E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Weird Sound During Slow Right Turn

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 08:39 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I turn right at very slow speeds, I hear a deep hum sound with the rotation of the wheel. In other words, each time the wheels go around it hums. It might do it at higher speeds too, but it's inaudible. I was thinking it might be a wheel bearing, but also read about someone having a bad tire hearing a similar sound. I have a small chunk out of my right tire, but I'm not sure that this would be the cause. Someone also mentioned a damaged rubber boot. The car is a 2007 M5 with 15k miles, so it seems a bit early to need a new wheel bearing.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Old 05-04-2010, 08:54 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: A Car

Could very well be a CV boot. Get it on a lift and checkl
Old 05-04-2010, 09:54 PM
Members

does it sound like a "whooooo," a sort of harmonic tone?? i've been dealing with the same when i make slow left turns.....

a number of threads that i've searched and no one seems to have a definitive solution. i want to take it into the dealership to get it fixed, but the last time they said it was because of my "low profile" tires, which is utter bull......

https://5series.net/forums/topic/903...&#entry1069287
https://5series.net/forums/topic/880..._fromsearch__1
https://5series.net/forums/topic/938...&#entry1109823
https://5series.net/forums/topic/951...&#entry1125572

they topped off my steering fluid the last time i took it in.....didn't fix it......

good luck and please let me know if you find out what it is.....
Old 05-04-2010, 09:59 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: A Car

If u have the Dynamic Drive or whatever the hell that thing is, it gives u that ooooo too. ESPECIALLY when the A/C is on, it's crazier.

An RPi exhaust will muffle the sound/ LOL
Old 05-04-2010, 10:04 PM
Members

Originally Posted by brabusw209amg
If u have the Dynamic Drive or whatever the hell that thing is, it gives u that ooooo too. ESPECIALLY when the A/C is on, it's crazier.
really?? i think i have my a/c on all the time.....do you know what's causing it? i do have both active steering and active roll stabilization......
Old 05-04-2010, 10:27 PM
Members

It's an intermittent hhhmmmmmm hhmmmmmm, as the wheels turn. And it seems to be more pronounced the sharper the turn. Only happens when I turn right.

I read in another forum where the guy had the same issue, and it turned out to be a small slit in his tire...he found out later that it was much deeper than he could see from the surface. I have a small chunk (dime size, 1/4" deep) out of my right tire. But it seems like this would have an effect when turning left.

Like I mentioned, I don't hear at faster speeds...maybe because of the speed, or the fact that I'm not turning the wheel as much.

I plan on taking it to the dealer, but it's always such a pain to leave it there while they try and figure it out. And letting them drive it makes me cringe. Last time they gave me a ding in my door, so I'm too excited to return.

Thanks for the quick responses
Old 05-05-2010, 03:13 AM
Members

My Ride: '05 545i Silver Gray Metallic

I had that Problem too weeks ago. Everytime the car went warm, after few miles driving, as i pull to 90 degrees to a parking spot, it humss... and only to the right.

Took in to the dealer, and they found rotors were bad, and cause pads to have uneven wear... anyways. They replaces the whole front brakes (rotor,pads,fluid) for free under CPO.

If you have CPO, take it in. take the foreman for a test drive (Insist on it, if you can barely hear it, because they always act like, "I didnt hear anything" )

If not, try to measure the thickness. look at the edges, and check the pads. If they are OK then check the other items already m,entioned above.

good luck
Old 05-05-2010, 10:06 AM
Members

Was yours a constant hum as you were turning or was it intermittent as the wheels rotate? My car is still under warranty so that part will not be an issue. It's just always a nightmare when I go in there...they'll probably claim that everything is fine.

Thanks
Old 05-05-2010, 10:09 AM
Senior Members

I had the same problem.. Only when turning right it sounded like a rubbing noise or a HUMMM...

Took it into the dealer and they did something with fluids in the diff? Does that sound right? Let me know if you figure it out, otherwise i will call my SM and ask what they did.. Whatever they did.. it worked, and hasnt since.
Old 05-05-2010, 11:43 AM
Members

I actually read something similar in another thread. They mentioned that there was a sort of recall stating that if the customer complains about this type of noise to replace some fluids. I don't remember it being the fluids in the differential but maybe.

If you could find out, I would appreciate it. Thanks!

Quick Reply: Weird Sound During Slow Right Turn