E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Happy new E60 Owner!

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 07:00 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i Alpine White Premium package, Sport package, Nav, HUD, PDC

Greetings 5series.net! I have been lurking on these forums for the past two weeks and found a gold mine of information here. So first off, thank you to you forum veterans. I recently purchased a 2005 545i, Alpine White. I now understand why Bimmer owners LOVE their cars! I caught the Bimmer bug and am constantly looking for things to upgrade.

Anyway, I tried researching this topic using the search feature but was unable to find a concrete answer. I'm trying to upgrade the software to allow iphone/ipod use. I understand that I need to get the mp3 retrofit upgrade first, however the dealer told me that my car is too old to do this. I believe the production date on my car is 10/2004. Is there anyway around this or is it impossible for me to play mp3s through my iphone. Thanks for any reply!
Old 06-02-2010, 07:08 PM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 14 550i

Welcome! That is a SEXY SEXY color.

Michael
Acute Performance
Old 06-02-2010, 07:17 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

welcome and enjoy the forums.
Old 06-02-2010, 07:19 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: MY07 525xi Silver Gray
Model Year: 2007

& enjoy your new-to-you ride!
Old 06-02-2010, 07:27 PM
Senior Members

Thank you for the warm welcome!
Old 06-02-2010, 07:33 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i /w Sport pkg - SMG - Nav - Premium pkg - PDC - Ready to begin my modding! =)

Originally Posted by Kaizen
Greetings 5series.net! I have been lurking on these forums for the past two weeks and found a gold mine of information here. So first off, thank you to you forum veterans. I recently purchased a 2005 545i, Alpine White. I now understand why Bimmer owners LOVE their cars! I caught the Bimmer bug and am constantly looking for things to upgrade.

Anyway, I tried researching this topic using the search feature but was unable to find a concrete answer. I'm trying to upgrade the software to allow iphone/ipod use. I understand that I need to get the mp3 retrofit upgrade first, however the dealer told me that my car is too old to do this. I believe the production date on my car is 10/2004. Is there anyway around this or is it impossible for me to play mp3s through my iphone. Thanks for any reply!
Hey Kaizen, Welcome to the forums, and congrats on your new purchase!!! I am not 100% sure I can answer your question regarding whether or not you need MP3 functionality in order to have an iPod adapter installed. I would only assume here they are two different options as I believe the iPod/iPhone functionality is tied in on whether or not you had a CD Changer. I am sure others will chime in. However I can tell you if you have the Navigation option on your car, then you should be able to get the MP3 function working. The SIB related to MP3 functionality is from start of production provided you have a CCC car (ie Navigation) If you dont have Nav, then there was a cut off date for the MP3 option which if I remember correctly is was car build after March/April 2005.

I have a Nov 2004 built car and had my MP3 activated a few years ago and it works great!!!

Try doing a search for "MP3" and I am sure you will find more information and the SIB

GL
Old 06-02-2010, 07:46 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by IceyTys
Hey Kaizen, Welcome to the forums, and congrats on your new purchase!!! I am not 100% sure I can answer your question regarding whether or not you need MP3 functionality in order to have an iPod adapter installed. I would only assume here they are two different options as I believe the iPod/iPhone functionality is tied in on whether or not you had a CD Changer. I am sure others will chime in. However I can tell you if you have the Navigation option on your car, then you should be able to get the MP3 function working. The SIB related to MP3 functionality is from start of production provided you have a CCC car (ie Navigation) If you dont have Nav, then there was a cut off date for the MP3 option which if I remember correctly is was car build after March/April 2005.

I have a Nov 2004 built car and had my MP3 activated a few years ago and it works great!!!

Try doing a search for "MP3" and I am sure you will find more information and the SIB

GL
Thank you Icey, this helps a lot. I should have been more informative with my post. I do have navigation with the cd changer in my glove box. It appears the service rep was either misinformed, or wanted to avoid doing the upgrade. I remember reading the SIB a few days ago and I recall someone on these forums saying that the dealer must provide said service (free of charge) regardless if the warranty was expired or not. I DO have the extended warranty and extended maintenance so I was a bit shocked to first hear that I would be charged IF my car even qualified (which the rep claims it does not).

Maybe it was a miscommunication on my part. I will try to clarify tomorrow when I pick my car up from the dealer after maintenance.
Old 06-02-2010, 08:06 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i /w Sport pkg - SMG - Nav - Premium pkg - PDC - Ready to begin my modding! =)

Thank you Icey, this helps a lot. I should have been more informative with my post. I do have navigation with the cd changer in my glove box. It appears the service rep was either misinformed, or wanted to avoid doing the upgrade. I remember reading the SIB a few days ago and I recall someone on these forums saying that the dealer must provide said service (free of charge) regardless if the warranty was expired or not. I DO have the extended warranty and extended maintenance so I was a bit shocked to first hear that I would be charged IF my car even qualified (which the rep claims it does not).

Maybe it was a miscommunication on my part. I will try to clarify tomorrow when I pick my car up from the dealer after maintenance.
Yeah if you have Navi, then you're good to go on the MP3 action and yes it should be free if under warranty as the SIB states. I got mine done free, the only thing is I think I was still under the original new car warranty and not the extended warranty at the time, cant remember for sure. Best thing to do is print out the SIB (read it carefully for the warranty stuff) then take to the dealership. Some dealerships dont like to assume the risk during the upgrade, or dont know, or dont really care. If you print out the SIB and you have a good SA, they should be willing to help, and if not try another dealership.

Plus with the CD changer then you should also be good for the i Pod adapter, but that obviously wont be free!
Old 06-02-2010, 08:18 PM
Senior Members

Well I downloaded the SIB and it reads: "Covered under the terms of the BMW New Vehicle Limited Warranty" Is it referring to the original 4 year/50k warranty or will my extended warranty be honored? I'm afraid I'll have to pay for this, even if I convince the SA to go ahead with the retrofit. And what if something goes wrong with the upgrade? It's almost too much of a risk to take. It's too bad the previous owner didn't request this to be done earlier. It would've made this process a lot easier!
I guess I'll find out tomorrow, wish me luck! And many thanks for the replies.
Old 06-02-2010, 08:26 PM
Contributors

My Ride: '10 Switzer "Ultimate Street Edition" GT-R

Well I downloaded the SIB and it reads: "Covered under the terms of the BMW New Vehicle Limited Warranty" Is it referring to the original 4 year/50k warranty or will my extended warranty be honored? I'm afraid I'll have to pay for this, even if I convince the SA to go ahead with the retrofit. And what if something goes wrong with the upgrade? It's almost too much of a risk to take. It's too bad the previous owner didn't request this to be done earlier. It would've made this process a lot easier!
I guess I'll find out tomorrow, wish me luck! And many thanks for the replies.
I did mine a year or so...I had to pay out of pocket...I think it was around 2 bills or so...The ipod unit will cost around 2-3 bills...So your looking at spending about $500 to do it, but its worth it! I was told several times they could not do it either...You'll just have to find a SA that is willing to find the mechanic that will do it for you!

Quick Reply: Happy new E60 Owner!