DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Changing original steering wheel to sport

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2006, 02:37 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Audi Q7 S-Line full full full

Good news! I installed 2006 SMG sport steering wheel with new airbag module to my 2003 530i, eventhough it was suppose to be impossible according to my local dealer and comments received from this forum.

It requires some modifications but it is possible and everything works just fine, no problems. I will put detailed step by step instructions with pictures when I have more time, but meanwhile here is the end result.

Best regards,
- Tommi
[/quote]

Hi Tommi!
Please let me know how you did it! I still have the new M-steering Wheel unistalled.
Old 06-13-2006, 06:09 AM
Members

My Ride: BMW 530iA E60

Originally Posted by M530DT' post='296041' date='Jun 12 2006, 01:37 AM
Hi Tommi!
Please let me know how you did it! I still have the new M-steering Wheel unistalled.
Hi,

Here are instructions with some pictures. Of course this is not the only possible way of doing it but at least it worked in my case. Please be aware that there are differences in the steering wheels between year models 2003-2006 more than just one.

Steps:
0) Remove - and + terminals from the battery poles. Remove ignition key.

1) Remove airbag module by pushing with screwdriver (or similar tool) in the hole which can be found back of the steering wheel. You can here two clicks after airbag module is released. After that disconnect the airbag module plug and other wiring harness from the steering wheel axle.

Changing original steering wheel to sport-picture_128.jpg

2) Remove steering wheel by opening following bolt. Disconnect the wiring harness.

Changing original steering wheel to sport-picture_140.jpg

3) As you can see there are differencies between steering wheels made before and after 09/2005. This is because in the new model you can start engine by pressing start button instead of turning the ignition key and the whole steering wheel axle is a little bit different. Notice that you have to move this small white plastic piece to new steering wheel.

Changing original steering wheel to sport-eri_ratti_mallit.jpg

4) First you have to remove area which has been surrounded with red in the picture. It is quite simply thing to do with Dremel for example. After that drill holes to new steering wheel as shown also in the picture. Three holes are needed; one for M4 bolt which is going to be "stick" and two holes for keeping this white plastic piece in the correct place. I also made threads into this hole just to make sure that it will last long in it?s place.

Changing original steering wheel to sport-picture_143.jpg

Changing original steering wheel to sport-picture_174.jpg

5) It is important that M4 bolt is exactly same height than original "stick" in the new steering wheel, so be carefull when measuring. Otherwise it will cause some damage to your steering wheel locking system. Also some stand is needed for plastic piece to be able to get it in the correct height. I made this stand from plastic and stuck to new steering wheel just in case.

Changing original steering wheel to sport-picture_175.jpg

6) At least in year 2003 E60 there is following black switch box which is the "brains" of the steering wheel. You have make place for this one in new steering wheel. I dig the "stuff" out from one of the poles in the new steering wheel and installed this box basically to the same place where it was in my original steering wheel.

Changing original steering wheel to sport-picture_171.jpg

7) Last modification which is needed is wiring of the airbag module. There are six wires in the old airbag module. Four of them are for airbag itself (2xblue and 2xbrown) and two of them (green and purple) are for honk system. Only difference in the new airbag is that there are only five wires. Positive wire for honk system is missing from the plug. That?s because in the new steering wheel airbag module contains only the ground plate and steering wheel contains the battery plate. Old system both of them were in the airbag module.

So what you need to do is that take one of the sockets out of the old airbag plug and put it into the new airbag plug. You should also change the order of the + and - wires in the new airbag module plug, otherwise your honk system will shout all the time after you put the ignition key on...trust me, I know what I?m talking about

Changing original steering wheel to sport-picture_176.jpg

8) Install new steering wheel. You should use wiring harness of the old steering wheel, so that car won?t notice any difference in the can bus. Connect the wiring harness and also airbag module plug. Press new airbag module to its place.

Changing original steering wheel to sport-picture_180.jpg

9) Connect the + and - terminals to battery.

10) Turn ignition key on but don?t start the engine yet. Wait until the airbag light will go off. Start engine
This would be better to be done from the passenger side, just in case.

Changing original steering wheel to sport-picture_184_pieni.jpg

Hopefully somebody is able to follow these instructions. Good luck!

Br,
- THe -
Old 06-13-2006, 07:39 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 550i - Titanium Silver, Step, Black Interior, Sports Pkg.,CWP,Comfort Access, Nav, Premium Sound, Sat. Radio

Did your original steering wheel have the heating option, and if yes, does that feature work with the new wheel?
Old 06-13-2006, 08:19 AM
Members

Originally Posted by T_He' post='296913' date='Jun 13 2006, 04:09 PM
Hi,

Here are instructions with some pictures. Of course this is not the only possible way of doing it but at least it worked in my case. Please be aware that there are differences in the steering wheels between year models 2003-2006 more than just one.

Thanks Tommi!

This convinced me to install my new M-wheel.
Old 06-13-2006, 08:37 AM
Members

My Ride: BMW 530iA E60

Originally Posted by Klepper' post='296944' date='Jun 13 2006, 06:39 PM
Did your original steering wheel have the heating option, and if yes, does that feature work with the new wheel?
My original steering wheel didn?t contain heating system, but new contains. I will try to get that working as well at some point before winter comes. It requires new "brains" (61 31 693 8772), wiring harness and button.

Br,
- THe -
Old 06-17-2006, 05:40 PM
Members

Originally Posted by T_He' post='296913' date='Jun 13 2006, 04:09 PM
Hi,

- THe -
Hi Tommi!
I have now successful installed my M-steering wheel, thanks for your intuitive instructions! It took about 2,5 hours. Janne
Old 08-09-2006, 08:05 AM
Members

My Ride: 06 550

Originally Posted by my530i' post='294609' date='Jun 8 2006, 02:58 PM
Hi T_He,
The steering wheel in the pic is for car built down to 09/05. You should buy steering wheel look like the one on the left

Attachment 20240
Best Regards,

Fred
hi how much are you selling the steering wheel for?
tim
Old 12-30-2006, 06:33 PM
Members

Who'd like to trade post 09/05 e60 sport steering wheel SMG with me?

In reverse,I bought a new E60 sport steering wheel with SMG paddles and round airbag module with all accessories,part number is 32346763382,but it does not fit my post 09/05 530i,because it is for pre 09/05 E60,so if who have post 09/05 sport steering wheel with SMG that can not fit your car,we can trade them.

Andy
Old 12-31-2006, 01:35 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW 545iA Black Sapphire
Model Year: 2005
Engine: 545i

Originally Posted by andy.yip' post='372466' date='Dec 31 2006, 04:33 AM
Who'd like to trade post 09/05 e60 sport steering wheel SMG with me?

In reverse,I bought a new E60 sport steering wheel with SMG paddles and round airbag module with all accessories,part number is 32346763382,but it does not fit my post 09/05 530i,because it is for pre 09/05 E60,so if who have post 09/05 sport steering wheel with SMG that can not fit your car,we can trade them.
Andy
Andy, why don't you try the above DIY mod ?

on a side note i have been looking for a pre 09/05 smg sports steering wheel since I'm interested in this mod - but only need the steering wheel (needs to have heated option) - i can use my round airbag from my present sports steering wheel.

I guess your not interested in selling only the smg steering wheel.
Old 01-13-2007, 02:42 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by T_He' post='296913' date='Jun 13 2006, 09:09 PM
Hi,

Steps:
0) Remove - and + terminals from the battery poles. Remove ignition key.

1) Remove airbag module by pushing with screwdriver (or similar tool) in the hole which can be found back of the steering wheel. You can here two clicks after airbag module is released. After that disconnect the airbag module plug and other wiring harness from the steering wheel axle.

Attachment 20469

2) Remove steering wheel by opening following bolt. Disconnect the wiring harness.

Attachment 20470

3) As you can see there are differencies between steering wheels made before and after 09/2005. This is because in the new model you can start engine by pressing start button instead of turning the ignition key and the whole steering wheel axle is a little bit different. Notice that you have to move this small white plastic piece to new steering wheel.

Attachment 20471

4) First you have to remove area which has been surrounded with red in the picture. It is quite simply thing to do with Dremel for example. After that drill holes to new steering wheel as shown also in the picture. Three holes are needed; one for M4 bolt which is going to be "stick" and two holes for keeping this white plastic piece in the correct place. I also made threads into this hole just to make sure that it will last long in it?s place.

Attachment 20472

Attachment 20477

5) It is important that M4 bolt is exactly same height than original "stick" in the new steering wheel, so be carefull when measuring. Otherwise it will cause some damage to your steering wheel locking system. Also some stand is needed for plastic piece to be able to get it in the correct height. I made this stand from plastic and stuck to new steering wheel just in case.

Attachment 20473

6) At least in year 2003 E60 there is following black switch box which is the "brains" of the steering wheel. You have make place for this one in new steering wheel. I dig the "stuff" out from one of the poles in the new steering wheel and installed this box basically to the same place where it was in my original steering wheel.

Attachment 20474

7) Last modification which is needed is wiring of the airbag module. There are six wires in the old airbag module. Four of them are for airbag itself (2xblue and 2xbrown) and two of them (green and purple) are for honk system. Only difference in the new airbag is that there are only five wires. Positive wire for honk system is missing from the plug. That?s because in the new steering wheel airbag module contains only the ground plate and steering wheel contains the battery plate. Old system both of them were in the airbag module.

So what you need to do is that take one of the sockets out of the old airbag plug and put it into the new airbag plug. You should also change the order of the + and - wires in the new airbag module plug, otherwise your honk system will shout all the time after you put the ignition key on...trust me, I know what I?m talking about

Attachment 20475

8) Install new steering wheel. You should use wiring harness of the old steering wheel, so that car won?t notice any difference in the can bus. Connect the wiring harness and also airbag module plug. Press new airbag module to its place.

Attachment 20476

9) Connect the + and - terminals to battery.

10) Turn ignition key on but don?t start the engine yet. Wait until the airbag light will go off. Start engine
This would be better to be done from the passenger side, just in case.

Attachment 20478

Hopefully somebody is able to follow these instructions. Good luck!

Br,
- THe -
Brave man!! Congrats on the mod!! But one thing I'm worried about for you is, does EVERYTHING work correctly? I'm just worried that the airbag may not deploy in an accident. Thats why I think its risky to mess around with anything that can be airbag related. But hey man, I got my fingers crossed for you that everything works fine!!

Quick Reply: Changing original steering wheel to sport