DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

DIY - Fuel Filter/Sending Unit Swap

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 09:34 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

First, I want to say thanks to member ' zamestytel ' for his initial post here. http://forums.5serie..._1#entry1419188

It wasn't an official DIY but member ' pcy ' did a DIY in that thread which saved me a lot of time looking up the TIS for this.I decided to make an official DIY for this. Because his directions were straight forward and I am lazy, I'll just use his wording. TIP: To avoid spilling dirty fuel into the tank once you disconnect the fuel filter line on the bottom of the filter, put some sort of cloth underneath it. Trust me the fuel will be blackish.

My vehicle has 125K miles on it right now and I cannot believe how much better it runs. Bought OEM part from http://www.bimmerspe...0765%20826/6679 for around $124 shipped.
DIY - Fuel Filter/Sending Unit Swap-dsc08035.jpg
DIY - Fuel Filter/Sending Unit Swap-dsc08036.jpg

1. Disconnect battery negative cable (I am not sure if this is necessary; but I wanted to make sure the pump won't run while I am working on the fuel lines).
2. Lift up the rear seat and remove.
DIY - Fuel Filter/Sending Unit Swap-dsc08037.jpg
3. Go to the drivers side, pull back the mat, you will see access panel with 4 bolts (10mm). Remove those 4 bolts, remove that metal access panel. DIY - Fuel Filter/Sending Unit Swap-dsc08038.jpg DIY - Fuel Filter/Sending Unit Swap-dsc08040.jpg DIY - Fuel Filter/Sending Unit Swap-dsc08041.jpg
4. Put some rags on top of the fuel line and remove that fuel line (squeeze on the tabs and lift up). CAREFUL slowly lift up that connector, fuel is pressurized and comes out fast. I wrapped couple of pieces of cloths on the line while slowly lifting up. When the pressure is fully released, set the line aside. DIY - Fuel Filter/Sending Unit Swap-dsc08042.jpg
5. Take large flat screw driver any other appropriate tool and a hammer and undo the large collar nut. Remove the collar nut and set aside. DIY - Fuel Filter/Sending Unit Swap-dsc08046.jpg DIY - Fuel Filter/Sending Unit Swap-dsc08047.jpg
6. Left up the fuel filter assembly. You will see a large connector on the bottom, push the pin, and remove the connector.
7. On the very bottom portion of the fuel filter, there is a flat surface. You will see an electrical connector, remove it.
8. You will see L shaped pin, push it down while pulling that entire connector away. DIY - Fuel Filter/Sending Unit Swap-dsc08048.jpg
9. The last picture shows all the connectors removed (looking in to the fuel tank). All those cables/connectors are coming from the fuel pump on the passengers side and they are connected to the fuel pump.
10. When I disconnected the fuel filter, most of the dirty fuel in the filter dropped back in to the tank. So, I took a sponge and emptied the remaining fuel in the tank.
10. Position the new fuel filter in to the position; attach the electrical connector to the new fuel filter. Connect all the fuel lines to the filter. Take your time to make sure everything is connected properly. You can't make a mistake; all connectors go one-way only.
11. Remove old seal ring on collar and put the new seal that came with the fuel filter.
12. Lower the fuel filter in to position, you will have to push it down slightly since the spring pushes the filter up against the access panel.
13. Line up the fuel filter, collar ring nut and tighten.
14. Reconnect the fuel line. Wipe off the area, reconnect battery negative cable. Start the car (it will take some cranking to pressurize and prime the lines). When you are sure no leaks, put back the access panel, tighten 4 bolts. Place the rear seat in it's position.

When you buy the new fuel filter; look at it carefully and you will see all the connections and how they are released.
FUEL FILTER AFTER 125K MILES:
DIY - Fuel Filter/Sending Unit Swap-img_0543.jpg
The following 2 users liked this post by AchtungE60:
68TallOne (11-24-2019), ankurg09 (02-26-2020)
Old 02-25-2012, 11:47 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

nice write up!

it makes me wonder how dirty the filter needs to get, before the flow of gas is effected.
Old 02-26-2012, 03:47 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by turboawd
nice write up!

it makes me wonder how dirty the filter needs to get, before the flow of gas is effected.
Very nice write up. I can appreciate the instruction to disconnect the negative battery cable before starting this DIY. With all those electrical connections - ONE spark and

That said, if the fuel pump is on a fused circuit - I suppose locating and pulling that fuse would be an alternative. At least it'd eliminate needing to reset things like radio presets, etc and potentially setting off other "alerts" ... If I decide to keep my '07 , based on the information in this useful post, I'll consider replacing the filter/sending unit @ 100K too
Old 02-26-2012, 04:57 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 540i
Model Year: 2017

Very useful DIY. Thanks for sharing your expertise
Old 02-26-2012, 06:49 AM
Members

Very good write up and great pictures. I have been out of town but I plan on getting pictures of the filter as well. Thanks for writing the DIY!
Old 02-28-2012, 02:43 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 525i 1997 318ti - Sold 1990 535i - Gone

Been waiting for this DIY. I'm hoping this replacement will make the RPM fluctuations I'm getting to subside a little. My car is at 143k now.
Old 02-28-2012, 07:02 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

Originally Posted by the awakening
Been waiting for this DIY. I'm hoping this replacement will make the RPM fluctuations I'm getting to subside a little. My car is at 143k now.
I did notice that it actually helped my RPM and my initial take off and overall driving. seriously, the car is fun to drive again i didn't realize how much better it could have responded. Probably like everyone else my BMW and I have a love/hate relationship but it appears this has put us and equal terms again.
Old 03-01-2012, 06:27 AM
jgt
Contributors

My Ride: E60
Model Year: 2006
Engine: N52

Great DIY!

What benefits have you noticed? MPG improvement? Smoother idle? Better acceleration?
Old 03-01-2012, 05:50 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 07 530i Mystic Blue

Does the package from the website you purchased from come with the actual filter as well or just the assembly?

I am very interested in doing this. Thanks,
Old 03-01-2012, 10:32 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545I and a half dozen other rides

Originally Posted by leese8080
Does the package from the website you purchased from come with the actual filter as well or just the assembly?

I am very interested in doing this. Thanks,
You cannot get just the filter separate if that is what you are asking.

Quick Reply: DIY - Fuel Filter/Sending Unit Swap