Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

Parrot CK3000 Install

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 07:43 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all,

Please see my Bluetooth install below.

Firstly anyone wishing to perform this will nned to follow this Guide by Lomag first to get the dash out to the point that you can get access to the stereo screws so that you can extract that to plug in the Bluetooth kit. Also give this Guide from RudeJA a quik looksee, primarily incase he has some pics i missed out on, plus oh yeah he has the pin connection descriptions. Right then firstly i'll tell you my Goal for this project. I wanted bluetooth in my E60 and the research i did for getting a price of retrofitting the stock equipment myself was EXTREMELY expensive and time consuming to install, let alone confusing i.e. 13 versions of the damn ULF bluetooth module thingy, jeeez!!! I also wanted the whole thing controlled from the steering wheel like the factory unit. So i opted for a unit i've had installed on 2 previous cars of mine and that i've ALSO fitted to 3 other cars of friends and family's, it's the Parrot CK3000 Evo. However i also paid out for the ISO cable convertor and the Parrot MULTICAN steering wheel control module. See below for pics and links to the devices from Expansys UK. I am not recommending you get the parts from here (although i did, bar the parrot CK3000 which was off Ebay) it's just good to see the part number's, etc. yourself.

Parrot CK3000 From Expansys
Parrot MULTICAN for CK3000 Evolution from Expansys
Parrot PC000006AA Adapter from Expansys
Attached Thumbnails Parrot CK3000 Install-dsc_0243.jpg   Parrot CK3000 Install-parrot_ck3000_evo_kit___box.jpg  
Old 03-30-2008, 07:45 AM
Members

Sorry forgot the last pic for that part
Attached Thumbnails Parrot CK3000 Install-parrot_iso_convertor_cable.jpg  
Old 03-30-2008, 08:05 AM
Members

Right then after taking the car to pieces i started the mic installation first. I positioned the mic in the stock mic location in the front centre light cluster. See the pictures below. The black rectangle piece of plastic i'm holding up is the mic fascia plate with the drivers side vent unblocked by unclippling the blank plate on the rear.
The picture with the orange circle is to highlight the mic's position......it's clipped onto the exisiting wiring harness, i included a loop of cabling to allow for adjustment to the mic's position if sound quality was poor. the cabling for the mic was achieved by taking out the panels in the roof lining (like illustrated) then by taking the plug end of the mic cable i threaded it into the opening with one hand and with the other hand in a position at the top of the windscreen (where it meets the roof lining) you'll notice a small gap where you can thread the plug through (by firmly making the gap between the roof lining and windscreen wider) and then simply take the cable across to the passenger side of the car threading it into this roof lining windshield gap that ultimatelyt means the cable ends up in the roof lining then around the top the A-pillar trim and then simply tucked down the interior side of the door seal rubber until you reach the lower side of the dash then you'll need to go up the side of the glove box and into the void above the glovebox (as that's where all the control boxes ultimately end up). But with regards to the mic and it's positioning it's COMPLETELY concealed like the factory one.

P.S. If you ain't noticed yet i've doing this post in parts, so be bear with me and more will follow.
Attached Thumbnails Parrot CK3000 Install-dsc_0235.jpg   Parrot CK3000 Install-dsc_0236.jpg   Parrot CK3000 Install-dsc_0249_edit.jpg   Parrot CK3000 Install-dsc_0250.jpg   Parrot CK3000 Install-dsc_0251.jpg  

Parrot CK3000 Install-dsc_0255.jpg  
Old 03-30-2008, 08:27 AM
Members

Right then the parrot wiring.

Unfortunately the MULTICAN unit i have is faulty and will need to be returned to Expansys for a replacment SO for now i have to bite the bullet and fit the control module that comes with the CK3000 until my replacment gets here, Anyway like RudeJA i da to take an ignition source from the cigarette lighter also which in turn (for me anyway) meant i had to remove the trim around the gear stick and I-Drive knob. Once i'd sourced the connection for the ignition it was simply a case of plugging everything together all the bits. You'll need to unclip the optical cable that comes out of the back of the CD player unit (it's 2 small connections in one plug, see picture) and re-clip them in the new parrot ISO convertor that'll go back into the unit once installed.

on the picture with the cable on my leg you'll notice that one of the ISO cable connections has a breakable power cable, this is the one that goes into the ignition source of the parrot kit.
Attached Thumbnails Parrot CK3000 Install-dsc_0252.jpg   Parrot CK3000 Install-dsc_0254.jpg   Parrot CK3000 Install-dsc_0243__2_.jpg   Parrot CK3000 Install-dsc_0244.jpg  
Old 03-30-2008, 08:32 AM
Members

Now complete (until the steering whell control module replacment arrives) i'll post some more pics later.............Enjoy, any questions or annotated pictures required just give us a shout out.
Old 03-30-2008, 09:23 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

Can you please explain the use of the ISO connector. I can't make it out from your description and pictures. What does it replace or connect to and how. Excellent write-up.
Old 03-30-2008, 09:28 AM
Members

My Ride: 525d LCI - xenon, tv function,grey dakota leather,titanium silver,244 radial spokes.

Nice setup, is it possible to use the controls that are already present on the steering?
How much does BMW charge for the bluetooth kit module?
Old 03-30-2008, 09:59 AM
Members

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda' post='553232' date='Mar 30 2008, 06:23 PM
Can you please explain the use of the ISO connector. I can't make it out from your description and pictures. What does it replace or connect to and how. Excellent write-up.
Hi Bruce glad to hear you got your wheels sorted btw!!

Well all Parrot kits (to my knowledge) have ISO connectors only for connecting to the stereo, now apologies if i'm telling you something you already know but for those out there that don't know ISO connections on stereos basically take all the cabling that goes into the average car stereo and splits them into 2 plugs, 1 for all speaker cables, and the other for power, electric antenna, etc. However the stereo in the E60 has a monster plug (which i noticed on RudeJA's post) where all these wires exist. So Parraot offer a kit to turn that plug into ISO's which then plug into the Parrot kit, and then from the Parrots ISO connection back into the BMW plug, basically it stops you cutting wires.
Old 03-30-2008, 10:10 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Sahil' post='553235' date='Mar 30 2008, 06:28 PM
Nice setup, is it possible to use the controls that are already present on the steering?
How much does BMW charge for the bluetooth kit module?

Hi Sahil,

Right then from my research into getting the genuine BMW option basically consisted of getting the following stuff:-

ULF module - get one as new as possible as older earlier ones had compatiblity issues, etc. - approx ?200 from ebay for a generation 13 (think that's the latest one)
Wiring harness - if you car is like mine and has ZERO prep the you'll need this too. - approx ?180 from dealer
Host of other parts like screws, mic, bluetooth antenna, etc. - Total's approx ?70
then to top it off (assuming you give up a weekend fitting it yourself) the car then needs to go back to the dealer to be 'coded' to enable bluetooth. Approx ?100.

Or get a quote for the retrofit like i also did and get qouted ?1000

Or do as i did, and spend an afternoon and less than ?200 and get a fully functional bluetooth solution that only misses the caller info on the i-drive screen, but that don't bother me i just wanted the bluetooth.

Also from what i can gather it IS possible to use the steering wheel controls for the kit, see Parrot's website for further info. However the control module i purchased is faulty as it seems to randomly power off during use and the main kit doesn't recognise when it's plug in either. Pound for pound the parrot kit absolutely SPANKS the BMW equivalent.
Old 03-30-2008, 10:35 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by andir' post='553250' date='Mar 30 2008, 06:59 PM
Hi Bruce glad to hear you got your wheels sorted btw!!

Well all Parrot kits (to my knowledge) have ISO connectors only for connecting to the stereo, now apologies if i'm telling you something you already know but for those out there that don't know ISO connections on stereos basically take all the cabling that goes into the average car stereo and splits them into 2 plugs, 1 for all speaker cables, and the other for power, electric antenna, etc. However the stereo in the E60 has a monster plug (which i noticed on RudeJA's post) where all these wires exist. So Parraot offer a kit to turn that plug into ISO's which then plug into the Parrot kit, and then from the Parrots ISO connection back into the BMW plug, basically it stops you cutting wires.
Thats what I thought it was doing, but I just couldn't make that out from the pictures. However how does Parrot know what all is connected to the BMW plug because that can vary. Unless they've played is safe and connected (looped) everything up together.

I believe with a little thought you could get the Parrot to display the caller ID too on the iDrive if you have one of those LCD screen units. Basically all you need to figure out how to get the LCD output into the iDrive. Well I do make it sound easy but I think its doable.

Quick Reply: Parrot CK3000 Install