorola V3i) and the other one is now from the dension BTA1000 (which i pair my O2 Atom Life with)...it also offers the function of voice dialing which is cool...Now, i can't wait to get my hands on the IVE1000 and hook it up to th ACM.

i'll post some pictures later...
Old 03-17-2008, 08:07 AM
Contributors

What if I have the CDC, but MP3 is not enabled. It won't work? Also how do switch between CDC and the Dension iPod Interface? Thanks. Some pics would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-20-2008, 03:15 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by Muttley' post='510680' date='Dec 26 2007, 03:43 PM
The CDC connector has power and fibre cables. You need to separate them. There is a small tab on the connector that must be pulled out with a small screwdriver. The fibre optic plug can be pulled out as a complete unit. Take care to read Dension's instructions as well. Note the direction arrows on the fibre optic plug.
At this point follow the Dension instructions to the letter. This is what the fibre optics will look like.

It is important that the unit is setup correctly. The instructions that came with the unit were not the same as I downloaded from the web site so beware. Set the dip switches for BMW mp3 (1 and 2 ON, 3 and 4 OFF). You must also make sure the unit has the up to date firmware. This is downloaded from the Dension support web page http://support.dension.com/support-center/...x=&mod_id=1 Finally make sure the unit is switched on or in the correct mode. This is done via the switch on the AUX box. This also has the reset button.
As Muttley said becareful with the instructions that you download from the website. Attached is the electronic version of the instructions that come with the box.
GW500_MOST_Install_Guide_v4_2007.06.25.pdf
Old 11-25-2008, 11:32 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 M5

I'm not sure what has changed (the cars or Dension's instructions) but this DIY seems to be misleading based on what I just did to install my Dension in my 2006 M5.

First of all the instructions posted above must be old. Here's the latest instructions:
http://support.dension.com/downloads/Gatew...stall_Guide.pdf

Note that installation #2a is what I used and it doesn't look at all like the DIY guide's pics.

The DIY is still relevant for helping to take the glove box and CDC out and identify the correct wiring in the factory harness... that's very helpful.

However, don't follow the instructions on routing the fiber based on what you see in the OP.

Last but not least, there is no convenient place to put the Dension so I stuck it to the roof of the glove box with some good 3M double sided tape such that most of the connectors face the CD changer. It seemed like the only convenient place to put it where it wouldn't be rattling around.

Good luck to others!
Old 02-07-2009, 08:28 PM
Members

My Ride: 06 525xi Jet black sprint booster ACS front lip

very stupid question... whats the difference between installing a gateway 500 or having the ipod AUX installed from the bmw dealer. both access the ipod, any major differences. I tried reading but they both seem pretty much similar
Old 02-07-2009, 10:17 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i SMG with Limited Slip Differential

Originally Posted by dudemeister' post='787718' date='Feb 8 2009, 06:28 AM
very stupid question... whats the difference between installing a gateway 500 or having the ipod AUX installed from the bmw dealer. both access the ipod, any major differences. I tried reading but they both seem pretty much similar

GW gives you a better sound quality + more connectivity and adds on.

Quick Reply: Self Installation of Dension Gateway 500